Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

RF Jammer

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
Maeverik
Aspirant
Aspirant
I had the Arlo Pro with 2 wireless cameras for more than 4 months now but still noticed suspicious movement inside my suite. Intruders seemed to use RF Jammers to prevent detection. To test if usb local storage would record offline, armed the system and removed the wifi connection in my router to see if the base station would record offline locally. It did, even turning on the siren once motion was detected even if the base station was offline. Could you help me defeat these rf jammer intruders? What setup in my Arlo Pro should i do to record their movement in case they do use rf jammers
8 REPLIES 8
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
If the jammers are real and can jam 2.4GHz, the WiFi connection could be jammed. The Arlo Q Plus camera can run over Ethernet so would be impervious to jamming.
Maeverik
Aspirant
Aspirant
The Arlo Pro base station is wired directly to the router. What's the difference? The Arlo Q Plus local storage is easily accessible to thieves coz it's exposed out there that's why i bought the Arlo Pro so i can lock it in my bedroom and still keep a record of videos in case ethernet connection goes offline. There's a few seconds delay before the camera recording could be saved online in case the intruder cuts off power.
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

The Arlo Pro base station is wired directly to the router. What's the difference? 

Yes, the base is plugged into the router , BUT the Base talks to the cameras on wifi at 2.4ghz  ( the base sets up it own wifi network just for the cameras )

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
Maeverik
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thanks for the help guys but i was hoping that an improvement setup to the Arlo Pro could help me with the issue.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
First, you need to prove that a jammed is in use. Setting up cameras to capture the approach to the space coul be useful.
JustLearning
Apprentice
Apprentice
Mine are being jammed. Again this morning. The signal shows some of the time but does not work. Has anyone found a jammer detector that alerts? Netgear need to produce an effective jammer detecting device working on wifi and the mobile network with possibly GPS, with alarm or alert if the base station and cameras or the cameras themselves cease to respond. The Q Plus receives Ethernet signal but does not seem to record locally, unless of course the router is being interfered with in addition. Has anyone found a solution for this?
migman_2001
Luminary
Luminary
Keep us posted on what you find out.

RF jamming is not specific to NetGear or Arlo. Any device using radio frequency to transmit/receive is susceptible (Wifi, cellular, etc). Our current reliance on the use of wifi is very susceptible to jamming and concerning with so much use of IOT devices.

Use of jammers is illegal in most places but the equipment can be procured.

As we have all discovered over time, power outages, jammers, hackers, fiber/cable cuts make the internet and internet cinnected decives suspectable to threats and failures.

Can companies do better in the way of reducing these theats, yes. Is NetGear being careless, no. I believe they are more responsible than most companies when when in comes to security. Are they perfect, no.
JustLearning
Apprentice
Apprentice
Thanks for your message. Arlo is an expensive system, for it to be so easily disabled renders it virtually useless at times. Why have local storage options if they cannot record when the wifi fails?