Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Thumbnails on Recordings

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation
ralfyguy1
Luminary
Luminary

Has anybody noticed that since last night the thumbnails for recordings are delayed about 2-3 seconds into the recording instead of being the first recorded frame. I used to be able to tell what triggered the cameras right away when looking at the thumbnails in the library, but not anymore. For example when a person walked passed in front of the camera, the person is not shown in the thumbnail. The recording worked correctly and shows the entire event, but the thumbnails are not first frame anymore.

4 REPLIES 4
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

This is exactly the problem that Arlo has tried to fix. Previously, the thumbnail was from several frames into the video. People whined. So they changed it to the beginning of the video. People whined. So it's been changed back to several frames into the video. Guess what's happening?  🙂

There may be a happy medium that could be achieved. The initial frames are of a different brightness level than the rest of the video as the auto-exposure system reacts. How many frames into the video to be used for the thumbnail is the question - should it be frame number-based or time-based? Nothing is going to be perfect nor please everyone.

ralfyguy1
Luminary
Luminary

Thanks for the explanation. I thought something was wrong with my system and tried rebooting everything and disconnecting and reconnecting cameras, ejecting USB drive, etc. I will really miss the first frame setup. I have a ton of recordings in a given day and it is gonna take me 10 times as long to sort though them.

ralfyguy1
Luminary
Luminary

BTW, where is this thread where people complained about it? It just changed overnight without warning. And I actually was surprised that I found nothing about it in the community. That's why I initially thought my system was broken.