Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

jjs4653
Star
Star

Has anyone experienced pixelating video in the first 2-3 seconds of the recorded video.  It happens every time for me.  It has great reception  full Wifi bars... and does not happen with my original Arlo camera.. just with the new Pro.

450 REPLIES 450
Ralphmd
Guide
Guide
Good to know Rajah I moved my location but still get 1 in 15 with pixilation.
steeler560
Apprentice
Apprentice

OK folks, I'm now convinced that this is absolutely a Netgear issue, do NOT let them tell you it's your router, internet speed, distance from router, where it's installed, etc., etc., etc.

1) I upgraded to 120/10 internet speed for these cameras and STILL same issue with Arlo Pro cameras!

2) My Arlo Pro cameras are installed within 30 feet max from my base unit. My Arlo Pro cameras can be located within feet of my Arlo base until and STILL same issue with Arlo Pro cameras!

3) I bought a Netgear Nighthawk wifi extender (that was so problematic to install and support was as useless as the support I got with this Arlo system...🤔 Hmmm there's a pattern here Netgear with your products!!!). I tried relocating the Arlo base to the center of my house and away from my router to eliminate interference and STILL same issue with Arlo Pro cameras!

4) Removed ALL cameras and base, factory reset base and added back all cameras and STILL same issue with Arlo Pro cameras!

5) Like an idiot, I go out and buy a new Arlo Pro base station thinking my original Arlo camera base might be the issue...nope, even with a new Arlo Pro base STILL same issue with Arlo Pro.

So, no matter what I tried to correct this issue, including disabling audio on Arlo Pro, NOTHING worked....all while my "old" Arlo cameras operate flawlessly. Netgear has an issue with the Arlo Pro and they're doing nothing to fix it based on the posts here alone. All while Level II support admitted the pixilation/ghosting is a "KNOWN ISSUE" with the Arlo Pros. You cannot continue to deflect blame towards the consumer...you are selling THOUSANDS of units of a defective product or technology!

steeler560
Apprentice
Apprentice
Just so you know, Netgear engineers have been working on this issue since the Arlo Pro cameras hit store shelves. It's been 7-8 months and STILL NO FIX. If you just bought the Arlo Pro cameras, run...don't walk, to where you bought them and return them for anything else!
Dustin278
Apprentice
Apprentice

Seems that the MODS/Experts have been pretty silent on this thread.. Over the weekend I updated my home wireless router to the Orbi - this has improved my camera system going from blurred and green screen from 80% of the time to now only get this to happen 5% of the time? Why would a new router system make this much of a difference? I thought that the cameras comunicate only with the BASE?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
If there's nothing to add, there's nothing to add. I don't have the problem so I can't test.

The router could make a difference since the base has to connect to the Internet through it. However, I might surmise that it could be an interference issue between the router and base WiFi. Some folks have had luck separating them physically. My bases have been right next to 3 high-powered routers from Netgear and Asus with no issue. YMMV.
steeler560
Apprentice
Apprentice
I tried switching to Netgear router and added an extended do the base unit might avoid wifi interference and problem unresolved. I give up...I'm off to Best Buy today and begging them for a refund for the whole system!
steeler560
Apprentice
Apprentice

I just got back from Best Buy and they wouldn't allow me to return this junk because it's outside the 30 day return period.  As a result, I DO intend on providing my neighbor with everything I've experienced with Netgear on the Arlo and Nighthawk wifi extenders Netgear support suggested I buy.  I'm stuck with Netgear products that simply do not work as advertised.  If my post was edited it's because someone at Netgear knows that there is an issue with this system and prefers that we just roll over and accept it.  I'll post an update once I talk to my neighbor this week.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

The engineering team is currently investigating this topic. 

Pixelated/distorted video is often caused by poor camera connection with the base station. This could be due to wireless interference or range. If you are still experiencing this issue after relocating the camera/eliminating nearby sources of WiFi interference as troubleshooting steps, please contact the Arlo Support Team to further investigate this issue. You will find several options for contacting support in the provided link. If you would like further assistance, don't hesitate to contact me via private message with your case number and I will offer any additional feedback that I can.

