Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 41 Replies
  • 14 Likes
  • 13 In Conversation
Mrclay
Star
Star

Not really sure what's going on just bought the system hooked everything up went well, except when I Livestream I can hear audio from the camera when I activate push to talk I lose audio from the camera I can press the microphone button and speak and it will transmit to the camera but no sound comes from the camera until I close the live feed and open it back up anyone run into this issue?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

A new version of the iOS app that resolves this issue is now available. Please make sure you update to the latest version from the App Store. See here for details: Release Notes - iOS App 2.4.1 - 24th May 2017

JamesC

View solution in original post

41 REPLIES 41
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Contact Netgear.... maybe they have an answer ; https://www.arlo.com/en-us/support/contact.aspx

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
jcwrks
Luminary
Luminary

Yes, it's a bug that started affecting iOS after the latest Arlo firmware IIRC. There are a few open threads about the issue. Hopefully Netgear can resolve the issue in a prompt manner.

Mrclay
Star
Star
Thanks for your reply I think I'll just return them to many things I don't like, I didn't know it only had a 15 foot detection range and that's only from the sides who the hell makes a surveillance system with a dead zone right in the middle of the camera straight on that's a massive security flaw
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Mrclay,

Camera position can be a factor in motion detection performance. It can sometimes take some trial and error to find optimal conditions for your Arlo system.

Take a look at the tips in this article to be sure your cameras are positioned for best performance: How do I optimize my Arlo Wire-Free camera’s motion detection performance?

JamesC

Mrclay
Star
Star
Oh I did and trial and error should have nothing to do with the security surveillance system of any brand your documentation tells people to align the cameras to catch side movement with a security system you want a face shot and should never have a dead zone on a direct approach my chap dlink has massive motion detection range on this system this is a design flaw nothing more a bad one at that
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

If you're not willing to perform the suggestions, there's little we can do to help.  These are motion detection cameras, not streaming ones so you MUST set the camera up properly so motion detection works as you need.

Mrclay
Star
Star
And if you're not willing to read the comments where it says I already did that you're not gonna be much help to anyone
Roxxy
Aspirant
Aspirant
when I press live I can hear everything but as soon as I press the bottom to talk they can hear me But I don't hear anything !?? Any help
Roxxy
Aspirant
Aspirant
Also the camera doesn't capture any motion if we Are not close , how can I fix it!!
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
There seems to be Nice iOS app but causing the loss of audio after pressing the mic button. Open a case with support using the Contact Support link at the bottom here to add your voice to the crowd.

Motion detection of people is about 20 feet or so, if they're moving across the FOV, not directly ​at the camera. Positioning is key. Post a screenshot of the camera view for suggestions.
Mrclay
Star
Star
In other words your security surveillance system will only be able to catch side shots of people doesn't really do the police any good as well as being an MCSE I was a former combat engineer so trust me when I say that's not right especially for that price tag "motion detection" cameras work no different than "streaming" cameras as most "Streaming" ones give you options in the NVR/PRV to log a Motion event or record 24/7. i've worked with many different brands including low end ones like swan, hikvision, dlink and not one security system I work with has told me that angle my camera to capture cross traffic
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
A few autocorrect issues in my previous post. "There seems to be Nice iOS app but causing the loss of audio after pressing the mic button" should be "There seems to be an iOS app bug causing the loss of audio after pressing the mic button."
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
As for how the cameras work, a battery operated camera has to wake up and connect to the end point, whether at home or the cloud. Maintaining that connection would wear the batteries down much faster. Also, a camera or other device using PIR sensors have limitations as to how they can readily detect motion. My outdoor lights also have a small lag to turn on, especially when I walk directly at them. Nature of the beast. Just because other companies don't tell you about their PIR sensor can!eras needing to be properly set up doesn't mean they don't need it, too. Properly positioned, the cameras don't need to be at right angles to the direction of motion but there is a component of that needed.

And we're talking the Arlo system here. The Q cameras, which are powered, do stream 24/7 but require the CVR option to access it. Recording is all done in the cloud with the exception of the Pro base and Q cameras which have USB or microSD card capability, respectively, for times when Internet access is down. If you want streaming cameras with local recording you need to look elsewhere. The configuration of how Arlo works is well-defined and available for research before buying.
Roxxy
Aspirant
Aspirant
Where can I get in contact with a technician !!! Support says it is not available! How can I fix the bug causing the problem with audio ???? Tks
jcwrks
Luminary
Luminary

United States contact information:

(408)-638-3750

sonny71
Initiate
Initiate

Hi,

I cant get my camera to work properly.

2 way function that is, (using iphone) im taping the microphone its turning purple and i can talk,

but then i cant here anything from the other side.

So the sound from the camera disappears as soon as i start talking from the phone.

On the other hand if i dont start talking i can hear things from the camera, but not communicate, since

i press the microphone button the sound disappears from the camera and not coming back if im not restart the Arlo app.

Have updated the version etc.

Hope you have any suggestion on what to do!!

Best Regards!!

Mrclay
Star
Star
Point being other companies don't need to tell me about the PIR sensor as they've always work as designed and I was always aware of the distance limit but the system dam near has 180° angle of approach where it may or may not detect motion and that's netgears own words, so the system is not suitable for security and it's definitely not worth the price tag that they're asking
Mrclay
Star
Star
As for the push to talk audio not coming from the camera everyone else is asking you cannot fix it if it is the firmware that was recently released you have no choice but to wait for netgear to release a new software update until then it's out of your hands
Mrclay
Star
Star
But to be helpful here's a workaround for you guys that require push to talk sacrifice a second Arlo camera and place it in close proximity to the one that's going to require push to talk then live stream both camera feeds activate push to talk on one camera audio should continue on the second camera
Mrclay
Star
Star
Sorry should also add just make sure to keep The second arlo at least 5 to 10 feet away The camera or you want to use for push to talk as to not confuse the wireless signal
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

I have escalated this topic to engineering for review. I will provide an update when I have more information.

JamesC

styledata
Star
Star

I had two lengthy support sessions with your techs about this issue, and they said they had no fix for it (this was last weekend). I was told they would call me back when they knew something. Today I get an email from Netgear saying my support ticket will be closed if I don't respond! I have nothing to say! The ball is in your court!

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

A new version of the iOS app that resolves this issue is now available. Please make sure you update to the latest version from the App Store. See here for details: Release Notes - iOS App 2.4.1 - 24th May 2017

JamesC

styledata
Star
Star

Hello,

I downloaded the new update, and it does seem to have fixed the bug, thank you! Cautiously optimistic... Really looking forward to using this feature!