Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation
Apprentice
Apprentice

I just moved one of my cams and its a hassel to get it AC power and I'm not too keen on removing the battery and recharging given this is for a high traffic area. So that leads to solar power. In the past, there were numerous issues about the reliablity of the Netgear solar panel. A read through on Amazon among new users of the panel show frustration with reliablity. I want to hear from those who consider themselves well versed with Arlo equipment and head if your solar panel has performed well since it was first released assuming you got it when released and installed it. I know you folks are out there.

My second query relates to the recall of the AC adapter. I needed AC power for one of my cams and left it up until a replacement came out. Looks like its on sale right now. For those who used both the old and the new, what changes did NG actually make? I plan to buy one and ship my old one in for a refund but what is different about the new versus old? Looks like the length of the cord has not changed -- still too short at eight feed IMO. 

Thanks in advance.

5 REPLIES 5
steve_t
Master Master
Master

I have a solar panel. It has performed flawlessly. I am always surprised at how it can charge the camera even when it's not that sunny. The camera is triggered maybe a hundred times a day and I've never seen it below 90% charge.

The replacement AC power adapter, I believe, had the connector changed to ensure it was watertight. AFAIK that's the only change

Apprentice
Apprentice

Steve, thanks for sharing your experience. How long have you used the solar panel and how long have you used the new outdoor AC charger?

steve_t
Master Master
Master

I've had the solar panel for about 15 months I think. I don't have a new outdoor AC charger nor did I have the old one as I don't have any outdoor power outlets

Apprentice
Apprentice

Thanks I installed it today and am glad I bought it. Has the sun damaged the cable in those 15 months?

Apprentice
Apprentice

I installed the latest outdoor AC adaptor as well. The major change is a "wind bracket." The new design to secure the bracket also is better IMO in terms of fastening the cam to the old mounts. On the connection end to the camera, the new design also has an angled rubber piece to channel water down away from the plug in area. At least that's what I think it does. IMO, the insertion is the same and IMO the actual plug in is the same as before. IMO there is nothing more "sealed" about it. IMO, if you don't have it directly exposed to water like under a soffit, its not even necessary to replace. But since they are offering it why not. The price differentials is about $5 more and it seems NG is getting us to fund the recall program. It should have been a like for like exchange with no monetary outlay for the consumer.

PS I don't see why it took NG 1/2 year to come up with the "new design."