JamesC

greekspiro
Guide
Guide
Again, regular Arlo in the same spit same base doesn't do this. Stop blaiming wifi and interference! The ORIGINAL ARLO does not do this. 2 Pros are going back today because of this response.
SteveWhite
Apprentice
Apprentice
I find it unconscionable that JamesC thought it was appropriate to post when there are hundreds of posts in this thread of members who performed very thorough troubleshooting that dispels that theory. Unbelievable.
underdog2003
Star
Star
Well what we have here is an obvious shift from this company from customer service and troubleshooting ( not that there ever was any of that), to setting groundwork for a civil lawsuit defense. We're just going to get the same cut and paste, most likely lawyer approved, responses to all of our problems instead of real trouble shooting and genuine concern.

steeler560
Apprentice
Apprentice
Everyone's original Arlo cameras are working flawlessly, it's when you "upgrade" and add Arlo Pros to the system the Pro version has issues. If In fact this issue is related to wifi interference that tells me 1) the Arlo Pro cameras aren't shielded as well as the original Arlo cameras and it's a hardware issue that won't be resolved unless the design is improved. 2) It's an issue with how the Netgear software handles the wifi signal or video upload. If it's a software issue you have to hope that firmware update will eventually correct this issue. Either way the Arlo Pro cameras aren't working as they should.
greekspiro
Guide
Guide
Exactly!! He notes engineering is working on it but then says that its caused by interference. Please explain why the original never does this! I even baught
greekspiro
Guide
Guide
A new base just to eliminate the old base not working with the Pro but that did nothing.
jsm174
Guide
Guide

My pro base station is sitting directly behind a big Onkyo A/V receiver. They are both five feet away from an Eero router.

Also, I'm on 1.6 Mbps Verizon DSL.  

The cameras are all outside and the distances/models are: 15' (H7), 80' (H6), 380' (H6), 220' (H6), 100' (H6)

I'm not seeing that same issues reported in this thread. Interference seems like a long shot.

rajah2010
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'm amazed we're still getting the "it's most likely a wireless issue" answer on this subject when Netgear have already acknowledged there is a known issue and their engineers are working on it!

I moved my pro camera to within 2 metres of the base station with only a patio door in between and the problem still exists.

So frustrating and definitely not happy with the way the situation is being handled.

manofice
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I've donated a ton of video's, heres the latest

https://arlo.netgear.com/hmsweb/users/library/share/link/ACEC82179FE043BB_201705

GTTX
Guide
Guide

I'm thinking we need to start posting the pixilated videos to Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, etc to let folks know there is an issue with these cameras that Netgear isn't addressing. Help folks who are looking at security camera systems know to look elsewhere until this issue is fixed by Netgear (or we all trash our systems and move to another company). 

steeler560
Apprentice
Apprentice
Hey, that looks familiar! Stay tuned for the cookie cutter response "Please contact Arlo Support to further investigate this issue." 🙄
steeler560
Apprentice
Apprentice
I tweet the issue ever other day to Arlo and Netgear Twitter pages and every time I get "Please contact Arlo Technical Support Team to further investigate this issue." I've tried even Level II support and it's painfully obvious they're just a room full of call center agents in Mumbai reading from a manual...they have no real technical knowledge.
GTTX
Guide
Guide

That's unfortunate and not surprising. Maybe if we can get everyone experiencing this issue to publish affected videos to social media, Netgear will finally listen to try to minimize the bad publicity. It doesn't seem posting in this forum or directly to Netgear on Twitter does any good.  😞 Everyone, post affected videos on your social media channels with the hashtags #arlo #pixelated to bring attention to the problem. 

pcuser12345
Apprentice
Apprentice

Knewt
Tutor
Tutor
#pixElated
greekspiro
Guide
Guide
Lets not forget 2 way audio was broken recently also. Awful. Buy blink xt for half the price.
steve_t
Master Master
Master

manofice wrote:

I've donated a ton of video's, heres the latest

https://arlo.netgear.com/hmsweb/users/library/share/link/ACEC82179FE043BB_201705

You should download the video and post it to youtube or something else before this link expires