Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

No longer detecting smaller events. Seeing motion-activated lights but not recording?

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Dmd29
Aspirant
Aspirant

My Arlo Pro cameras stopped detecting smaller events such as the passage of an animal. I see my motion-activated lights turning on but the cameras no longer record anything.

The cameras have been on for a couple of year and this behavior is relatively new. I tried to increase sensitivity (Device utilities) and even video quality (power settings). No change. Clearly due to change in firmware or cloud settings.

Any way to revert to something more sensitive?

To be honest I feel a bit cheated by Arlo. They’ve reduced the functionality of something that I owned and that used to work to my satisfaction. I was considering adding a few newer cameras to my setup but I think I’ll start investigating other brands.

6 REPLIES 6
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Dmd29 wrote:
My Arlo Pro cameras stopped detecting smaller events such as the passage of an animal. I see my motion-activated lights turning on but the cameras no longer record anything.

Are you seeing no motion recordings?  If so, can you make a manual recording?

Dmd29
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi - thx for the response. I see some motion recordings (and I can also make manual recordings), just far fewer than before (number of recordings at night has been cut in two or three). If I walk into the camera’s field of view it detects me. Just seems far less sensitive than before (and maybe a bit more laggy). Some animal went on a rampage the other night right under the camera and it didn’t capture anything. 

is there any way to regain control over the camera’s sensitivity?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Dmd29 wrote:

Just seems far less sensitive than before (and maybe a bit more laggy). Some animal went on a rampage the other night right under the camera and it didn’t capture anything. 

One aspect here is ambient temperature.  The cameras use PIR (passive infrared) sensors that are looking for changes in the heat signature.  If the ambient temperature is close to body heat, then those changes are much harder to detect, so motion detection range will be reduced (and be less reliable).  That's inherent to the technology - all PIR sensors have that limitation.

@Dmd29 wrote:

is there any way to regain control over the camera’s sensitivity?

You can adjust the sensitivity in the rule for your camera.  Though if the issue is actually ambient temperature, it might not help much.  

If your neighborhood is quiet enough, you could potentially add in audio detection, perhaps on a schedule so it is only on during when it is quiet outside.  Though that doesn't work for me (too much traffic on my street).

https://kb.arlo.com/42/What-are-modes-and-rules-and-how-does-Arlo-use-them

Dmd29
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for sharing the link. I do not see any option to set rules or modes (note that I am on Arlo Pro).

I don't really see anymore any way to configure camera sensitivity in the interface (using iOS app). I can only find 2 possibly related settings:

1. Video Settings / Power Management / Best, Optimised or Best Battery Life (I set it to Best)
  2. Device Utilities / Motion Detection Test / Sensitivity 100 (High) - not sure if changing something under "Motion Detection Test" has any bearing on how the camera eventually performs... odd place for such a setting.
  3. No audio sensitivity settings (100% convinced there was one before)

I am fairly sure there were more options in the past but that is all I can see now. 

Am I missing anything?

Dmd29
Aspirant
Aspirant

PS: I don't think temperature is a problem. The same set of cameras has gone through at least 2 full years and was performing fine throughout the winter and the snow.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Dmd29 wrote:

Thanks for sharing the link. I do not see any option to set rules or modes (note that I am on Arlo Pro).

Am I missing anything?

You aren't looking at the modes, you are looking at the camera settings.

Start by selecting modes from the Web UI or app.  Then choose to edit one (choose ARMED if you've never set up a custom mode).