Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Permanent server shutdown in mainland China on 01 Sep 2021

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 7 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation
埃基09
Initiate
Initiate

To Arlo camera support team:

Please provide the technical solution to assure the functionality of Arlo pro camera  which is located in mainland China after your permanent server shutdown in mainland China on 01 Sep 2021. 

7 REPLIES 7
JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Hi 埃基09,

Please refer to this article in regards to this: China End-of-Service Information

埃基09
Initiate
Initiate

Hi Jessica, 

Thanks for the response. 

I have reviewed the announcement provided; two (2) questions were raised as below. Appreciated if you or any other representative(s) of Arlo Technologies, Inc, could offer the answers accordingly. 

1 What is the legal basis for Arlo Technologies, Inc, to make a deposition (decommission and recycling as waste) on the Arlo cameras purchased by the end customer?

A side note: The ownership of the concerned Arlo camera(s) has been transferred from Arlo Technologies, Inc, or its retailer to the end customer once the payment was set. 

2 What is the legal basis for Arlo Technologies Inc., ‘s a unilateral decision on end-of-service in China?

A side note: a free and basic plan, including Live remote video streaming, 7 Days of secure cloud DVR storage, Email motion alerts & push notifications and Support for up to 5 cameras, was an integral part of the Arlo camera system (VMS3220 & VMS 4330) sold to me. In addition, cloud service is an essential part to assure the functionality of Arlo camera system as Arlo Technologies, Inc, did not disclose any alternative method to connect the hardware (Arlo camera and or base station) to any other server/module (Synology Surveillance Station etc.,) .

drwingcourage
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have reviewed the announcement provided; two (2) questions were raised as below. Appreciated if you or any other representative(s) of Arlo Technologies, Inc, could offer the answers accordingly. 

1 What is the legal basis for Arlo Technologies, Inc, to make a deposition (decommission and recycling as waste) on the Arlo cameras purchased by the end customer?

A side note: The ownership of the concerned Arlo camera(s) has been transferred from Arlo Technologies, Inc, or its retailer to the end customer once the payment was set. 

2 What is the legal basis for Arlo Technologies Inc., 'sa unilateral decision on end-of-service in China?

A side note: a free and basic plan, including Live remote video streaming, 7 Days of secure cloud DVR storage, Email motion alerts & push notifications and Support for up to 5 cameras, was an integral part of the Arlo camera system (VMS3220 & VMS 4330) sold to me. In addition, cloud service is an essential part to assure the functionality of Arlo camera system as Arlo Technologies, Inc, did not disclose any alternative method to connect the hardware (Arlo camera and or base station) to any other server/module (Synology Surveillance Station etc.,) .

KeeTsui
Guide
Guide

Hello, Arlo Team

I have the same doubt as 埃基09 had mentioned. I believe many other users in China mainland share the same.

I have purchased 3 models so far:

VMB3000

Arlo Q

Arlo-Q Plus

When we bought these products, the service provided by Arlo were legally binded and is considered as part of the product. 

Therefore, Arlo is responsible for the continuity of the service.

From my point of view, since Arlo is still in business and providing the same service to all regions but now China mainland becomes an exception, Arlo should provide solutions for users being affected.

Solutions may include (but not limited to) the following:

Add a network function / setting so that we can use proxy (or VPN)  to gain the access to the service (may need to provide the domain of the server to add to the proxying list)

Provide guidelines to turn the cloud service to local (like 埃基09 menioned: Synology Surveillance Station etc.)

... and so on

All users, no matter where they are and how much they have invested on the hardwares,  are deserved a satisfied answer and solution from Arlo.

Look forward to your reply.

Regards,

Kee Tsui

KT
drwingcourage
Aspirant
Aspirant

Arlo - commitment is what we all expect but why should we stop using the China service area?

RoyLaw
Tutor
Tutor
charlie787
Initiate
Initiate

have the same question here. On what legal ground could Arlo do so, and suggest customers to throw away the devices that arlo received money from, instead of asking for compensations?