Pro 4 not recording events but constantly sending notifications

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
jnsnAZ
Star
Star

I have two 6 yr old  Pro 2 cams,   and a year ago I added a third (Pro4) cam to my outdoor system.  The two older cams, I get no notifications but they do capture human or animal motion), and I get temporary free storage of events in Library, (I have no subscriptions).         But the Pro 4 camera does not record any actual human motion events,   even if I walk past it!    ALSO the Pro 4 camera constantly sends annoying notifications- when there is nothing for the camera to see... must be specs of dust flying past it!              I'm a senior and cannot figure out how to fix all this. Hoping some one is willing to advise me. 

5 REPLIES 5
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@jnsnAZ wrote:

(I have no subscriptions).         But the Pro 4 camera does not record 

Your Pro 2 cameras were sold with free 7-days of rolling cloud storage.  Arlo still provides that.

Arlo stopped providing free cloud storage on new camera models back in 2018.  The Pro 4 (like all currently sold Arlo cameras) requires a subscription to get any cloud storage.

So if you want cloud recordings, you need to get a subscription for the camera.

The other option is to get a smarthub (VMB4540 or VMB5000), and get storage for that (USB flash drive for the VMB4540, a microSD card for the VMB5000).  Then you could access locally stored recordings from the app.  However, that doesn't offer a very good user experience, and it can be hard to set up.  So the subscription is probably the most appropriate option for you.

AZoller
Aspirant
Aspirant

USB flash drive for the VMB4540, a microSD card for the VMB5000).  Then you could access locally stored recordings from the app.  However, that doesn't offer a very good user experience, and it can be hard to set up.

How do you set this up

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@AZoller wrote:

How do you set this up

Details are here:

Note that port forwarding currently doesn't work with the iPhone app, though it does work with Android.

jnsnAZ
Star
Star

See description of my 3-camera set up in my earlier post below.    OK,  I'll sign up for a subscription on the newish Pro4.  BUT I have waited,  to be sure first- that I don't have a defective  Pro4 camera.  I cannot tell if it EVER records movement, even I walk right past it,   Is it normal that it does   NOT even "record" until I get a subscription????

ALSO on this Pro4, it constantly sends notifications. My watch dings all night long.  I have watched carefully...it sends these even when there is absolutely no wind, no foliage movement, no spiders ... NO REASON for the notification.

As mentioned, my two 6 yr old Pro2 cameras faithfully record videos, stored in7-say rolling  Library.  But those cams  never send any notifications. Not huge issue....just curious why they don't sen'd movement notifications. 

Last issue is about battery. Each of my three cams a have a charging adapter and are plugged into 120v power under my eaves.   In the app, ONE of the Pro2 cams says  it is not charging.  Unable to charge.  It is still functioning well, but app says its charge level is 66%.  This has ben going on for over a month. The charge level declines slowly, by about 1% per day.  I've tested the 12v outlet... and the connections. All good,  so what does this mean, is the battery deteriorating?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@jnsnAZ wrote:

Is it normal that it does   NOT even "record" until I get a subscription????

Yes. Arlo Pro/Pro 2 cameras came with free 7-day cloud storage, but Arlo stopped offering that on new camera models back in 2018.  Pro 3, Pro 4, and all currently sold Arlo cameras require a subscription to get any cloud storage.  

But if they are armed, you should get notifications even with no subscription.