Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Recommended distance between base station and router?

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
Gellie
Aspirant
Aspirant

Recommended distance between base station and router?

10 REPLIES 10
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Thats' up to you, but prob more than a couple of feet... or as long as your ethernet cable is

Mine sits the 6-8ft cable lenght away and has no issues as the base and router will sit on the same wifi channel

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
gildrush
Apprentice
Apprentice

I have a Airport Extreme, how do I check/change the channels? The only channel changing I find is for the wireless segment of the router, but the Base is wired through Ethernet cable. Can you tell me what channel you're changing & how can you tell what channel the Base is on. I want to try this as I'm trying to solve an ongoing ptoblem with support for pixelating & freezing videos. I've tried all their recommendations,... they tell me now it's in egineering and to Please Standby. I can't just "Standby" been too long.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

The base if it is within 10-15 feet of your router will sit on the same channel as your router....when you get 20ft away or so I believe it picks a clear channel.

( netegear eng's have fiq'ed out if on the same channel as your router and close to it, there are less collisions ) ( you can change the channel of the router and the base will follow with a reboot and then change your router back to the original...but if the base reboots , you'll need to do it again )

You can not access the base, this is automatic.

The way to tell what channel your base is on is with a wifi analyzer ... there are a couple on android or ios that are free and will show the info needed.

The SSID will show up for the base as it is not hidden.

gildrush
Apprentice
Apprentice

Appreciate the info, so much more to learn! Thanks

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

FWIW, my base is mere inches away from my high-powered router with no issues.

gildrush
Apprentice
Apprentice

I hope this isn't a dumb question but, Its not clear to me what difference the channels between the Base and Router make if they're tethered by Ethernet. I assumed (my first mistake KWIM) that the sequence is from Camera (wirelessly).. to Base... to Router (via Ethernet) I'm definetly missing something and pretty sure I'm asking the right guys.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Not dumb, just an unknown...

The base unit for Arlo cameras sets up it's own 2.4ghz wifi network for the cameras ( just like a normal router ).  The cameras link to the base via wifi. The base tho wifi will only allow the cameras to connect to it.

So in effect, your adding another router/signal source right near your other one ( that the ethernet cable goes to )

gildrush
Apprentice
Apprentice

So to take it a little further, apparently by changing the channel in the router, it will cause the channel between the base and cameras to change also? I've been thinking that change affected only the Base to router, which is why i didn't get what the benefit  was being the Base/Router are cable connected. If that's right that makes a lot more sense, thanks for educating me!

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

your got it right.... if you change the main router channel, the base will jump over to the same channel ( if close to each other ) next time it restarts

This fiqs that you already pick either one of the non-overlapping channels or the clearest one for your location ( least amount of outside interference )

shane32
Aspirant
Aspirant
Need to run base farther, maybe 30 ft or more from router. Cameras are going be down 2floors into a subterranean garage. So making base closer in another
room to be safe , can always shrink back maybe 15 ft. Opinion???