Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
dgalicinao
Follower
Follower

I have an Arlo Pro camera on our driveway but my Netgear WiFi C7100V connection is at the backroom of our house. Signal is very weak and only one small bar. Do I need to buy WiFi extender?  

31 REPLIES 31
brh
Master
Master

@dgalicinao

My cameras work just fine on one bar. I wouldn't recommend another base station unless that camera constantly drops out.

Brian

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Your router has no effect except as relates to the base location. If you need a better base location, use a longer Ethernet cable or a WiFi extender that has an Ethernet port to plug the base into.

Bowski81
Initiate
Initiate

Are you saying that the cameras ONLY connect to the ARLO base station directly, and will not connect "through" the network, even if they are sitting right next to a wireless router?

If this is the case, then this product may not be useable for me.  I have 2 of my 3 cameras that I am trying to mount about 100' from where my base station sits in my study, and they don't seem to be able to maintain a connection.  I placed a wireless router within feet of one of them, but the camera says the device is still "Linked to Base Station".

Do I need to wind up buying "another" base station?

If that is the case, that seems like a big step backward in technology.  Why can't the camera just connect to the closest wi-fi signal and transmit all its data through the network to the base station?

Thanks in advance for any explanations.

brh
Master
Master

@dgalicinao

The base stations serve two purposes. They communicate with the internet to Arlo servers and communicate back and foorth to each camera. The base unit is the brains of the operation. With all of the IoT devices in use today, range and inteference from other devices is an issue.

The base stations each need to have an internet connection through an ethernet connection. They will not communicate with the internet wirelessly. So, no the cameras will not work by simply placing a router next to them.

So to answer your question, you may need to purchase another base unit and range extender if placement of the cameras does not give you enough signal strength.

In my opinion what it is is what it is. The draw with the Arlo system is that one need not hire an electrician or drill holes in one's house and run cables and Arlo communicates well with other IoT systems like Smartthings. I am very happy with both my Arlo and Smartthings systems.

The reason I mentioned the 2.4 Ghz vs 5 Ghz, (although I have been criticized for mentioning this), is that I have a dual frequency modem/router and when I purchased my range extender, it was also dual band. When I hooked up my second base unit to the range extender I thought I would get less interference by using the 5 Ghz band. The performance was not that good and neither was the range. I switched back to 2.4 Ghz and the system worked a lot better. So, if you are having range issues, try both bands and see what works for you.

Brian

Bowski81
Initiate
Initiate

So Brian,

First of all, thank you for your reply.

However, I believe you are missing the jist of my commentary.  If I go to the far end of my property, my wi-fi on my iPhone is not limited by its range to the iMac on my desk.  It will connect to the closest wi-fi access point that is can find on my home network.  Whether it is connected to my iMac, my "BASE" Airport Extreme wi-fi router, or some other router out in my pool house does not affect the data that it can send and receive to either the Internet or to another specific device on my home Network.

It makes virtually no sense that an Argo camera has to talk "DIRECTLY" and "SOLEY" to an Argo base station in order to communicate the information that it wants to get to the base station, and then presumably onto the Netgear/Argo sites on the Internet.  

The camera should seamlessy be able to speak to the closest wi-fi access point on my home network that is on the same network as the base station, and then communicate that information through the network to the base station.

I find this to be a severe limitation, as my cameras WILL NIOT communicate with my base station from the outside corners of my property; yet I have EXCELLENT wi-fi signal strength from my home network where I want to mount the cameras, as I designed my property and wi-fi coverage with that in mind.

Unless I hear something different from NETGEAR in the next few days, I will have to count my blessings that I bought this system at COSTCO where I can return it "no questions aked".  Additionally, I will be providing formal feedback to COSTCO regarding what I see as the deficiencies in this design.

Again, it makes no sense to me.  If I put a NETGEAR router on a corner of my property, ethernet connected to the same network as my base station, the camera will not use the NETGEAR router to connect and transfer information to the base station on the same network.  Absurb for where technology is today.

brh
Master
Master

@dgalicinao

Thanks for your reply. You make a very good point that if your smartphone, as tiny as it is, can communicate both ways for a much longer distance than the Arlo system ten Arlo should improve its range limitations. We all wish that Arlo would address this issue. Having longer range would solve a lot of Arlo's support problems with cameras falling off the network, and would boost their bottom line as there would be a lot less returns.

That being said, What it is is what it is. Arlo advertizes 300 feet line of sight with no interfering structures such as walls, windows, etc. 

