Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

What file system does local storage use

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
thomastayloriv
Aspirant
Aspirant

Does anyone know that type of file system the local storage uses? I tried plugging a 1TB drive in and it said it needed to formated which it did but then i could not read it on any computer. Reformatted it on the computer with the NTFS and Arlo said it needed to be formatted. I tried unplugging and plugging the power back in to the base station but still says the samething.

5 REPLIES 5
JPC
Prodigy
Prodigy

FAT32. Try unplugging it properly thru App or Computer. Remember, it will record Motion only not Manually by pressing record on live view. Viewing it from a computer sometimes need a compatible program such as VLC to play an mp4 format clips. 

pc2k17
Hero
Hero

It uses FAT32. Any computer running windows 95 or higher can read FAT32. Just like on a computer, make sure to unmount the USB drive correctly.

The correct steps are:

Open Arlo app

Tap 3 dots in upper right corner > tap settings

Tap My Devices

Tap Arlo Pro

Tap Local Storage

Tap your USB device (most likely called USB Device 1)

Tap Safely Eject USB Device

Insert into computer and your good to go.

Note: videos are saved in MP4 format. If your running Windows 10 the default Windows video player will play them fine.

Also remember to safely eject the USB from your computer as well when done.

FYI - a 1TB drive is over kill. The videos are small, a few Mb in size. A 1 Gb thumb drive is really all that's needed.   

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I'd go bigger than 1GB unless you're just trying to keep a few days' worth of videos around (obviously depending on how many videos you get per day).  You don't have to go huge - I use a 16GB drive that stores at least a month with 100-200 videos a day, 400-800MB/day.  YMMV.

thomastayloriv
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have unplugged it safely using the app on arlo and the computer. It does seem that the larger drives dont support FAT32. I tried a smaller 4gb thumb drive and i could format that to FAT32 on my computer without an issue. I tried a WD 1TB and a seagate 2TB drive and both of them would not format to FAT32, only option I had was NTFS or exfat. I'm guessing the newer larger drives don't support FAT32 anymore. Thanks for the help

JPC
Prodigy
Prodigy

thomastayloriv wrote:

I have unplugged it safely using the app on arlo and the computer. It does seem that the larger drives dont support FAT32. I tried a smaller 4gb thumb drive and i could format that to FAT32 on my computer without an issue. I tried a WD 1TB and a seagate 2TB drive and both of them would not format to FAT32, only option I had was NTFS or exfat. I'm guessing the newer larger drives don't support FAT32 anymore. Thanks for the help

Most likely it's the operating systems design such as Windows 10. Macos Sierra still do support it. Of course, you can always use a third party program for windows 10 if you need to format your disk to FAT32. Google is your friend.