Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Poor video quality zoomed in

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Stevo0523
Aspirant
Aspirant

Good day. Would anyone happen to know if there's a way to enhance the video quality when you've zoomed in to an area? It's fine when it's completely zoomed out but zoomed in. It's terrible picture quality.

5 REPLIES 5
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Stevo0523 wrote:

Good day. Would anyone happen to know if there's a way to enhance the video quality when you've zoomed in to an area? It's fine when it's completely zoomed out but zoomed in. It's terrible picture quality.

Unfortunately there's not anything you can do about that.  It's a 720p camera using digital zoom.

Stevo0523
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you for the fast reply! Are there any of the Arlo wireless cameras that have better quality one zoomed in?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It's all relative. While there are higher resolution cameras, they're also wider angle lenses so each pixel may have to cover a larger area. If that's the case then zooming in may not be better. Don't forget that compression and data rate has an effect and that Arlo cameras aren't identification types but are activity ones. Longer focal lengths would be needed  to allow IDs which would limit the area covered.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

The Ultra/Ultra 2 have the highest resolution (4K), so would have the best picture quality when zoomed in to the area you are looking at. Though moving the camera closer might be a better option.

Stevo0523
Aspirant
Aspirant

I think I may continue to go back to my nest cameras as I zoom in and there’s a button to click and it doesn’t focus which is really nice and I don’t have to keep refreshing my web browser to have a live feed to the videos.