Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

10:42 AM 9-24-2019: In an effort to answer your questions efficiently, we'll be answering your question within the same post where it was asked. Due to the number of duplicate questions, you may need to refer to the first post answered.

Arlo recently released a new Arlo App for iOS and Android mobile devices. Please join Alex Jukl, senior product manager for Arlo iOS, Android and Web applications at 11AM PT this Tuesday 9/24/19 as he shares the highlights of this update and takes your questions about the new Arlo mobile app.

Alex will be taking your questions live in this Arlo Community discussion thread at 11AM PT Tuesday 9/24/19. We will leave this thread open until the end of the day for you to post questions if you can’t make it during the live chat. Alex will come back and respond to the questions you leave outside the time of our scheduled chat.

AlexJ.png

Alex Jukl serves as senior product manager for iOS, Android, and Web applications at Arlo where he is responsible for creating and delivering new features and enhancements to the Arlo apps. Since joining the company, Alex has led the effort to create and launch the new “By Arlo” app. Prior to Arlo, he held roles in business planning and product marketing at consumer electronics companies where he delivered connected solutions for creative professionals and enthusiasts. Alex earned his bachelor of arts at UC Santa Cruz (go Slugs!) and a MBA from Santa Clara University.

We look forward to having you join the conversation!

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ArloAlex
Arlo Employee Retired

Hey everyone - THANK YOU for all the feedback, we love your passion and hope we can continue to address your questions! We're a bit over-time here but I'd like to continue to get back to all of you over the course of the next week. 

For now, if you haven't moved to the new "Arlo" app, I'd like to encourage you to do so quickly - after September 30, 2019, the old Netgear "Arlo Legacy" app will not be able to access your account. To have no interruption in your ability to access your cameras or account from your iOS or Android device, it's important to migrate over now. 

And, once you get the new Arlo app, it's a great idea to enable 'two-step verification' to add more protection to your account. 

Thanks all - looking forward to continuing the conversation!

Alex

View solution in original post

237 REPLIES 237
DrennanDennis
Tutor
Tutor

What’s up with the double push notifications for iOS devices, possibly all devices

---

Hey @DrennanDennis , we are definitely aware of this and have been gathering data to pinpoint the root cause here. I think we're making some progress, and I hope we can resolve this soon. Thanks for reporting this!

-Alex

Khiles
Initiate
Initiate

There has been no change to the app, why is there so much about this "new app" that's so exciting? It's the exact same horrible app that it was before. You just made me re-download it. And caused notification issues.

---

Hi @Khiles - Sorry to hear you are having issues with notifications...this is an area we're looking into. Can you clarify what issues you are specifically seeing with notifications?

In terms of what's new - versions 2.8+ of course have bug fixes (including iOS 13 support for iPhone/iPad). We rolled out two-step verification (a feature we were really excited to roll out to help protect your account from malicious actors!) Beyond that - Arlo is a separate entity from Netgear now, and there is a legal requirement for us to no longer have our app in the "Netgear"-branded developer accounts. We are definitely sensitive to the fact that this migration requires direct user intervention, but it's mandatory as a result of our split off. Sorry if downloading the new app caused any stress!

-Alex

Slimhaven
Guide
Guide

Will the Arlo integration ever work with Homekit?

---

Hi @Slimhaven - can you provide a bit more info here? Looks like you have a VMB4000, so your Arlo Pro and Arlo Pro 2 cameras should be compatible with HomeKit. What integration issues are you seeing? We're here to help!

-Alex

png
Apprentice
Apprentice

Is it possible to make the time stamp toggle-able again while in full screen?  Since the app can't export videos, I would screen record using a third party app.  Without displayed timestamp, this makes the footage less useful.

---

Hey @png - would you be able to reply here or DM me ( @ArloAlex ) with a screenshot?

I just checked full screen playback on a video on iPad, and I do see the camera name, date, and time in the upper left. We recently adjusted the UI such that these details only appear when the other 'chrome' is on the player, ie, the play button and the scrub bar...so in your screenshot, please be sure to have tapped the full-screen video first to bring up these controls. That is when you should see the date/time. 

-Alex

Tconstable
Initiate
Initiate

When you released the new app why didn’t you allow for us iOS users to have the option to change the notification tone? The only one you have is horrible and on two separate occasions I’ve had people on my property (one time broke into my truck) and because of the crappy notification tone was not woken up

---

@Tconstable , I'm sorry to hear someone broke into your truck! Hopefully all is ok - that bites.