But before returning it, you need to research the competition to find what you need.

As far as communicating directly with a router, I don't know of any other system that does that.

Arlo, I believe was meant to work with the IoT boom that is going on right now and has two great advantages over most of its competition:

1) The cloud service is free with 7 day recording for the first 5 cameras, ( which probably covers the majority of the households that purchase their systems). Most of the other systems I have researched charge a cloud service fee from day 1 and are quite a bit more expensive than Arlo's cloud service.

2) Early on Arlo worked together with Samsungs Smartthings IoT service/home automation system. This is big, because right now Smartthings is the leader in this field. This integration has brought Arlo a tremendous amount of sales. Home automation and IoT is expanding at a very rapid rate. I also believe they either are or will be integrating with other IoT systems.

Arlo does not meet all of my security needs, but as I research other systems to fill the holes in my setup, I just don't want to spend the money on their cloud services and I surely do not want to drill holes in my walls and run cables.

Finally, the Arlo system will not do what you are expecting as the range limitation is less than you want and the cameras will not work directly with a router. They must have an Arlo base station that is hooked into a router.

Brian

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

First, you must remember that these are NOT IP cameras. To make them more secure, they connect only to the base stations through a dedicated WiFi connection that we have no access to.

Secondly, your example of your phone or any other device that connects to your WiFi being able to move around and connect to various router or extenders on your network is essentially the same thing as Arlo. Each base station is, for all intents and purposes, a stripped down router. Just as you use extenders to expand your WiFi, Arlo uses base stations to do the same thing. While it doesn't work exactly the same way, it's basically the same thing.

Lastly, this is all spelled out in documentation, reviews, etc. There should be no surprise as to what's required as well as how it works.

steve_t
Master Master
Master

I have an Arlo Pro camera at the edge of my property that has 'only' 1 bar of signal strength and it works fine.

As above, it's a closed network and the cameras only connect to the base station and the base station can only connect to the cameras. Sorry if you didn't realise this when you purchased.

HOWEVER, you could look at an Arlo Q or Arlo Baby if the camera is to be located indoors and with constant AC power as those connect via wifi

kmiller8821
Luminary
Luminary

I realize that others have mentioned that these are not IP cameras, and therefore, do not hang off your primary network as IP cameras do.  What I didn't see mentioned, is why.  The primary reason the arlo cameras must talk only to thier base is due to battery life. The "wifi" connection that is made between the arlo camera and the arlo base is a special connection that allows for lower battery usage in order to keep the camera synced and on the network.  While I agree with you that this limitation can be frustrating, it's all clearly spelled out in the product documentation.  Based on your feedback, it sounds like these cameras may not be the best option for you.  That said, other cameras will also pose similiar issues.  For example, while nest cameras can connect directly to your network without a base, they need power to do so.  You may not have power, if you do, then consider using a system that doesn't have a base requirement and you'll probably find yourself to be happier.  In order to achieve the battery life these cameras achieve, you have to be willing to accept that they use a special wireless signal and base to achieve it. Simple as that.

Paul_FCCL
Prodigy
Prodigy

wrote:

I have an Arlo Pro camera on our driveway but my Netgear WiFi C7100V connection is at the backroom of our house. Signal is very weak and only one small bar. Do I need to buy WiFi extender?  

Had same problem......solved it by moving base inside garage and connected it to powerline network extender. Works great now since base station is still close enough to other cams in/out of the house. Kind of a distance problem for modem/routers position inside, with brick walls all around.

Cassel
Tutor
Tutor

I vave my base station pretty much dead center in my house and a cammera at each corner and a 5th at the front door. All cameras are at no mre than 40 feet from the base station and reception for ALL of them is crap. Considering my understanding of the base station is it noly communicates with the its Arlo cameras and noting else and then communicate that information via my router. I have the fastest speed service/routher available (business account) I am getting about 58 mps download and 12 mps upload. It seems that accessing all cammeras off sight via the Arlo app is very slow and delayed. I will try to go wired with them to see if they improve or if I need to start shopping for replacement system. I was very excited and did what I thought was all my research and have ultimately become disapointed.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

40 feet can be an issue depending on the environment. Even 10 feet can be. Are the cameras outdoors? What is the house construction? Stucco can be a problem due to the wire mesh supporting it. Someone else here recently had this issue - putting the base in the window worked fine but not through the walls.

brh
Master
Master

@Cassel

The main thing you need is signal strength from the base station to the cameras. Base stations are quite inexpensive and you can add as many as you need. I have one base station in the center of my house and 1 each additional at each end of my house to maintain 3 bars of signal strength for all my cameras. Works well for me.

