Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Why is netgear using old hardware for new product?

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation
vampyren
Guide
Guide

Hi,

I just saw this page with the not yet released Flexpower business grade Arlo:

https://www.netgear.com/business/surveillance/FlexPower-Camera.aspx

I thought Finally Netgear is comming to its senses and releasing a ONVIF model. This is something everyone would welcome. Next i see that the camere is actually based on last years Arlo and not the new Arlo2 which is 1080p and has zone selection + live stream support.

I just cant understand why Netgear is releasing a new package meant for businesses with a worse hardware they sell to homeowners! It does not makes sense unless Netgear wants to sell the same thing 2 times in a year and call it a upgrade. Even the exising Arlo Pro 1 & 2 should have this ONVIF enabled.

I returned my Arlo Pro package with 3 cameras last week and was going to order the new version with 1080p but i also want ONVIF.

So i like someone from Netgear to clarify why they release the FLexpower with old hardware and why we dont get the ONVIF on the existing home versions? I doubt there is a technical problem.

For router yes netgear is good for Arlo camera its really bad, close solution (we want ONVIF).
Also the new FlexPower that is going to be released uses last year hardware with 720p and no realtime stream, why??
ITs sad netgear is getting to greedy now. Sell old stuff and upgrade in 6 month to sell again, sad !!!

4 REPLIES 4
steve_t
Master Master
Master

Different things for different needs. You must really hate Apple too since they release a new phone every 6 months and have features other phones had 4 years ago. This flexpower kit probably started being developed long before the Pro 2

vampyren
Guide
Guide
Not really, no matter if your a company owner of private person you want to get the best product for your money. I'm both a business owner and home owner so I need the best hardware.
I don't even want to comment on the Apple thing. I don't know if you work for Netgear or not but it makes you look really bad to justify a bad desition like that.
This is as I see it a software update and has nothing to do with hardware.. Either way Netgear should deliver the best hardware for something that is not yet released. I work with development myself by the way. If Netgear wanted what's best for it's customers they still could make it happen.
steve_t
Master Master
Master

Nope. Don't work for Netgear. I've just been here a while helping people out so they gave me some purple badge. 

Don't get me wrong. I'd love for every bit of tech that gets released to be the absolute best tech there is currently available at an affordable cost but I'm also realistic. Who knows, maybe the Pro 2 cameras will work with the Flexpower base. I'd never even heard of it til your thread but many of us have been asking for ONVIF for some time.

One good thing about here is if you want something, you can pop it into the Idea Exchange section and if it gets heaps of kudos, the Netgear engineers look harder at implementing it.

vampyren
Guide
Guide

To be honest i found about Flexpower when i was searching for more info about Arlo pro2. There was a article in Theverge about the Flexpower. Since i just returned my "old" Arlo Pro and was going to buy the Arlo pro2 i was sort of shocked that a not released product was using my old hardware.

Arlo Pro2 is just 1 month old and it has not even come to Sweden. Usually developers work with interfaces in software so there is no reason to think the feature can not work on Arlo Pro2.

I hope you and others can give kudos then 🙂

Price wise Arlo is among the most expensive compared to the likes of NEST. One advantage Arlo had was the subscription price. Now with the new feature CVR and "3-second Look Back" i thought we will finally get something great but then i see that the subscription makes these features less appealing. Even Nest is cheap compared to the new price model. 99$ for each camera to get the extra features is sort of crazy. If we had ONVIF then we could have the option to choose but nope. Even home users like to have ONVIF.

Was very happy to find the Flexpower still but then i will be getting the same hardware i just send back :(, assuming this means not CVR, no 3-sec lookback and from what i can tell no multi zone selection.

I'm sure Netgear could update the firmware for the new Pro2 but the question is if they actually want to.

Even multi zone feature was promissed for the first Arlo but never delivered (i read on other forums).

As a user we all should hold the companies accountable for their products and strategy.

I hope we can get more kudos for some attention. Cheers.

ps. its great that people like yourself help users!