Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

VMB4000 will not format anymore

Discussion stats
  • 11 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation
Nicktown
Aspirant
Aspirant

Since 2017, I've had a 1gb external drive attached to my arlo base station.  The other day it decided to die (unresponsive on arlo and laptop).  I bought the identical external drive however my arlo (vmb4000) will not format it.  I used my laptop to format it as FAT32 but the base station says it requires formatting. When I try to format via the base station,  it tries for about 3 seconds and then says  "requires formatting".

I also tried a smaller flash drive and have the same exact issue.

I've rebooted my base station multiple times.  I've also checked for firmware updates.

Any help is appreciated..

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Nicktown wrote:

Thing is, I bought the exact same external drive (same specs).  The previous one was USB powered and lasted 6+ years.  

Often there are production changes, so even if the drive has the same labels there might be differences inside. In the case of USB hard drives, the internal drive inside the case might not be the same as the old one (and sometimes manufacturers use more than one drive model, depending on their inventory). 

FWIW, I generally recommend using thumb drives instead.  Easily replaced, less clutter, and 128 GB or so gives me more than enough storage.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Nicktown wrote:

Since 2017, I've had a 1gb external drive attached to my arlo base station.

1 TB?

Nicktown
Aspirant
Aspirant

Crap, yes 1 TB.  I scanned the forums here as well and saw a similar issue from a few years ago which had a resolution that involved updating the firmware after a fix was released.  My base station is up to date.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Nicktown wrote:

1 TB. 

Thx - I was guessing that, but wanted to confirm the storage was over the 16 gb threshold.

Try going into the Windows Disk Manager, and see if the disk manufacturer installed two partitions (the disk manager calls them volumes).  That will confuse the base station.

Do you have a thumb drive you can test with?

Nicktown
Aspirant
Aspirant

Checked disk manager and only 1 partition.  I am reformatting the drive using a full format in lieu of the quick format to see if that makes a difference.   Also going to pick up a 16gb flash drive and see if that works.  

Any other thoughts while I'm waiting for those things?  I appreciate you taking the time to help out. 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Nicktown wrote:

Any other thoughts while I'm waiting for those things?   

The base only supplies USB 2.0 power (500 ma), so if the drive can powered separately, then try doing that.

Nicktown
Aspirant
Aspirant

Unfortunately the drive is powered by the USB. I'm waiting on a 32gb USB stick to show up to see of that'll work.  

I guess worst case, I'll buy a newer base station model if nothing else works.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

All of the Arlo bases and hubs use USB 2 so the power limitation will be the same. External power or the new stick would be the answer.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@jguerdat wrote:

All of the Arlo bases and hubs use USB 2 so the power limitation will be the same. External power or the new stick would be the answer.

Assuming the problem is that the replacement drive needs more than 500 ma of power of course.

Nicktown
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thing is, I bought the exact same external drive (same specs).  The previous one was USB powered and lasted 6+ years.  Seems strange that the base station is suddenly unable to do what it had been doing.  I will be trying a usb flash stick today to see how that works.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Nicktown wrote:

Thing is, I bought the exact same external drive (same specs).  The previous one was USB powered and lasted 6+ years.  

Often there are production changes, so even if the drive has the same labels there might be differences inside. In the case of USB hard drives, the internal drive inside the case might not be the same as the old one (and sometimes manufacturers use more than one drive model, depending on their inventory). 

FWIW, I generally recommend using thumb drives instead.  Easily replaced, less clutter, and 128 GB or so gives me more than enough storage.

Nicktown
Aspirant
Aspirant

Looks like you are correct sir. 64gb flash drive worked just fine.  Something must have changed with the replacement drive.  Thanks for all your help.  Really appreciate it!