Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
secaz
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Has anyone noticed, lately, discrepancy between thumbnail on Arlo Smart push notifications and the actual videos?

I will receive a smart notification for, say, a vehicle, and the thumbnail clearly shows the vehicle smack dab in front of the camera.  However, when I go to watch the video, I often see NO vehicle AT ALL, or just the tail end of it going around the corner down the road.

How can Arlo give me a thumbnail of a vehicle right in front of a camera, but not start recording until the thing is long gone?  The vehicles are only going about 20 mph on average.  This last fubarred video, the vehicle was going 20 mph or less... and Arlo didn't start recording until the vehicle was a couple hundred feet down the road.  All I saw in the video was a glimpse of the tail end of this vehicle going around the corner, the rest of it was already out of frame.

Yet, I received the Arlo Smart push notification with a thumbnail of the vehicle as it passed right in front of the camera.

I have it set to record until motion stops.  Maybe Arlo should add a setting to tell it to record when the motion STARTS?

I hate this system.  For years it's been one thing after another, a never ending stream of bugs, burps and broken firmware...

8 REPLIES 8
shoustonnz
Luminary
Luminary

Why am I sent a thumbnail of a person or a car detected by a camera. But this person or vehicle is not captured on video. By the time the camera has started the event has passed. This has been a problem for well over 3 months now. It did work well. We captured, and had tracked by police a person breaking into our vehicle in July of this year. But now the way the system is performing it would have missed them.
Obviously the camera is seeing activity, it is showing me in a thumbnail. But the recording is slow to activate and missing the action. Sensitivity is set to100%. We have smart notifications.
I have swapped cameras I have reset cameras. I have reset the base station.
The video is set to record 45 secs but every clip is 43 seconds.
Have Arlo removed a pre record buffer in a firmware update.??
As I say it did work. But has changed since July. I know I am not alone with this problem.
Please address it. New Zealands fair trading act, will class this product NOT FIT FOR PURPOSE.

secaz
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Thx - comforting to know it's not just me... not that Arlo will do anything about it...

Also having issues at night - cameras trigger but nothing in videos or in thumbnail... very frustrating especially since my neighbor is a criminal and delights in stalking my cameras...

Things were working pretty much ok before this last round of updates.

And can't reboot base stations remotely, they won't come back online.  This was a big problem earlier this year, seemed to have gone away for a spell but is back again.

Lovely system.

JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Hey shoustonnz and secaz,

Try to optimize the motion detection to see if that helps: How do I optimize motion detection for my Arlo camera?

Otherwise, contact the Support Team to further investigate this issue. You will find several options for contacting support in the provided link.

shoustonnz
Luminary
Luminary
Thanks Jessica.
As I say all was good. We even caught and prosecuted an offender. But Since July something has changed, not only with me but other users to.
We have used your guides to place cameras. Swapped cameras, reset everything.
Basically what customer support tell us to do.
shoustonnz
Luminary
Luminary

I forgot about the USB attached to my base station.

Looking at those files the camera is recording and perfoming as expected.

The files are all 45 secs long, as I asked Arlo to do. Where as the duplicate files available on the cloud are 43 or 41 seconds long,. The files on the cloud start late. but finish at the same time.

So that defeats the theory that my camera positioning is bad. The files are recording locally just fine.

But that does not excuse the fact that the files available that most users view on the cloud are not duplicates.

Can other users please check the files they have recorded locally and see if there discrepancies in file length., compared with files recorded by Arlo on the cloud.

Please post results here

shoustonnz
Luminary
Luminary

I forgot about the USB attached to my base station.

Looking at those files the camera is recording and perfoming as expected.

The files are all 45 secs long, as I asked Arlo to do. Where as the duplicate files available on the cloud are 43 or 41 seconds long,. The files on the cloud start late. but finish at the same time.

So that defeats the theory that my camera positioning is bad. The files are recording locally just fine.

But that does not excuse the fact that the files available that most users view on the cloud are not duplicates.

Can other users please check the files they have recorded locally and see if there discrepancies in file length., compared with files recorded by Arlo on the cloud.

Please post results on my post 

https://community.arlo.com/t5/Arlo-Pro/Thumbnail-shows-person-car-is-detected-but-recording-does-not...

secaz
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I had to take USB drives out of my three base stations, they would not remotely reboot with them inserted.

And now base stations won't come back on line anyway if remotely rebooted.  I can always count on at least one not reconnecting if I do that.

Often times a base station will go offline for no reason at all.  I work from home so if there was a power outage, I'd know it.  Everything will be going along fine then I'll look up from my computer screen to see a has base station lost connectivity...

Arlo is a useless and undependable mess.