Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 11 Replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
InTheBleachers
Guide
Guide

I understand that the ARLO PRO II is coming soon? I was curious if anyone has the details of when it will be available for purchase? The current Arlo Pro v1 is getting long in the tooth (more than a year old) and competitors have introduced very compelling solutions. From what I have gathered, the ARLO PRO II will have 1080p resolution, 130-degree lens, Continuous recording to the cloud (not just when motion is detected) and will have 7 days continuous recording for each camera.  Christmas is almost here, and I feel that ARLO PRO should be replaced by the ARLO PRO II before Christmas (I hope). In addition, since ARLO PRO is getting long in the toothe and behind current standards, I feel that a price decrease on current ARLO PRO should be coming soon, too ...to clearout inventory and make shelf space for the nee ARLO PRO II. So if anyone knows more information about release date and availability, please let me know, by replying to this post. Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Paul_FCCL
Prodigy
Prodigy

Yep announcement on 10/10/17

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
steve_t
Master Master
Master

Unfortunately, we'll never know details of anything new until they actually announce/release them or there's some kind of 'leak' like how Apple release their details. I hope you're right about the 1080p res but I doubt it'll have continuous recording unless the camera is permanently powered as it would drain the battery in no time. Where did you see your speculation/leak for specs?

InTheBleachers
Guide
Guide

I got the info from someone inside the company. Normally most consumer electronic companies do what Apple has done for decades....releasing new products in September or October, to peak interest and demand during the feeding-frenzy of Christmas purchasing season. Gifts for others or gufts for themselves. It's the nature of the consumer electronics beast. So, with that in mind, the ARLO PRO has been out more than a year...and the features are becoming obsolete (example 720p, face recognitions etc  is just one example that is being eclipsed by Netgear competitors. To remain competitive, Arlo Pro will need to be refreshed with NEW features, in order to be top of mind with consumers. Reducing the SRP of the ARLO PRO by at least $100 , should take place just prior to release of the ARLO PRO II, in order to differentiate products and increase demand to the price sensitive who cannot afford the current ARLO PRO. in addition, most consumers know that prices DO NOT go up, but you get more features for the same price as the older, obsolete products. So..I do know that the ARLO PRO II is in the works, but just trying to find out if it'll be available prior to Christmas?? If not, Netgear will miss out on the prime buying season and will have to wait another 12 months to launch  to the feeding frnezy buying season.  NEST (just came out with a complete feature rich product line, RING is expanding their technology, Vivant has a compelling product line and Logitech just revamped to the Circle 2 products. Netgear ARLO is getting dated...and to remain competitive, they MUST launch ARLO PRO II immediately. Lots of choices ...and I'm evaluating them, to see which I will purchase. If ARLO PRO II doesn't come out ...I will purchase one of the above mentioned and be locked into their ecosystem for the next 10 years....each time adding products to my ecosystem with the same manufacturer to remain compatible. So....Netgear management, do youself a favor and take my well expeirnced advice and release ARLO PRO II now!! Don't delay...the competion will take your place.

steve_t
Master Master
Master

Agree that it would be great timing to get it out before Christmas sales start happening but at the same time, it seems all the tech companies are in too much of a rush to get things to market and release products with serious flaws. It would be a good way to damage your brand by releasing products that don't work properly.... looking at you Geofencing 😛 Jokes because I know geofencing is still a beta function but the point remains

steve_t
Master Master
Master

If you're on facebook, check out the Arlo Smart Home facebook page

Paul_FCCL
Prodigy
Prodigy

steve_t wrote:

If you're on facebook, check out the Arlo Smart Home facebook page

or on Twitter......

InTheBleachers
Guide
Guide

Hmmmm...seems like the 'crystal clear' headline means it's going to be 1080p and several new features that I mentioned in my initial questions about when the ARLO PRO II is going to be released.  Boom! 2 days later and it seems like tomorrow is intro day. I wander if my analysis helped 'nudge' management into releasing the product. If so....great. My advice is drop the 720p systems $100 and keep the pricing the same as it is, but include better specs and features. Bravo Netgear....for doing the right thing and releasing the ARLO PRO II. Can't wait till tomorrow!

Paul_FCCL
Prodigy
Prodigy

Yep announcement on 10/10/17

InTheBleachers
Guide
Guide

Does either the ARLO PRO or ARLO PRO 2 have a "Day In Brief" feature, which would allow you to see an entire 24 hour period in :30 or :60 seconds?

I own the original Logitech Circle cam and am considering replacing my system with the ARLO PRO or ARLO PRO 2 systems, but need to know if the ARLO solutions have a day-in-brief feature? I can remotely log in and choose certain time clips...or choose a quick 'day on broef' to see what happened while I was away, in eother 30-second or 60-second review. A whole day in 30 or 60 seconds.

I REALLY like the "Day In Brief" feature of my Logitech Circle, and need to know if Netgears ARLO PRO or ARLO PRO @ have this feature?? If YES, I will purchase the ARLO PRO or ARLO PRO 2 system this week.

Thank you, in advance, for answering this important question.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Previously answered in another thread.  Short answer, no.

InTheBleachers
Guide
Guide

I've been reading that the video clip recording for the battery operation of the ARLO PRO and ARLO PRO 2 records when motion is activated. I also have read that after the recording length selected, these cams take a few seconds to reset themselves to sense motion and then record again in a new clip. Well...from what I've read, NETGEAR supposedly updated with a software version and claimed it was working. But, from users feedback in some cases it made it worse and jumbled and sliced up video segments? Basically, what are the choices for video recording lengths....and how quickly does it starts recording segment 2, when segment run hits it's end point. Those few second to reset and not record while it's resetting are an issue I cann't accept. I need a seamless recording on clips. What feedback can you (the community) offer from your experiences and this recording reset issue?

steve_t
Master Master
Master

InTheBleachers wrote:

I've been reading that the video clip recording for the battery operation of the ARLO PRO and ARLO PRO 2 records when motion is activated. I also have read that after the recording length selected, these cams take a few seconds to reset themselves to sense motion and then record again in a new clip. Well...from what I've read, NETGEAR supposedly updated with a software version and claimed it was working. But, from users feedback in some cases it made it worse and jumbled and sliced up video segments? Basically, what are the choices for video recording lengths....and how quickly does it starts recording segment 2, when segment run hits it's end point. Those few second to reset and not record while it's resetting are an issue I cann't accept. I need a seamless recording on clips. What feedback can you (the community) offer from your experiences and this recording reset issue?

Record until activity stops works well for me giving me clips of various lengths. BUT just because the person is in the field of view, doesn't mean the PIR is sensing them. Sometimes the person will be in the far edge of the field of view and you can still see them but the clip will stop. I don't think you'll ever be able to avoid this with PIR motion detection but pixel based detection, like the Arlo Q, would require a permanent power source if it ever worked with the Pro/2. The time for the Arlo Pros to recycle and be ready to record again is significantly less than the Arlo HD