Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Plugged Arlo Pro into computer and now computer is fried

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
swang530
Aspirant
Aspirant

My dad plugged in his new Arlo Pro camera into his laptop in attempts to charge it (using the provided wire). Immediately after plugging it in, the computer turned off and could not be turned on again!! Has anyone else experienced this? What should be next steps?

Steph

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
swang530
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you for everyone's replies. Apparently the computer is back up and running. Despite asking them to manually restart by pushing and holding the power button, they apparently didn't even know how to do that. My sister was able to remediate in 10 seconds. Thanks all

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I can't really imagine a likely scenario where the camera would cause damage to the computer. It could possibly damage the USB port on either the camera or computer but I don't know how likely that is.''

Since it's a laptop, I would remove the wall power and the battery for 60 seconds or so and then try again. Make sure to observer the various LEDs on the laptop to see what they do when attempting to restart. What ones do what?

For the record, the laptop was never going to charge the battery since it requires a Qualcomm Quick Charge capable charger such as comes with recent Samsung (and other) phones. Computer USB only provides 5v and the battery needs 9v.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

I have used the usb cable to the cams in mucking around ( from desktop comp ) ... had no issues.

Guess it is possible the current draw was a bit much and fried the port ( tho many just shut down ) , but as mentioned, find it unlikely it would fry the entire laptop...who knows

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
Apprentice
Apprentice

BTW try pulling the battery on the laptop. Press power button to eliminate all juice, reinsert and boot it up. IMO if you get a cursor then the hardware is probably OK. If it doesnt work somehow the motherboard got fried in the the process. Thats weird but maybe there was latent electrical current coming out of the NG base station into the USB port on the laptop. I'm hoping its just an OS corruption issue.

Scott2ya
Luminary
Luminary
Sounds like the laptop ran out of juice. Plug the laptop back into the outlet. I could see my parents calling me about smomething just like this.

If not then follow the advise if the gentlemen before me posted.
swang530
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you for everyone's replies. Apparently the computer is back up and running. Despite asking them to manually restart by pushing and holding the power button, they apparently didn't even know how to do that. My sister was able to remediate in 10 seconds. Thanks all