Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Recording Stopping Despite Motion

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
dcmccarthy
Star
Star

I have the Arlo Pros ans consistently am getting recordings that stop even though there is motion ocurring.

I've done a full reset on the system twice (removed/reset all cameras, did a factory pin-hole reset on the rear of the hub). Cameras are set to record until motion stops.

It feels like I get 7-9 seconds per recording. Here are some examples:

https://arlo.netgear.com/hmsweb/users/library/share/link/3A83E55569FE3D46_201810

https://arlo.netgear.com/#/viewShared/AFEDE7C6F17F145D_201810

https://arlo.netgear.com/hmsweb/users/library/share/link/DD553ED370AD9C41_201810

https://arlo.netgear.com/hmsweb/users/library/share/link/38D0F7F5747BC19C_201810

Any thoughts on what I could try to fix this would be great!

Thanks!

8 REPLIES 8
dcmccarthy
Star
Star

Does anyone get recordings until motion stops?

This was the response I got from arlo support:

"I see, to tell you honestly we don't suggest using the record until motion stops because the camera won't record that long. Reason for that is normally the camera's motion sensor won't get the whole motion because of the range. What we recommend is to use the record using a fix length of time instead."

Fairly usless to specify having features that dont work.

dcmccarthy
Star
Star

Another reply from support on it:

"The "Record until activity stops" normally works if the camera is placed within where the motion is obviously close to the camera from starting to end. But we are still working on that one to have the feature more accurate."

I dont feel the motion is all that far from my cameras.

Redmoonstar
Luminary
Luminary

I had the same issue with the "record until motion stops" it would only record for 10 - 16 secs and there was still motion.  I set my times to record and this worked until the May update then it stopped recording to my set times.  It has now settled and records some set times and then it goes back to 16 secs. This system was good until they ruined it with the May firmware upgrade since then I have had multiple issues some have been "fixed" others not, so the system can no longer be trusted for home security

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

dcmccarthy,

The links have expired, so unfortunately I can not see them. Depending on the distance & placement, the cameras may not pick up events. I have attached a link with further information regarding this. How do I position my Arlo Wire-Free or Arlo Pro Wire-Free camera?

"Ensure that side-to-side traffic crosses Arlo's field of view. Arlo's motion sensor is much more sensitive to side-to-side movement across its field of view than to movement directly toward or away from the camera. The best area for motion detection is 5 feet to 20 feet (1.5 to 6 meters) from the camera position."

dcmccarthy
Star
Star
So a week ago I posted here about getting 10 second recording when the system was set to record until montion stops. Got nowhere with arlo support other than the recommmedation of using a fixed period of time for a recording. So against my will I set all my cameras for 18 seconds I’d recording. All was well for a few days. Today now I started to not get any recordings at all. My app would give a notification that motion was detected but no recordings. There was a point today after dozens of notifications that I got a flurry of 0 second videos many hours later.

Used arlo live chat. Rebooted the system that many times I can’t count. Network resets etc. My fibre internet is working fine - 160kbs both up and down.

After all that I switched my fixed recording time back to record until motions stops. Guess what - I get recordings again, but back to that 10 second limit. I’ve factory reset the whole thing and has made no difference.

How do people have their systems configured? Are you seeing the same problems with the fixed recording times? Feels like to me I maxed out my share of the hardware allotted.

I’m losing faith in this system quickly. Have only had it since March.
pc2k17
Hero
Hero

I haven't had any issues setting recording time. I have 4 cameras that record for 60 seconds and a 5th that records only when it detects motion.

I did notice you said your internet is 160kbps up and down. That would be 1.28Mb (megabits). Arlo requires a minimum of 1Mb (megabit) up to function correctly. Since no one gets full speed all the time that would mean your operating below the minimum upload speed required, which will in turn cause issues with recording. If the bandwidth isn't available the cameras can't record or may stop recording because they can't save it to the cloud in real time.

One thing you can try is setting up your rules and record length using the website instead of the app. Seems to work better sometimes.

dcmccarthy
Star
Star

My fibre is 160mbs. Sorry for the confusion. Should be ample bandwidth with it.

pc2k17
Hero
Hero

Oh ok, your internet is more than enough. Have you tried setting thnigs up on the website instead of the app?