Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 37 Replies
  • 11 Likes
  • 12 In Conversation
relicdavis
Follower
Follower

So just hooked these bad boys up. The Iphone app doesn't allow me to adjust rules for record time. So created a new mode to record while movement. Tested only recorded 10 seconds. Created a mode with a rule to record for set time. 60 seconds in front camera, and 2 minutes on the back camera. Worked. I then created a new mode that said again, record on motion. I tested both camera for 20 seconds of motion. the front camera recorded for 59 seconds, 30 seconds no motion (80% sensitiy) and the back camera record for 1 minute and 59 seconds.... Seems pretty buggy to me. I really would like it to record on motion only, but seems like that is impossible.

Update* (Example video) of recording with no motion.

https://arlo.netgear.com/#/viewShared/2A38ADBCB429FDBF_201612

Rule:

Only records on motion, not sound. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Engineering is investigating this issue. This feature is still under development at this time and users should select a predefined length for recording until this feature is officially released. We will be removing this feature until it is ready for release.

JamesC

View solution in original post

37 REPLIES 37
manofice
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
I think that new feature is buggy and will be fixed in time I'm sure
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Should be working.  Power cycle the base.  What firmware versions are installed in everything?

Aroppymoo
Aspirant
Aspirant

So Frustrating. This mode [record until motion stops up to 300 sec] Does NOT work.

Set Saved, Saved, Saved....

Recycled power on base.... Still nothing.

What happends is, for example, you set your rule to let's say 30 seconds. Everything is fine. Then you set your rule to "Record Motion up to 300 sec." What ends up happening is that the video records for 1 second less then the last setting.

So I set to 30 seconds, Then I switch , and it records 29 seconds

I set to 60 seconds, Then I switch it, and it records 59 seconds.

Its definately changed something - but something is definately wrond.

😞

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I can verify this behavior as broken.  It's gonna take an update to fix.  Have you opened a case with support?

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Engineering is investigating this issue. This feature is still under development at this time and users should select a predefined length for recording until this feature is officially released. We will be removing this feature until it is ready for release.

JamesC

Aroppymoo
Aspirant
Aspirant

Guess I do not have to open that case... Thanks for for the verification that the feature is still under development. I told Santa today to help the guys out at Netgear fix this ASAP because it is a setting that makes perfect sence for many of us!

God Speed...  🙂

clwood
Tutor
Tutor

JamesC wrote:

JamesC

This is frustrating. This is about the only reason I purchased these cameras was to record video as long as motion is occurring. I hope this is the top priority of your team or I'll be returning these 3 pack Arlo Pro Wireless cameras promptly.

Edit: I see in another thread that this is now fixed for Arlo Pro Wire-free cameras and I just needed to go update all my rules. I'll try it out.

Suggestion: In addition to the physical motion sensor, once the camera has started recording it could continue to record motion if it is detected in the picture (not just the physical motion sensor but image detection) to overcome the limitations of the short motion detection distance/view angle of the cameras.

ranran
Apprentice
Apprentice

Nope... still buggy - Not sure where the main thread on this is, but:

I received an email from Netgear a week or two ago saying the option to record while motion detected feature was uploaded to my Arlo.

I enabled it on all my cameras, but I find it only records ~14-20 second clips, regardless of whether the motion continues well past that.  I have tested on multiple cameras and right in the center of the field of view.

It can't seem to record longer than that....

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
It certainly does record for more than that but motion has to be detectable with a pause in the action of no more than about 5 seconds D's. You can test this by walking back and forth within the camera's rather be (20 feet or less). The usual problem is that motion does stop for more than 5 seconds so the recording stops. It will pick up again once motion is detectable again. I've tried this and it works as advertised. I've also decided against this mode in certain situations since I would rather have to timed recording.
ranran
Apprentice
Apprentice

Not so far with my system.

And this is with me and my daughter raking outside, picking up piles, moving the wheelbarrow, dog running around and chasing sticks......  a series of 16-24 second videos is all I've been getting, despite consistenly moving for longer than that....

Several times, I'm walking across the backyard, and the camera picks me up, records me walking...and then stops right in the middle of me walking right through the field of view...  something not right there....

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
That would seem to be the issue of detectable motion. Without being able to see your action, it's hard to be sure but distance​, sensitivity, etc. can cause the camera to not be able to detect. Post a video so we can see.

