Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Using a USB Battery Bank with Arlo Pro

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Artful_Dodger
Aspirant
Aspirant

Does anybody know if it is possible to use a rechargeable USB battery bank with the Arlo Pro camera? The Arlo battery pack on my camera dropped from 100% to 67% in 24 hours. Not acceptable.

So I am looking for other options. Is it possible to run the cameras on USB battery banks like this?:

https://www.amazon.com/26800mAh-Portable-External-Technology-Li-polymer/dp/B01LWPR9LS/ref=sr_1_1?s=p...

I could drill a hole through the wall to run the USB cable, the fill the hole with caulk, leaving the cable in place. Then just swap out the battery banks as needed. Since the Arlo battery is 2440 mAh, this would give me 10X the run-time.

Would this work??? 

OR is there another battery (such as a 6 volt brick) that can be used with the Arlo Pro via the USB port???

Thx,

Dodger

8 REPLIES 8
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Yes it is possible , if you leave the battery pack out as the Pro will run fine on the standard 5 v USB supply.

But you may be overthinking it... Why not just use the ac adapter and run the Pro without the pack....esp since your already using the cable.

As to 6v, don't know...ran the Arlo directly from a 6 v gell cell for a few weeks without problem. Have never tested on the Pro

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
Artful_Dodger
Aspirant
Aspirant

Well, this is news! And all this time I was thinking Arlo Pros run only on batteries. I thought the AC Adpater was only for charging the batteries, not running the camera full time.

But that brings up several more questions:

1. How long is the Camera Power Adapter Cable? I need as much as possible, since I will be running the cable into the attic & setting up a new electrical outlet specifically for this. (Yes, it is a headache.)

2. I'm assuming that even with the 4 camera Arlo Pro system, only 1 Camera Power Adapter Cable and AC Power Adapter come in the box. Is that correct? Can these be purchased seperately? I will be running at least 3 of the 4 cameras initially and will probably find a spot for the 4th. So I'll need 4 cables and power adapters.

3. Is it safe to run the camera on the AC adapter 24/7/365? Nothing will overheat / burn up / explode? (That would be bad.)

4. Is the battery in the camera or out of the camera when running on AC?

Artful_Dodger
Aspirant
Aspirant

Breaking news!

Just saw this on Arlo's website. They are coming out with a new Outdoor Power Adapter (VMA4700)

https://www.arlo.com/en-us/products/arlo-pro/outdoor-charging-cable.aspx?cid=amb

This should solve all my Arlo related problems. Hopefully.

Now if they would only give you some useful information, like how long the power cord is, that would be nice.  :~)

It says coming soon. How long is soon?

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

A quality usb adapter ( standard 5v ) at about 1.5a would run the Pro camera fine ( without battery )

I've run mine on an apple usb adapter cube with the right usb cable.

As to length of cable... stock is just about 6 1/2 ft long.... but you can buy a quality cable up to 15ft I believe as it's a normal micro usb plug(?).

You would have to seal the plug at the insert point but if the adpter is inside, that shouldn't be a problem.

Or just buy Netgears new cable and not worry

Morse is faster than texting!
Artful_Dodger
Aspirant
Aspirant

Would a USB cable like this work, 15 feet, Micro USB 2.0 Cable, Type A Male / Micro-B Male?

http://www.cablewholesale.com/products/usb-firewire/usb-2.0-cables/product-10u2-03115bk.php#reviews

This would be plugged into an Apple USB cube, which is plugged into a standard 110v outlet.

Would that work? IS USB 2.0 suitable or 3.0 better? Does that make any difference in this application?

It doesn't say that it is 5a or not.

OR

Is there a better (higher quality) USB cable available? 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
A USB 3.0 cable wolnt work - different connector (it's wider). Use a fast charge cable or one that has similar sized wires - cheap ones use smaller wires and will cause problems.
Artful_Dodger
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you for your reply. 

Can you post a link of a USB cable you would recommend? I am looking for the best quality cable available but don't know which is best. Also a cable that is at elast 10 feet long would be good.

Thank you.

Dodger

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

When I buy USB cables, I search Amazon for "usb fast charge cable".  Just don't buy cheap - it's false economy. Compare wire gauge.