Push to talk in app rarely works on Arlo Pro

Discussion stats
  • 18 Replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 8 In Conversation
Hemicon
Guide
Guide
I just set up the Arlo Pro 4 pack. Maybe 1 out of 10 tries the push to talk feature in the Android app works and the sound is very low coming out the speaker. Anyone else has this problem?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Hemicon wrote:
Jguerdat, what Android OS are you using? I'm using 7.0 and I don't see where I can clear the cache.

Android 7.  Use the phone settings, go to Apps, select Arlo, Storage, Clear Cache (clear data basically resets the app as if you just installed while clearing the cache doesn't remove all settings).

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

read section on audio testing;

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Arlo-Pro/PRO-Camera-on-regular-Arlo-Base/m-p/1158554

As to audio low on an Android... yes.

But the audio is loud enough from other devices tested... So it appears it may not be the cameras but more the device used.

Some phones use sound cancelation and I believe this may be part of the problem

As to fixing it... try and turn off above if you have it OR try Speaker phone and see if the audio is louder

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
Hemicon
Guide
Guide
My main problem is getting the 2-way mic to work in the app. When the camera is live and I hit the mic icon, a message says "please wait" but doesn't do anything. 9 times out of 10 it doesn't work for me. Everything else works fine. On the times it does work, after about 2 seconds or so the icon becomes solid and I can use it. For all other times, after 30-45 seconds I just give up.
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

What device and OS on the phone...

Also , put in a trouble ticket to Support... if they don't know about it, it will never be fixed

As a PS, go to the app in device settings and try clearing cache...if that doesn't work , Id remove the app and reinstall to cover bases

RobTN
Aspirant
Aspirant

Clear trhe cache on the device? I see no such option anywhere in the IOS app. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It would be in the phone settings under apps. I don't have iOS so can't give you exact steps. Android uses phone settings, apps, Arlo, clear cache.

Hemicon
Guide
Guide
Jguerdat, what Android OS are you using? I'm using 7.0 and I don't see where I can clear the cache. I'm also having the same problem with the cameras not holding their position. I'm beginning to think they rushed this one. I had the first Arlo which worked fine and got rid of them for these but I really don't notice any difference in image quality and with these issues I'm not sure if I'm gonna keep these.
RobertRosal
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Android 7, I don't know about JG, but I'm on 6.0.1 and I am not experiencing what you are.

My app works great! As for holding their position, I can't speak for the mounts as I used something different.
-Robert
Hemicon
Guide
Guide
Robert what mounts are you using?
RobertRosal
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hemicon wrote:
Robert what mounts are you using?

I am using these mounts that I purchased from Amazon.  They work really good so far.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001D49TU4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

-Robert
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

RobTN wrote:

Clear trhe cache on the device? I see no such option anywhere in the IOS app. 

Yes, not on IOS... 

On IOS, delete the app and reinstall

On Android, go to settings, apps( installed), pick Arlo and on same page there is a clear cache near page bottom

On PC - depends on browser

This would make sure its a good install on the APPS, just in case ( you prob be asked to do it anyway if a trouble ticket was put in )

As to mounts, the problem is only with the magnetic ball mounts.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Hemicon wrote:
Jguerdat, what Android OS are you using? I'm using 7.0 and I don't see where I can clear the cache.

Android 7.  Use the phone settings, go to Apps, select Arlo, Storage, Clear Cache (clear data basically resets the app as if you just installed while clearing the cache doesn't remove all settings).

Hemicon
Guide
Guide
Just an update, I bought 4 indoor/outdoor mounts and now they stay right where I set them. The half sphere works with the original Arlo but the Pro is a tad heavier and they move.

Second issue I kind of sort of figured out was that my wife also has an Android phone running 6.0.1 (Marshmallow) and her mic feature works like it should. When she speaks, the speaker is much louder than when I use my phone. That could mean one of two things, the mic on my phone is bad or the software isn't optimized for 7.0 (Nougat). I've had people on occasion tell me that they can barely hear me when I'm in a very quiet area like a car or office so I'm gonna see if changing my phone would resolve anything.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

We are aware of an issue with audio on the Arlo Pro and are currently working hard toward implementing a fix as soon as possible. I will keep you updated with any new information I receive on this topic.

JamesC

Hemicon
Guide
Guide
Thanks JamesC. You guys have a huge support base. I know I for one do not want to have to return the cameras because of this.
Ryanjrad
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks James. Same issue with LG G Flex 2

MikeRiley
Aspirant
Aspirant

Just installed the cams and everything works great with one exception: the mic.  You press to talk and the screen drops frames/slows to a crawl; mic works sporadically.  Has there been a firmware update that fixes the mic problems yet?

MikeRiley
Aspirant
Aspirant

Just installed the cams and everything works great with one exception: the mic.  You press to talk and the screen drops frames/slows to a crawl; mic works sporadically.  Has there been a firmware update that fixes the mic problems yet?

Same performance on iPhone 6s+ and iPad mini.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

MikeRiley,

This topic has been escalated and engineering is currently Investigating this issue. I will provide an update as soon as I have more information.

JamesC