Brian

Dangerc
Aspirant
Aspirant
Connect the base station to one of the WiFi extenders that
Has an Ethernet connection that is in the middle of your cameras and you will improve the reception to the farthest cameras
Hasturo
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi all,

i really do not understand why Netgear does build this Setup as is. They are claiming that this is Wireless 802.11n System.

So everyone would assume, like me, that you can configure Wireless related Setting. Choose Channel, Choose SSID Name etc. Im living in a high density Area, so a lot of tuning, from a wireless point of view, is necessary.

In my opinion, execpt from support view, there is no reason why i cannot connect the Cameras to my existing Wireless Network, why the Cameras cannot communicate with the Arlo Basestation via Ethernet Port and, why there is no option to change minimum the Name and the Channel of the Wireless Setting.

Thank you Netgear, that Arlo Security Solutions are announced with a SSID Name in my Neighbourhood. 🙂

I really like the System and with some future Feature Implementation it would be perfect.

Best Regards, Hasturo

PS.: Sorry for Thread Hijacking 🙂

Cassel
Tutor
Tutor

I have the same week signal at 3 of my cameras that are only 30 feet from the base. It is frustrating that the geofencing works almost a city block away and teh cammeras dont even work inside the house. If I were having a problem with someone breaking in it would take so long for teh video feed to come up on the phone I would be dead before it ever aquired a signal. Most often I have to try to connect at least three times to get the damn thing to show a picture. Long and short this system is likely better to capture video to review after the fact when you are dead rather than being able to see real time and request police help if needed. Big let down with this system. I was better off with the crappy Z-Moto system.

Cassel
Tutor
Tutor

I am a few months into having the arlo system and it is more and more of a let down daily!! My dogs are more efective than the arlo. Last night my dogs were barking up a storm at the front door and I had my cell phone in hand and tried to access the video and it took so long the dogs settled back down, I went to my nightstand to get the old fasioned security and by the time I made it to the door I still had NO video feed. I measured the front door cammera to the base station and it is 20 feet. with no obstructions walls, doors etc. This product needs a HUGE upgrade to make it a viable security cammera. Save your money folks.

KHO
Tutor
Tutor
Brian are you using routers or WiFi extenders with your additional bases? Thanks fir your info as I’m looking st the same scenario and I have The WiFi extended with Ethernet ports. Available.
KHO
Tutor
Tutor
Brian did you set up additional routers or use WiFi extenders with Ethernet ports?
brh
Master
Master

@KHO

I went the expensive route and purchased the Netgear Orbi router with two satellites. (Had other reasons besides Arlo). It was worth every penny I spent. Mesh networks use the latest technology and have several advantages over the conventional routers with extenders. Firstly, the Orbi uses a separate channel and radios to handle the backhaul communications, so the speed is not being cut in half. The transition from router to satellite is seamless as you walk around your house, especially if you have a big house. Unlike conventional routers with extenders, the satellites are not named differently as they would be with extenders where each extender has to have a separate name. My upload/download speeds match or exceed the specs from my internet plan. There are enough ethernet plugs on each satellite to plug in several devices.

Brian

JoeCymru
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

It should also be mentioned that many other smart home devices use hubs. In most cases these are Z wave or ZigBee connected to the hub that is connected to the router. Not all routers in the installed base are Z wave or Zigbee ready. In additon to all the other answers above, having smart home devices connect to their own hub which connects to the router is not unusual at all. Some devices connect to universal hubs which connect to the router. For example I know of only one smart light or switch type that directly connects to the router, TP Link Kasa. Most of the others use Z wave, ZigBee or even Bluetooth (C by GE). Arlochoose 2.4 GHz wifi for its hub (base) connection.

cbl1961
Aspirant
Aspirant

I too have a camera on my driveway in back of my garage and had only 1 bar.  I bought a Google WiFi and connected the Arlo hub on one of them closest to the garage and now I get 3 bars.  But the live feed isn't really live, it's still about a few seconds delayed.  I watched the live feed of people entering their cars and leaving but what I heard is not the same or instantaneous to what I was watching.  

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@cbl1961

There will be a small delay because of the communicating between the camera, base station & back to your phone.

cbl1961
Aspirant
Aspirant
That’s true!