In terms of custom notification tone on iOS - we definitely hear you, and thanks for letting us know that there is interest in this feature! Stay tuned..........

-Alex

cbrittney22
Initiate
Initiate

Hey I’m having a problem with the night vision. It’s so dark. Almost greyed out. Like it’s foggy outside but it’s not. Anything I can do

---

Hi @cbrittney22 - Hm...in the "Video Settings" for that camera, can you please confirm that changing "Video Brightness" has no effect? And during daytime - can you describe the video quality, ie, does it look foggy in the daytime? Last Q (for now) - is it fair to assume that the front of the camera is totally clean, and there's no spider webs around the front (even if not in front of the lens directly)?

-Alex

heldog
Initiate
Initiate

I was wondering the same thing about the app.  It doesn't look any different than the old one.  I also still keep getting messages to download the new app.

---

Hi @heldog , you're absolutely right that it doesn't look much different, but it's SUPER critical that you update to the new app as soon as possible (and before September 30 at the latest)! Due to the legal requirements of our separation from Netgear, we need to stop allowing logins to the 'old' app after September 30. So, to continue to have access to your cameras, recordings, and systems on iOS or Android, we need to ask you to download and log in to the "new" app (ie, version 2.8+).

And, while it's pretty similar on the outside, there are several improvements "under the hood", including two-step verification (which is meant to prevent unauthorized users from accessing your account). Bonus - in the new app, there are no reminders to update the app anymore. 😉 

-Alex 

Pawnee
Initiate
Initiate

About half the time I activate a camera to view, the camera turns on and sound is heard, but screen is black (no picture). What is cause?

---

Hi @Pawnee - how do the recorded clips look to you...is this only happening when you live stream? If so, can you please provide some more info here...ie, iOS/Android/Web and which version of the app? Can you recreate the issue on multiple apps (ie, if you see it on Android, does it also happen on Web)? This will help to diagnose and troubleshoot the issue. Can you please contact support with this information, so we can make sure it gets in the right hands here?

-Alex

Dup3fc
Initiate
Initiate

Bring back the appletv app. It’s the main thing I use with Arlo. The app was perfectly fine as is. Why cancel it?

---

Hey @Dup3fc - We're temporarily ceasing support for the AppleTV app as part of the legally required migration off of the Netgear-branded developer app accounts. And, unfortunately, to re-launch the app on our own (Arlo) account, we need to update it with the same level of security as our new apps (2.8+ for instance).

Some questions for you, though:

• What do you primarily use the Arlo AppleTV app for?
  • If you had a magic wand, what would the app do for you? 
  • What frustrates you about the AppleTV app today?

Thanks in advance for your feedback on what you'd like to see in a new AppleTV app, and especially for your patience. Sorry for the inconvenience!!

-Alex

LD00
Initiate
Initiate

I'm wondering the same. I've gotten notifications the past few days even after updating. I think someone's at my house, but it's Arlo telling me to update! I'm having issues with live feed, as well.

--

Hey there, @LD00 - can you please help me understand, with a screenshot, what you mean with "it's Arlo telling me to update!"...? Do you have the old ("Arlo Legacy") app installed as well as the new Arlo app (version 2.8+)? 

Also, when you say you're having issues with the live feed, can you please clarify what you are seeing here?

Thanks!

-Alex

Inh
Initiate
Initiate

@Inh 13! 

-Alex

Retired_Member
Not applicable

Would love to see a flood light replacement similar to https://www.amazon.com/Sengled-Security-Waterproof-Activated-Floodlight/dp/B073DGBG8Z. This would be easy add on for you.   This would use power from existing fixtures and not use batteries.  If not make a fixture replacement like Ring.  

--

Hey @Retired_Member - thanks for the idea, I'll pass it along.

In the meantime, I really like using the spotlight on my Arlo Ultra (and the soon-to-be-available Pro 3, hey hey!) to 'light up the night.' 🙂 And before that, I was pairing an Arlo Pro with the Arlo Security Lights - one would trigger the other, and I'd get a pretty bright view of what was happening at night!

-Alex

mrhuhon
Initiate
Initiate

I seem to be getting many more red notifications on the app than what appears in the videos, is this the problem that people are referencing and how to I correct it? The notices really buzz a lot on the apple watch app and it is distracting getting multiples when not required.

