Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

What happened to the preview picture in the emails?

Discussion stats
Rueg
Apprentice
Apprentice

In the Arlo notification emails, there always used to be a preview picture so I could possibly see what was captured in the video.  This stopped coming thru a few days ago making the Arlo emails pretty useless.  Is there a way to get the preview picture in the emails back?  I didn't change anything.  They just stopped showing up. 

Thanks.

Steve

175 REPLIES 175
treebuilder
Apprentice
Apprentice

The problem is simple:  They changed the HTML in their emails, and now it's not rendering properly in major mail clients and web-based email systems.

It strongly suggests they didn't do enough QA before the change.

Given that, it makes me nervous that video feeds from my home are being streamed to a company that can't even properly test an HTML change in email.  It doesn't give me the warm fuzzies about their ability to secure my data.

SP1123
Tutor
Tutor

Hello duffer303, sorry to hear you are having the same issue that I'm having.  It's really frustrating and takes WAY longer to check out each notification the way it is currently working.  I speculated in my reply to bagabond that it is a Comcast issue (although Comcast suggested that it is an Outlook issue; this confused me because I have the problem regardless of whether it's Outlook on my home computer or the email app on my smartphone).  I do not seem to be having the problem of photos coming through from Comcast with emails from any other sender.

treebuilder
Apprentice
Apprentice

The issue has nothing to do with your ISP.   Netgear changed the HTML source code in the emails they send out, and now it doesn't render properly in several major mail clients or web-based email systems.

SP1123
Tutor
Tutor

Great, thank you very much for the info.  After seeing your reply I also stumbled onto some other discussions about the same issue (they started last week, but somehow I didn't find them in searching for this topic before I started the discusison thread).  Sounds like lots of other people are also concerned about the issue and I saw a message from an Arlo moderator that they are looking into it. 

ranran
Apprentice
Apprentice
Yes. Just checked that the pictures open fine in gmail in a browser. They do NOT open in Outlook 2019. OK Netgear...your users have yet again identified a problem for you to fix.....how long will it take for you to fix your HTML?
rulviebaby
Guide
Guide

Hi gang

I actually spent an hour plus explaining this in a chat session last week - it was brutal.   But,  they accepted the case and I got this response this morning.  Personal info and reply links have been redacted.   Perhaps they do listen to direct chats and if you have phone support maybe you should call.  Of course there is no time estimate.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Arlo Support Case # 40891557

Dear Paul Wasson,

Your case has been updated by Arlo Support.

Case #: 40891557

Case Summary: Email format of motion notification changed on Outlook 2010

Product: VMB4000

Update from Arlo:

Hi 

Good day!

This is Jesse from Arlo L2 support, I just want to update you regarding on this case. We are currently checking this case with the team since we receive lots of concerns regarding on this issue. We already reported this problem as well and we will update you as soon as we receive a feedback from the appropriate team regarding on this issue.

Thank you for choosing Arlo, have a great day!

regards,

Jesse
L2 Arlo support

treebuilder
Apprentice
Apprentice

Based on the response, it would appear at least part of the problem in communicating the issue is that English is not their first language.

neteng47
Tutor
Tutor

@JessicaP using Office365 Version 1905 Build 11629.20196 and Windows 10 Mail Version 16005.11629.201740.0 does not display the preview image or format of the footer with the logo and social media links.  It does work with IOS Mail and Outlook for IOS 3.25.0.

Rueg
Apprentice
Apprentice

@JessicaP  - any update on this issue?

Thx.

Rueg
Apprentice
Apprentice

Screen shot from Arlo email 2019-06-07 104739.png

rulviebaby
Guide
Guide

I agree ...... it's getiing quite old viewing motions. 

Perhaps the community should take the discussion off of this forum and move it to Amazon reviews or whereever you purchased the product.  Maybe Netgear would get the urgency of the issue then.

JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Our development team is still investigating the reports regarding this. We appreciate everyone's patience once again and will update the community once we hear more information from our team. We apologize for any inconvenience given.

Heavy_D
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hello Jessica and Arlo Team,
Thank you for advising there is an issue and it is being looked at.
As a simple courtesy, could you kindly update the site at https://status.arlo.com/ under the Notifications section?
I shouldn't have to come to the forums to find known issues.

Respectfully,
Chris D.
jruddy
Aspirant
Aspirant

Dear Arlo,

You recently made a change to your email alerting template. It used to show a still shot but longer does in Outlook. Works fine on my phone.

Outlook 2016, latest updates, no setting changes made recently.  It definately relates to the template change.

Thanks

epic_maus22
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have been having this same issue. Outlook 2016 and the default Samsung email app on my Galaxy S9 both no longer display the video snapshot in the email. This began with the template change for me as well on May 23rd, 2019.

watcher29
Guide
Guide

We have the Arlo Smart Premier plan, 5 basic Arlo cameras, 3 Arlo Pro cameras, and an Arlo Q.  Looking at the email notifications (for all 9 of the assorted cameras) I now just see the big blue rectangle on my computer - on my phone, the image actually flashes on the screen too fast to really see, then goes to the blue rectangle, but at least it is trying to get the image!  The email notifications are now worthless....  I really miss that preview picture in the email, and hope it is fixed soon!     

Rueg
Apprentice
Apprentice

@JessicaP  - can you at least tell us if they are planning to fix this problem so the preview picture will once again come through on the Microsoft Outlook app and others?  It has been 3 weeks since this issue was reported.  Functionality has been removed since I purchased my Arlo cameras and I will be returning mine to Costco soon if this issue isn't fixed.

MindCandy
Aspirant
Aspirant

Ive been watching this thread for weeks, but looks like there still isn't a fix for this. Are the devs really looking into it for weeks now, could you just roll back to the older emails that were working fine?

BBriggs
Aspirant
Aspirant
I was experiencing the same issue with the preview not showing in the notification email. What worked for me is within the email account settings turning on "Show Images". Once this was turned on my image notifications started showing again within the email.
grover5177
Guide
Guide
Still not working right for me. Was using Blue Mail for Android and gmail email account and after the latest update, mail snapshot disappeared.
Blank area where the snapshot should be is still a valid and clickable link to the video. Changed to Outlook for Android with same gmail account and pictures appear normally.
JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Our team is still investigating this issue with the reports they're receiving. We appreciate everyone's patience once again and will be sure to update the community once we have any new information from the team.

paulrosslaw
Tutor
Tutor

the missing picture in emails issue has now gone on for almost a month and is beyond ridiculous: Outlook 2016 does not show the picture yet Safari on a Mac or IOS does, and clicking in Outlook 2016 to view in a browser does show the picture in IE.

the picture was visible for years and why you have done something to stop it displaying in late May 2019 is bizzare, as is the failure to put it right

simply appalling!

AHS82Mike
Aspirant
Aspirant

When will we know the preview picture matter is resolved?

Rueg
Apprentice
Apprentice

I think they are purposely removing features.

AHS82Mike
Aspirant
Aspirant

If I read my Emails from a browser like Chrome or FireFox, the preview is there. But using outlook or other Email client/programs I have lost the previews. Not sure why I have to view my Gmail in a browser to see the preview. Gmail is what I use for Email for Arlo related communications.