VMB4000 No power

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Hoopsrm125
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have owned the base station and 2 cameras for 13 months. Last week the base station died, no LEDs lit, no power at all. Switched outlets, purchased a new power adapter and no luck. If I turn the lights off in the room I can ever so faintly see the LEDs light up, but obviously not enough power to boot the system. Since I am one MONTH out of warranty, and have not paid an additional monthly fee beyond the $350 for the system "I am not entitled to live support". Would like to check the forums first before I post my true feelings on this type of disgusting and pathetic type of customer service.
10 REPLIES 10
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Hoopsrm125 wrote:
...purchased a new power adapter and no luck. If I turn the lights off in the room I can ever so faintly see the LEDs light up, but obviously not enough power to boot the system. ...

Are you certain the new adapter has the same specs (including polarity) as the original?

Was there any sign of a utility power issue when it failed (brown out, etc)?

Hoopsrm125
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thank you for the reply. I purchased the new adapter from Amazon, it has the same specs and is specifically listed as being compatible. Has over 1k 5 star reviews. I was unable to find a direct replacement from Arlo, so this was as sure as I could be. There were no signs of power issues. I have other devices connected to that outlet and power strip and none showed complications. I also connected it to a different slot in the power strip itself. The new adapter is exhibiting the same behavior as the original Arlo adapter.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Hoopsrm125 wrote:
Thank you for the reply. I purchased the new adapter from Amazon, it has the same specs and is specifically listed as being compatible. Has over 1k 5 star reviews. I was unable to find a direct replacement from Arlo, so this was as sure as I could be. There were no signs of power issues. I have other devices connected to that outlet and power strip and none showed complications. I also connected it to a different slot in the power strip itself. The new adapter is exhibiting the same behavior as the original Arlo adapter.

Have you tried a factory reset of the base?  https://www.arlo.com/en_eu/support/faq/1057976/How-can-I-reset-my-Arlo-SmartHub-or-base-station-to-t...

Hoopsrm125
Aspirant
Aspirant
Yes, but since the base station is not powering on it has no effect.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Hoopsrm125 wrote:
Yes, but since the base station is not powering on it has no effect.

Well, we know it isn't booting up.  But that doesn't mean there is no power.

In any event, if the factory reset doesn't work, then something must have failed in the base hardware.  The next step would be to find another base (which is definitely annoying, especially given the timing).

Hoopsrm125
Aspirant
Aspirant
That is what I was afraid would be the resolution. There are forum posts for years with tens of thousands of views about this issue. There is no way I'll be spending another penny on anything from Arlo, especially given the fact that I am not even "entitled" to contact them about the issue with out additional cost to me. Their devices come at a premium, and I expect at least the minimum amount of tech support. Simply Safe has continued to impress me with their support and loyalty. I'll be spreading the word and buying Wyze cams. Pathetic waste of a company.
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hey @Hoopsrm125

Let me look in to this for you and I'll see what I can do. I see the base seemed to fail a few days after your hardware warrant expired. I'll get back to you soon.

Thanks!

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

I have contacted the Arlo Team and was able to approve a replacement VMB4000 for you as an RMA. I will provide another update as soon as possible. 

Hoopsrm125
Aspirant
Aspirant
That's wonderful news Shayne !
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

It looks like you were contacted by the support team & provided RMA information, I hope all went well.