Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

PLEASE allow for recordings to continue while motion is detected.

Discussion stats
  • 17 Replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 7 In Conversation
NCKpu86
Star
Star

I understand a lot of things.  I understand why detection zones are not feasible with wireless cameras.  I understand why wireless cameras cannot offer 24/7 recording - these are tradeoffs to the convenience and flexibility of wireless systems.  I also understand that the understated has been beaten to death, but it seems like something a company like Netgear should be able to resolve in their sleep...

But please.  PLEASE: why can this system not continue to record until motion stops (even if the max is 10 minutes or whatever)?

When I put the camera in "Motion Detection Test" mode, I can stand there and do the Hokey Pokey for 10 minutes straight and the little LED indicating that the camera is sensing motion remains lit.  Considering the incredible technology that has been developed that makes this system possible, WHY does this otherwise capable system need to create 25 30-second clips of one event?!  Yes, I can set the recording length to 120 seconds, but that wastes a lot of battery if the neighbor's cat walks through the frame for 2 seconds 50 times in a night.

I am not really complaning.  I am genuinely perplexed.  I am a rational person, but this has been a glaring flaw since the introduction of the original Arlo system (I have Arlo Pro cameras throughout).  My only question is WHY can this not be done?  PLEASE?  WHY?!

Thanks.

17 REPLIES 17
kmiller8821
Luminary
Luminary

This feature was added and then rolled back because it wasn't quite working as expected.  It's a highly requested feature and I'm hopeful it will come back soon. Hang in there. 

steve_t
Master Master
Master

Also, I registered for the Arlo A-team to test the detection zone setting and even sent the details of my camera through but haven't heard anything back since. They must be working on that too

NCKpu86
Star
Star

@steve_t- are you referring to detection zones for the Arlo Q or Pro?

steve_t
Master Master
Master

I have an Arlo wirefree - the original. I don't have detection zones as yet. It was supposed to just be for one camera that I nominated. I nominated one of my cameras but haven't heard back yet. I often see ads for joining the Arlo A Team on facebook but CBF'd following up

I hope the feature does come soon though

Hula_Rock
Prodigy Prodigy
Prodigy

I did not know that, that was in the works......

It's going to be ineresting to see what the solution they came up with to allow Motion Detection Zones in the PIR Sensor currently used in the Arlo Wireless camera.  The Q can achieve this because it utilizes a totally different sensor detecting pixel change.

NCKpu86
Star
Star

I agree - not sure how this would be possible UNLESS the following takes place: any motion detected wakes up camera, recording commences, THEN firmware determines whether or not the motion is in a designated zone.  If yes, continue to record and notify user  --  if no, stop recording, discard video, go back to sleep.

This would still consume battery just as though detection zones didn't exist, but would eliminate nuisance notifications.  Overall a net improvement I'd say.

steve_t
Master Master
Master

I was also confused at how they would do it but wasn't going to argue when they asked me to trial it

steve_t
Master Master
Master

From the Netgear Press Release:

Smart Motion Recognition (coming later this year) - With smart object recognition launching later this year, Arlo will use advanced machine learning algorithms in the Arlo cloud to improve how Arlo cameras capture and report events. Smart recognition analytics identify people, cars, animals and swaying trees, allowing Arlo cameras to record and alert only those events that matter. Distinguishing between people, pets and other objects, and having the ability to ignore irrelevant movements and objects, eliminates unnecessary alerts, making Arlo even smarter and allowing you to focus on what matters most.

NCKpu86
Star
Star

@steve_t- Forgive my ignorance..where did you come across this press release?

steve_t
Master Master
Master

NCKpu86 wrote:

@steve_t- Forgive my ignorance..where did you come across this press release?

On the Netgear website

https://www.netgear.com/about/press-releases/2016/NETGEAR-INTRODUCES-ARLO-PRO.aspx?cid=wmt_netgear_o...

Hula_Rock
Prodigy Prodigy
Prodigy

FWIW its not  detection zone setting or zone masking. its a algorithm based product done in the cloud.

steve_t
Master Master
Master

Hula_Rock wrote:

FWIW its not  detection zone setting or zone masking. its a algorithm based product done in the cloud.

Yup. This is how other similar systems work. I don't think there's any other way you can do it with a PIR motion sensor

mbauer
Apprentice
Apprentice
Netgear, please provide an update on when this feature will be available.
ArloProUserHere
Star
Star

Does this mean that images are continuously sent?  I thought images were only sent when the camera starts recording?  That is why the cameras sometimes are slow to record since if the net link is slow, it can take a second to link up and start working.   Plus, if the cameras were streaming video, wouldn't it run down batteries really fast?

ArloProUserHere
Star
Star

I consider this a critical function.  Especially when used as a front door device.  By the time the notice comes in and you get a device unlocked, the camera selected and active, most people have left. Plus, it seems if the camera is recording, it sometimes won't show a live image?

We need to see what is happening, now.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You're correct.  Video is only streamed during recording or live view.  The Q cameras constantly stream but they're powered.

NCKpu86
Star
Star

@ArloProUserHere- you're right - it is pretty annoying that you are forced to wait until your selected recording duration has elapsed before you can review the footage.  This isn't necessarily a complaint, but I definitely get where you're coming from.  Especially bothersome because I am forced to set a longer duration so I don't miss anything...because the camera will not stop recording after motion stops.