Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Random red flash causes motion capture

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Wkosnik
Aspirant
Aspirant

Couldn't find this exact thing in the forum, but three nights in a row, all within 20 minutes of 3am, I get motion alarm and video capture. I go to watch the video and the video stars off with what seems like some kind of red filter. Almost like a flash of light. It isn't bright. But it's like it records in red. Then goes right back to normal. Doesn't happen any time during the day. And it does record at other times. But only at 3 am for the red light. I've only had these installed for 4 days. So this happens more often than not.

7 REPLIES 7
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
I think you have a porch light on which is close to the brightness for switching between night vision and color. The red flash may be the IR filter for night vision being moved when the camera decides it's not needed.
Wkosnik
Aspirant
Aspirant
The porch light goes on about 7 hours before this happens. And doesn't go off for another 4 hours. The night vision never goes on. And night vision is not red. It's black and white. Again this is at 3 am night one. And then 323 the next night.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
The cause for motion detection may or may not have an effect on what you're seeing. Do you have another camera to swap position with for testing? What happens if you trigger a recording under similar conditions? You don't have to wait for 3AM to test.
Wkosnik
Aspirant
Aspirant
I don't have another pro. Just a regular Arlo wire free. I will try recording tonight once it's completely dark.

I have viewed it live at night before and it doesn't do it. I have not tried recording it yet at night, manually.
Wkosnik
Aspirant
Aspirant

No red flash here at all.  Looks the same as it always done.  This is a manual record. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
No real idea other than something red being enough to trigger recording and you're just seeing the tail end. However, I had mentioned for you to walk in front of the camera to trigger the recording to make it more like the scenario where hounding see red. It wouldn't be a conclusive test but might cause the artifact you're seeing. Or not.
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

read thru the thread... still think it and iris or filter issue/ camera waking up from a triggered event... why at 3am, no clue.

But I would reset the camera, remove it and bring it back as new... thsi would clear maybe a glitched mode/rule and have the camera start with defaults.

And then I'd retest it with defaults changing one thing at a time

I still see one of my cams now and then trigger 10 sec after arming ( couldn't fiq really it out either but since it was right after arming , I let it go , narrowed it down to nested rules as if I arm alone , no issues ...things can get strange at times )

PS... thank you for fixing the walkway lightt, that one out was driving me crazy  🙂

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------