Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Possible Bug With Motion Detection Zones

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation
MDiSabatino
Aspirant
Aspirant

Found a possible bug with the Arlo cameras and there motion detection zone, wondering if anyone else has the same problem or can test/recreate with there system.

High level explanation of the problem - Arlo was sending push notifications but was not saving the actual recording to the library. 

Couple days ago, around my area it was rather windy and I noticed the tree in my front yard was tricking my camera and sending push notifications, I confirmed it was the wind and the tree because I had 20+ videos of "motion" alerts and nothing but leaves blowing around was in the videos. 

I got the idea to create an activity zone so the tree would stop alarming the system. After that I would get notifications but no videos would upload or save in the library. Everything from the mail man, cats, and the trash collectors came by that day and not one video was saved but i got notifications for them. 

I came home, and decided to delete the motion zones and turn the sensitiviy down a bit and see how that reacted. I started testing the system by walking up and down my front pathway and immediately noticed videos were uploading to the library again. Thats when I got the idea to recreate the activity zones, about 2 recordings came through and then nothing. Again I deleted the zone and made my walks up and down, push notifications were being sent and videos uploaded of me walking. 

I can SAFELY confirm at least on my system Activity Zones is causing a huge issue with recording and uploading videos to the cloud. Can anyone else confirm this is an issue for them? Netgear really needs to iron this one out.....

2 REPLIES 2
JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Hey @MDiSabatino,

We were not able to reproduce the issue where you are not receiving recordings after you got notification alert from motion zones. Try to reposition your cameras and make sure they are close enough to the base station to have a stable internet connection to receive recordings.

MDiSabatino
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hello Jessica,

Well, thats the thing. My cameras are not more then 20 feet from the base station, and also recordings are captured normally when motion zones are not active. I have a ticket opened but have no received a reply in weeks also....

I have a full Gig connection from Verizon and a Netgear nighthawk pushing the signal, doubt my internet speed is the problem.

So basically, recordings work normally and as expected until you create a motion zone.