---

Hi @mrhuhon - I think what you are referring to (in the first instance) is the 'notification' badge on iOS...ie the little red bubble that appears on top of the app icon. And, good news, we are working continuing to work on this (we believe we've resolved one aspect of the issue, so far).

As far as "multiple notifications" go - yep, we're also working on this one. We've been gathering data from employees who are also seeing this issue. 

-Alex

Arlouser092419
Initiate
Initiate

Please fix the App or return our money. People are gone before the cameras even connect. By far the worse cameras I have ever owned. Good luck with the new app that is exactly the same. For 600$ you could do better.

---

Hey @Arlouser092419 , sorry to hear you're having some difficulty here..it sounds like the big issue you're facing is that the cameras aren't capturing motion when it occurs, or that the cameras only activate after the subject has left the field of view. May I ask if you have also tried adjusting the angle or position of the camera(s)? And, if you have multiple cameras, do they each behave the same if you swap locations?

If you DM me at @ArloAlex , I can get you connected with Support to troubleshoot this in more depth.

-Alex

nealtherep
Tutor
Tutor

When will Homekit be available for the 4k cameras?

---

HI @nealtherep 

Stay tuned! 😉 

-Alex

archanut
Initiate
Initiate

Arlo app needs to be much faster when accessing the cameras and using the microphone.  People have come and gone by time I access the camera or the microphone. 

--

Hey @archanut , thanks for the feedback - I'll take this back to our teams!

-Alex

KSfromTX
Initiate
Initiate

Will there finally be fixes for the poor geofencing (using Android) performance?  It rarely is accurate /turns off or on based on location.   In all seriousness this issue alone makes me want to switch to another system, which is unfortunate because I like the hardware.

---

Hi @KSfromTX - Geofencing is high on our list to continue to optimize! Sorry that you've bumped into some issues with it!

Our team would like some additional information on what you are seeing here - may I ask that you fill out this survey https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/KWNVSQ3 so that we can diagnose and troubleshoot? Also, in case you haven't yet, please check https://kb.arlo.com/000062271/Why-isn-t-the-Geofencing-mode-working , for more helpful tips to optimize your setup.

Thanks in advance!

-Alex

70sds
Initiate
Initiate

Model 4430

Will not let my guest (wife) be accepted/granted access.  Was granted administrative rights.

Called your tech and they could not help us.

--

@70sds When the invitation to grant access is sent, you must be sure to accept the invitation using the provided link. Take a look here for step by step instructions: https://kb.arlo.com/000039122/How-do-I-add-friends-to-my-Arlo-account

-JamesC

PAnthony
Initiate
Initiate

When will the new Arlo App be fixed to allow iphone logins with face id?

--

Hey @PAnthony - actually, the new Arlo app does support logging in via FaceID.

Because we knew that users migrating to the new app would have a bunch of stuff to click through (and in some cases, re-set up in the case of Geofencing or Call a Friend), we decided to provide a small buffer period before we interrupted your experience again with a pop-up to activate FaceID.

However, if you'd like to activate it manually, you can do so from Settings  > Profile > Login Settings > Log in with Face ID (more details are here : https://kb.arlo.com/1085096/How-do-I-log-in-to-the-Arlo-app-using-fingerprint-or-face-authentication )

And, for even further security, I'd recommend activating two-step verification if you have not done so already! 🙂

-Alex

dj28gupt
Guide
Guide
Problems with the app notifications on an iPhone. There never was problems before the new app. Now it’s hard to delete recordings and when you do it still shows badge notification numbers when there is no videos there.
Rnfmcd
Tutor
Tutor

How can I check to see if my cameras have time stamps of not?

Zizi
Initiate
Initiate
Hello,
We invested lots of money on Arlo in 2016. We spoke with Arlo rep recently about the upgrades. Unfortunately no options at all. Will you consider a possible buy back from your customers? Each Arlo camera has 4 batteries, every 2-3 months we have to recharge the batteries. Because they are too old, we cannot even add solar panel and other technology.
heldog
Initiate
Initiate

15 minutes into the discussion and no Alex posts.  What's up with that?

---

tenor.gif

Sorry couldn't resist. I am here now! 🙂 

-Alex

Slimhaven
Guide
Guide