Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Solar Panel replacement cable

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
docdon
Aspirant
Aspirant

Why is so freaking hard to have Arlo Telephone support answer ONE QUESTION.  They sliver more than any snake in business I have seen.  The cable from my solar panel (ARLO BRAND) cable has frayed at the input of the bottom panel (push clip to remove) ~~ {{right up there with APPLE  and their cord fraying issues that continue to haunt}} and a freaking squirrel jumped on my cable to the camera and broke the end off and fell in the underbrush, never to be found again!  ARLO SUPPORT told me, after I just added a 3 Security Pro Pack, (I test for differing companies - and I am {{maybe was}} an Arlo Supporter and the lights made a nice addition; and I digress:  The support tech told me IF I PURCHASE a year subscription to the ARLO SMART plan, [$108.00 USD], they would be able to send me a complete Arlo Solar Panel for it's price on the web page which is $79.99!!!!  WTF !!???????   IMHO this is legalized EXTORTION! 

Good thing i only do didactic for testing of so many companies or this would be the VIRAL VIDEO on a YouTube Page.  This is insane!  Anyone else see this is wrong on all levels??

6 REPLIES 6
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

docdon,

I'd like to take a closer look at your open support ticket. Do you have a case number I can reference?

JamesC

docdon
Aspirant
Aspirant

No. RUDE - NOT LISTENING INSISTED on purchasing Smart Plan  AND another solar panel!  Just after I added a 3 light system to my existing Arlo Pro 2 camera system!  Your support techs need to LISTEN and try to put 3 or 4 ENGLISH words that make sense!  I test for a lot of companies and NEVER have been treated this way.  Total DISGUSTING 

And I can't more pics - get you IT up to current web/pic forwarding.  Just SO SAD

docdon
Aspirant
Aspirant

I can always be reached by phone 24/7   ~~~ not that anyone would contact me ~ only on public forum ~~ NOT.  Customer service needs to be trained in relating to public and learn it is IMPOLITE to not let one finish a sentence!  OUTRAGEOUS 

iKnight71
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hello DocDon,

Did you have any luck in sorting out a replacement cable?

The cable is unfortunately the weakest part of the product, and its proprietary moulds at each end of the micro-USB connector make it unique to Arlo.

I have wildlife in my area that like to chew on cables, so yet again, I'm placed in the same boat.

docdon
Aspirant
Aspirant

iKnight71

Yes I understand your frustration.  It would have been easier to pull my own teeth!  It took me a week to get ANY results from Arlo - although they did replace it, they wanted me to pay for it (at first said I would have to buy an entire new Panel) and after speaking to many upper level Arlo people.  They reluctantly sent me a replacement cable - which like you, the critters in the yard will find the new cable soon - so unless you live in a bubble, I would think twice about spending the money on panel since the squirrels love to chew on cables.   It would behove Arlo to find something other than the covering they use on the cable that could be less attractive to God's creatures!  

iKnight71
Aspirant
Aspirant

I hear you, and happy that Arlo had finally come to the party.

Although in the land of Oz, we don't have squirrels, we have brushtail possums, and large birds like cockatoos, galahs and rosellas that just love to cause havoc on my solar panel cables.  Immediate resolution once a replacement cable is plugged in, which isn't easy when your kit is mounted in trees.

I strongly encourage you to consider "bird spikes" if you are also mounting your hardware in this way.  Just installed these yesterday, after a second cable was destroyed on this panel.

Attempting a solution for replacements with Arlo as I type.