Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Smart Home Security - Motion Detector turn on Camera Recording but NOT TRIGGER ALARM

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation
kian
Aspirant
Aspirant

Is it possible to have this scenario in Smart Home Security:

2 Door Sensors that will trigger Alarm and Sirens

1 Motion Sensor that will trigger Arlo Pro camera to record but NOT trigger Alarm and sirens

I want my camera to record motion from outside the front entrance door while its sitting on the kitchen countertop behind a glass window. I realized the Arlo Pro cannot detect motion through glass so I need a work around and it seems having a motion sensor on the outside of the door will suffice. But I also want our Smart Home security to continue to work without triggering the alarm if motion is detected OUTSIDE the home. 

Thanks for any help.

2 REPLIES 2
steve_t
Master Master
Master

You can do this but you would need to integrate something like Smartthings. The only thing is that the smartthings motion sensors are meant for indoor use. I use an Arlo Pro camera outside as a motion sensor, since it's IP rated, in conjunction with smartthings to trigger lights and can trigger the base station siren. Why do you want to have the Arlo inside? The smartthings multi sensors on the doors should be no problem at all

kian
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi, Thanks for replying.

Well, first off, I want the Arlo Pro inside because I have no other choice. The ceiling on the outside of our front door is at about 7-8 feet. So anyone with a foot stool could just get on it and take the Arlo right off. The motion sensor would be placed on the outside of our kitchen window which is perpendicular to and right in front of the front door. As the Arlo Pro cannot detect motion through windows, I was going to use the smartthings motion sensor affixed to the outside of the window to detect motion and trigger the Arlo to start recording.

Yes, I am going to use SmartThings as Smart Home Security is part of the SmartThings app. I just now realized I probably posted this in the wrong forum/website but maybe you or someone else would have some further knowledge to spare.

You say the motion sensors are not intended to be used outdoors. Is it because they are not weatherproof? Because I don't think I have too much to worry about as we live in a condo so our front door entrance is under a roof/set of stairs and far from any direct rain/wind. If it's because someone could steal it, well I can deal with that for now as it's not too much of a cost to replace. If it becomes an ongoing problem of theft then I probably do have to think of something else. If it's because of some other reason, please explain.

Now I was wondering if Smart Home Security inside the SmartThiings app can be customized so that only the motion sensor is used for triggering the Arlo camera to record only and not trigger the alarm but have the two door sensors trigger the alarm if they detect the doors being opened.