Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 13 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 9 In Conversation
rkm
Apprentice
Apprentice

Okay it's great to see that Netgear/Arlo is working on new stuff, and that the Pro has new features.

But the one thing I really think they missed - is upgrading the cameras to full 1920x1080 HD instead of the standard 1280x720.

I really can't see why this hasn't been done - the Q has 1080, and technically I don't believe this would have been a deal breaker.....

My only hope is that this step has been prepared on the hardware site and at some point there will be a software update when whatever was in the way (battery life?) has been solved....

13 REPLIES 13
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

One reason I can see is do to the rate of date the 1080 pushes thru for not a big improvement in normal viewing. Qs can peak at 1.5mb/sec...

The Arlo units compress the video anyway ( in the base , TMK ) so it may have been a give-take choice

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
unco
Star
Star

Probably drip feeding they can bring out the Arlo Pro Plus after everyone has spent their money on the Pro.  

"All the features of the Pro PLUS 1080P resolution."

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Don't forget that higher resolution equals more battery usage from both the sensor as well as the radio.

zaydon
Aspirant
Aspirant

Netgear also went with 2.4Ghz 802.11 b/g/n for the Pro Model.

Most likely 1920x1080 would saturate that link. I realize 5.2Ghz is not good for Arlo's required distance, but not sure why they skipped out on 802.11ac other than potentially being not as battery effeciant. 

A good 1280x720 image is good enough for me. Going to mount outside today and see if this thing actually captures motion in time.

ChrisLi
Aspirant
Aspirant

I will not upgrade the camera until the 1080P camera would release...

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

We haven't heard of any such upgrade.  It may be due to power consumption and battery life since the file size would be larger and the radios would need to be active longer.

40calripken
Aspirant
Aspirant

Agree...skipped the original because of no 1080 but did finally get this revision. I hate that it's missing that feature but of all the camera options on the market, this the only one I could easily install facing the house rather than mounted on the house, and do so stealthily. 

migman_2001
Luminary
Luminary

A competing company just announced a 1080p wireless, battery operated camera.  It runs for up to 2 yrs on two AA lithium batteries.  Cost, $119.00.

40calripken
Aspirant
Aspirant

migman_2001 wrote:

A competing company just announced a 1080p wireless, battery operated camera.  It runs for up to 2 yrs on two AA lithium batteries.  Cost, $119.00.

Interesting! Do you have the name of the company or product?

migman_2001
Luminary
Luminary

Blink.   The outdoor camera is currently available for preorder shipping in January or February.

40calripken
Aspirant
Aspirant

Wow, I will have to look into this and consider returning my Arlo but seems like you need the 5-camera indoor system to get one pre-order?

Streak2
Master Master
Master

Just remember to take all features into account.

I find that there is no perfect solution, you need to choose the one that matches your needs as close as possible.

How good is the app?

How long are the video clips and how much free cloud storage do you get?

How reliable is the product, range, motion detection etc.?

How good is the support?

etc. etc.

40calripken
Aspirant
Aspirant

Streak2 wrote:

Just remember to take all features into account.

I find that there is no perfect solution, you need to choose the one that matches your needs as close as possible.

How good is the app?

How long are the video clips and how much free cloud storage do you get?

How reliable is the product, range, motion detection etc.?

How good is the support?

etc. etc.

I'm huge on geofencing, even in Beta, for me that is one of the best features of Arlo.