I also found a restart of the base was needed to make it work right.
ranran
Apprentice
Apprentice

I'm not a big fan of posting either pictures or video of my family, but consider this:

I have 5 cameras.  I have enabled the "Record on Motion Detect" option on all of them.

I rebooted the base station.  Since that time, I have yet to see *any* of my cameras be able to record a video longer than about 25 seconds regardless of distance, action, etc...

Front portch - My wife was standing on the front step moving around and talking to neighbors for several minutes.  Video length?  16 seconds.  Distance ~ 8 feet.

Backyard camera - My daughter was raking, moving around, using the wheelbarrow.  Video lengths, a few intermittent at ~16-20 seconds each.  Nothing continuous.  Distance ~ 20 feet

Driveway camera - washing my truck - moving all around, spraying ,etc..... for about an hour.  Video lengths?  ~15-25 second intermittent videos.  Distance ~ 15-20 feet.

So, I know that with multiple cameras there is motion longer than the actual videos.  Am I the only one that seems to be having this issue?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
I've had the short videos but it was because motion stopped or wasn't detectable. How about making a test video or two with the sole purpose of sharing here so nothing untoward is seen?
ranran
Apprentice
Apprentice

I could probably do that - would walking back and forth across the field of view be sufficient for this 'test' video?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

That should be fine.  Just be sure to vary the motion stop duration as well as the distance.  I've found that >5 second motion stoppage results in the recording ending.

RWEED
Apprentice
Apprentice

I have the same issue, a bunch of 16 second or so videos even though the motion never stops.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
The motion may have continued but may not have been detectable, like being too far from the camera. Care to post a clip we we can see?
RWEED
Apprentice
Apprentice

Here is an example, these 2 guys were talking for about 15 min and moving nonstop (both are very animated). All the recordings are about 16 seconds.

Capture.PNG

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Can't be sure but it would appear that the distance could be the issue here since ~20 feet is about the max for good people detection. Two people talking aren't generally moving much and small movements of arms, etc. may not be easily detectable at that range.  I'm not saying this is definitive but that would be my guess.  Try the same thing while walking continuously in the same area and I'll wager the recordings will be longer.

FakeJohnStamos
Aspirant
Aspirant

Just purchased the Arlo Pro set, updated all firmware and i still have the issue described in the thread.  I have not recorded a single instance where my cameras kept recording while motion was still ongoing.  I get 16s clips like the other user above.  My detection distance is <20feet and my sensitivity is at 90.  

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Test it yourself by walking back and forth within the detection range.  Stop for <5 seconds and then continue to verify the recording continues.  Stop for >5 seconds to verify that recording stops and a new one begins after a reset period. Like all PIR detection schemes, motion is best detected across the FOV, not directly at or away from it.

I use record until motion stops on one camera but a timed recording for the other because it works out better for me.

ranran
Apprentice
Apprentice

Ok,

I know this took a while, but I did what you suggested and recorded myself walking back and forth in my backyard.  Here are the clips:

https://arlo.netgear.com/hmsweb/users/library/share/link/C07966564DACFFF6_201706

https://arlo.netgear.com/hmsweb/users/library/share/link/23EECC5B58AFE985_201706

https://arlo.netgear.com/hmsweb/users/library/share/link/509E6245482E4FEE_201706

I just kept walking back and forth and you can see how the links just keep stopping at about the same time ~15-16 seconds.

Something just doesn't seem right with this record on motion.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
The big problem is the distance since the cameras will detect people at 25 feet or less. I strongly believe that's ​what folks are missing - the ability of the camera to be able to detect motion. These videos show much greater distance so to some degree you're lucky to be detecting motion at all.

You're going to need to use timed recordings or get the camera closer to the action. Your eyes see the motion but the PIR detectors don't work that way.
ranran
Apprentice
Apprentice

Soo... you're saying the distance isn't too great to "trigger" recording, but just to continue recording?  That doesn't make sense.  Why would it trigger in the first place if it can't detect at that distance? 

My cameras are *constantly* triggering as soon as someone comes in range - my neighbor's kids love my backyard and they are in it all the time.  The initial camera trigger is consistent, but recording length continues to cut out at ~16 seconds even though they are running and driving their little electric car all over back there...  So, I have numerous piecemeal 16 second videos

Also, keep in mind this is happening on *all* my cameras at distances from 10 feet and out...... I just used that as an example.  Almost every single video I now get is about 16 seconds, regardless of location, distance, etc...

Given this data, I strongly question it being a matter of distance...