Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Using US version in UK

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
rjfraser86
Aspirant
Aspirant
I want to buy the arlo pro 1 camera kit. Which I preordered on amazon UK. However, they haven't had any stock.

Does any one know if I can buy it from the US and just use a different plug? Will it work properly - no problems with voltage? I want to get this ASAP now

Cheers
7 REPLIES 7
steve_t
Master Master
Master

You'll need a different voltage power adapter and not just a travel adapter to convert the pins. Either that or a stepdown transformer but $$$$

Not sure about the UK release but our release is planned for exactly one month away. If you order this now, will you receive it within 1-2 weeks?

MarkC
Luminary
Luminary

From what I have read they are completely compatible and I have some cameras coming over myself. I did read though that one person wrote that the their AC Adapter for the cameras were set to an input of 110v however mine (UK purchased) state 100 to 240v so perhaps someone from the US can check theirs for you to confirm. I would have thought they would all take the voltage range but I definitely read this somewhere.. Saying this you can use any Quick Charge 2.0 or 3.0 USB Charger which are really cheap on Amazon., just get a branded one if it comes down to it.

Mine is all hidden away in the loft but I am certain that the Base Station PSU was universal voltage.

You will just need US to UK adapters. The EU Camera PSU come with replaceable (clip on/off) adapters in the kit (UK, EU) but I do not believe the US ones do.

Amazon do have the 2 Camera bundle in stock, I realise it is more money but if you can afford it I would would go for it (the Amazon 2 Camera bundle has gone back down to £450 from £500 now). I started on the first Arlo with 2 cameras, within a month I had purchased another 10 (lol) and am now gradually replacing them with the Pro Cameras after buying the 2 Camera Pro bundle. I will bet that you find yourself adding more cameras (depending on your situation of course) so in the long run it is much cheaper to buy the 2 bundle now. Best of luck!

@rjfraser86

In addition to the above, you really need someone from the US to see what the input voltage is on the Base Station PSU, this is the important one as the cameras can charge etc. off 3rd party adapters. My bet is that it is universal voltage in which case you will just need a travel adapter to use it.

I ditched Arlo! As a Company they hold their Customers/Us in complete contempt! We beta test producs for them, the products only work properly for ~70% of the time at best!

If you are serious about your home or work security then look elsewhere! Get a ip Camera System with an NVR and some Blink XT cameras to cover the places you cannot run a cable to. You will NEVER regret moving away from Arlo!
steve_t
Master Master
Master

Sorry, just read the Arlo Pro base station does come with a universal voltage adapter. Guess it was just the original base that didn't

Should be good to go with a travel adapter

rjfraser86
Aspirant
Aspirant
I was about to order from amazon US but checked the BT shop and they have them in stock. Hope this helps someone!

Thanks for the advice guys, the reason I want the 1 camera package is because I only need 2 way audio on the camera at front door. I will use the first gen cameras every where else.

Cheers
SSU
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hi all, I have two follow-up questions that I'm hoping you can help with.

Background: I have an existing Arlo (not Pro) system with three cameras, but would like to add one Arlo Pro camera. Importantly, I would like to leave the additional camera permanently plugged into a power socket.

The thread above suggests a standard travel adaptor would do the trick and be safe for using a US-bought Arlo Pro STATION in the UK - am I right in thinking the same is true for an Arlo Pro CAMERA?

Besides plug issues, would there be any other compatibility issues to adding a US-bought Arlo Pro camera to a UK Arlo three-camera system? I have visions of adding it and the app refusing to play ball!
steve_t
Master Master
Master

It works fine. You just need the travel adapter but the power adapter itself runs 100-240V
The base station will allow up to 5 cameras (doesn't matter where you buy them) before you start having to pay a subscription

SSU
Aspirant
Aspirant
Terrific. Thanks for your help.