Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 11 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
joegumina
Tutor
Tutor

All my videos now have a motion "trail" following the moving image. In other words, say a person walks in front of the camera for a distance of say 5 feet, you will see that person's image for the entire 5 feet, as if the person is leaving a "trailing" image behind him. What would cause this and how do I fix it? I'd attach an image to this post, but I can't figure out how if there's a way to do it.

11 REPLIES 11
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@joegumina wrote:

All my videos now have a motion "trail" following the moving image. In other words, say a person walks in front of the camera for a distance of say 5 feet, you will see that person's image for the entire 5 feet, as if the person is leaving a "trailing" image behind him. What would cause this and how do I fix it? I'd attach an image to this post, but I can't figure out how if there's a way to do it.

You can share a video (putting the link here), or attach a still image using the paper-clip below the  posting window or by using the camera icon above it.

Have you tried removing the battery in the camera and then reinserting it?.

joegumina
Tutor
Tutor

All my videos now have a motion "trail" following the moving image. In other words, say a person walks in front of the camera for a distance of say 5 feet, you will see that person's image for the entire 5 feet, as if the person is leaving a "trailing" image behind him. What would cause this and how do I fix it? See the image below.

2020-01-14 (2).png

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

I think there are a couple of possible causes - including a hardware issue with the camera and possibly bitstream corruption along the path between the camera and the cloud storage.

Start by removing/reinserting the battery, and see if the issue resolves.  Then I would suggest moving the camera fairly close to the base (indoors), and see if you still have the problem. 

Singled5678
Aspirant
Aspirant
Was there any proper fix for this? I’ve noticed my system has randomly started doing this now too, along with other issues I’ve raised elesewhere here.

It seems if I turn my camera off and on it fixed. But thus has happened a few times now. This will render the footage pretty much useless if the camera does it during an event without me realizing its doing it!!
Singled5678
Aspirant
Aspirant
Attached
joegumina
Tutor
Tutor

No proper fix was offered. Was told to remove batteries from cameras and then reinsert them. Thought this helped somewhat, but soon realized was still getting these motion trails. Agree that this issue renders camera footage pretty much useless. Chose this Arlo system because it was one of the only wireless (not hardwired) systems, but have not been very happy with it for a multitude of reasons (including lack of solutions offered by Arlo itself. Seems we have to rely on these Community posts only. 

Singled5678
Aspirant
Aspirant

Happening again... Screenshot 2020-03-16 at 11.38.55.png

JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Hi Singled5678,

Have you tried what StephenB and joegumina has suggested above? Otherwise, contact the Support Team to further investigate this issue. You will find several options for contacting support in the provided link.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@joegumina wrote:

but soon realized was still getting these motion trails. 

The motion trails are happening because there is packet loss along the path (camera -> base -> cloud).  It's most commonly on the camera->base link.

If the camera is on AC power, then try disconnecting that power - some here have reported that sometimes AC power seems to provoke this problem.

Otherwise, look at the signal strength on the particular camera.  As a test, try moving it closer to the base station and see if that helps.

Another test that is sometimes useful is to connect USB storage to the base station (if your base station supports it).  Then you can review the recordings on the base, and see if they also have the corruption.

Singled5678
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thanks for the response!

My cameras are all on full strength, I’m using the hub that came with my pro cameras.

The odd thing seems to be this started when I installed a pro 2 and the doorbell.

My three pro cameras all have been fine until. Also I started getting the connecting stuck state.

I have spent a fortune on my system. 4 cameras and the doorbell.

I am wondering if I should try the smart hub, but that’s more expense?
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Singled5678 wrote:
I am wondering if I should try the smart hub, but that’s more expense?

I don't think that will help.

If this is happening with just one camera, then try swapping that camera with another that is working well.  Then see if the problem moves with the camera (or if it stays with the location).