Newly bought ARLO Pro unresponsive after firmware upgrade

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 In Conversation
xa2
Aspirant
Aspirant

Bought Arlo pro camera w/ base station from Best Buy this afternoon, get back and set it all up. Camera worked fine until I clicked to update its firmware. Now it is unresponsive, no LED blink, yet the sides of the camera are warm indicating it is still on. Battery said it was at 100% when I chose to update. If I remove the battery, it breifly connects to the base station, then disconnects and becomes unresponsive. Only opening battery door does not evoke any response. Only response I get is when I plug in the charging cable and the blue light blinks for about 10 seconds. Left the camera alone for 10 minutes and still unresponsive. Not sure how to proceed in troubleshooting.

Edit: when trying to debug the issue I attempted to power cycle the camera again by taking out the battery and now it does not connect to the base station anymore

Edit2: found other forum posts saying to disable camera during updates, didn't work the first time and said the camera rejected the update, but after another power cycle this solution worked. Still don't know why the camera became unresponsive though  

5 REPLIES 5
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Take the  "BAD" camera and open the battery door, pull battery

go into settings and use REMOVE DEVICE for camera.

Power button reboot the base

When power and internet leds are green, replace battery, close the battery door of the camera

Try and re-sync camera by QUICKLY pushing the base sync button ( don't hold ) and then the camera sync button

Hopefuly all wil be well and will sync as should.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
xa2
Aspirant
Aspirant

Spoke too soon, the camera worked overnight but when I left my apartment and tried to log in later in the day the base station said the camera was offline. got back and saw the camera was warm again (as if it's still on) and is unresponsive to pressing the sync button. battery said 100 percent this morning before leaving. base station is still connecred to the internet. is this most likely a firmware or hardware problem?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
I wouldn't think the camera should be warm since it should be in sleep mode most of the time. I'd open a case with support.
ValiantThor
Aspirant
Aspirant

Same thing is happening to me. Just got it setup for the first time yesterday. I have 1 pro camera and arlo pro base station and 2 regular arlo cameras. Did all the updates. Everything was working great until i first noticed my Pro camera was not recording during motion activity anymore later that day. When i went into the mode settings to edit it and see why i noticed the option to "record until activity stops (300 second max)" was no longer there so i just set the record time manually to 120 seconds.

It started to work again after that although i was disappointed that the option to record until motion or sound activity stops was no longer available. I wasn't sure why. perhaps it was removed during an update. Moving along. During the night it was recording various activity but not much. During the morning and afternoon the next day it recorded several times and when i opened the app to view the recent recordings it showed my Pro camera was offline. I thought maybe the battery already died. I took the camera inside and plugged it in to charge. When i plugged it in to the charging cable i saw the blue sync light on the camera blink rapidly for a few seconds and then nothing. I waited 1 hour for it charge and the Arlo system still showed it offline. I then removed the device from the base station via the app to attempt to resync the Arlo Pro camera. I press sync on the base station and the light blinks as it should but when i press the sync button on the Arlo Pro camera nothing happens. Its completely dead. I removed the battery to power cycle it and still nothing. 1 day of use and the Arlo Pro is dead. The Arlo cameras still work fine but the Pro is not. I have tried everything and now i'm on hold with support to see what can be done to fix. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I'd swap the system at the store - much faster resolution.  Remove all devices from Settings, My Devices first. Not fun to have bad hardware but the sooner it's resolved, the better.