Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 23 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 7 In Conversation
iSage
Luminary
Luminary

I noticed the past two days or so (since Thursday, 6/13/19), that even though I am getting the push notifications on my iPhone and iPad, as well as also getting the videos to the library,  the email notifications were not showing up, or coming through HOURS later. 

And today (Sat., 6/15/19), even though I have over 100 videos in my library for motion detected on my 3 ARLO Wireless cams,  and received over 100 push notifications, I did NOT get ANY email notifications at all.   Not even ONE today!

My email account is working fine today, and has been previously.  I'm getting all other email in a timely manner, including the test emails I sent myself from a different account today. I once again check my settings and all are set properly with the same email address I've used for such notifications for the past almost 4 years. 

As I stated, all was working fine until about 3 days ago when email notifications were coming in hours after the push notification and videos appeared in my library, and today NO emails at all - not even one! (I'm on the east coast and right now of this posting it is 8:55pm ET).

~Susan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
iSage
Luminary
Luminary

@jguerdat  , @JMM118  ...

Just as I thought and mentioned above, the problem was on ARLO's end, not my email server domain (AOL.com)

I just had a live chat with an ARLO rep, and here in part is what he told me after I explained the situation (copy/pasted from actual live chat with him):

"...I see that your email address has been blacklisted, that is why you cannot be able to received email on your main account. It only happens when there is changes or updates on the domain of your email account server, It will automatically blacklisted on the Arlo system but don't worry we can remove it from blacklist...."

It took several minutes, but he was then able to remove my email address from the blacklist, we tested it by me setting off one of my cams, and once again after 5 days , I am getting the email motion alert notifications on my original email addy. 

@JMM118 - you too, would need to call or have a live chat with ARLO - once you give them the email address you are having the problem with, they can look it up and fix the problem while you wait 🙂

~Susan

View solution in original post

23 REPLIES 23
iSage
Luminary
Luminary

::::UPDATE to my original post above::::

(Sunday, 6/16/19)

I was still not getting email notifications this morning, even though I was still getting the push notifications when motion was detected on any of my 3 ARLO Wireless cams, and the videos were also in the library.   So, I added an additional email address (gmail.com) to my original one for the past almost 4 years (aol.com).

Lo and behold - I am getting the email notifications on my gmail.com email address but still NOT getting them on my original aol.com email address. It's as if my aol.com addy was blocked or blacklisted by Netgear (??)

Is there such a thing?  If so, can it be fixed, because I had created the original aol.com addy just for the ARLO email notifications, and would much rather get them there than at my gmail addy.

~Susan

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Arlo simply sends to the email address you supply. It doesn't (can't) block the email. However, your email provider certainly can - use their support to figure out why they block the Arlo emails.

iSage
Luminary
Luminary

@jguerdat wrote:

Arlo simply sends to the email address you supply. It doesn't (can't) block the email. However, your email provider certainly can - use their support to figure out why they block the Arlo emails.

Thanks for the reply, @jguerdat 🙂  ...

Interesting that I DID get a copy of your post/reply to me in an email notification to my aol.com email account, the same exact account that I'm not getting the motion notifications on as I explained above. Your reply and the email motion alerts are from the same arlo.com domain/server (your post/reply came from community-no-reply@arlo.com, while the motion emails come from alerts@arlo.com
  I used to work for AOL for many, many years, so I got in contact directly with someone who could check on this for me - was told AOL is NOT blocking ANY arlo.com domain server email to me at all. Was told the problem is then from ARLO/Netgear's end...
   Then I found this post from 3 months ago - https://community.arlo.com/t5/Arlo/No-e-mail-notifications-today/m-p/1516883 , from someone experiencing a very similar problem as myself, but his email domain is earthlink.net.
  As you can see by his reply to his own post, he called ARLO's support rep and the ARLO rep told him that they (ARLO) had to block earthlink.net for security reasons, and then the ARLO rep whitelisted it on his end for it to work again.
  I now truly believe that this is what happened to me, and this is why after almost 4 years of getting the email notifications on my aol.com account, they suddenly stopped all together.  

ARLO needs to whitelist the AOL.COM domain again because it seems to be that they started blocking it at least 2 days ago - at least as far as getting email from "alerts@arlo.com"
   Hoping that someone from Netgear message board support sees this and can pass this along and get it resolved for me.
TIA.
~Susan

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I'd strongly suggest that you open a case with support to report this since this is just a user forum with only a few Arlo employees checking in. The case would be the way to raise the issue and get support metrics:

https://www.arlo.com/en-us/support/contact.aspx

JMM118
Aspirant
Aspirant

Same thing is happening to me. Last email with alert was saturday 6/15/2019. I have deleted my aol name and then added it back to no avail. I added my wifes AOL and it works fine. I still get the push notifications. I have reset base and all cameras still no luck. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It would seem that if one AOL address works but not another the problem lies either with your email client software or AOL.

JMM118
Aspirant
Aspirant

If it was AOL how would the push notifications still go through and not the emails. Also what do you mean by client software.  Alos my regular emails with AOL still work fine.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Push notifications have nothing to do with any email provider. It's simply a notification function of your phone app.

I can't explain nor determine if AOL is the problem or not since I don't use AOL. That's why I suggest contacting them - one address works but another doesn't. 

As for the client, I mean the piece of software you use to access your mail. Do both people use the same software? Have you compared settings to see if anything is different in that software?

iSage
Luminary
Luminary

@jguerdat  , @JMM118  ...

Just as I thought and mentioned above, the problem was on ARLO's end, not my email server domain (AOL.com)

I just had a live chat with an ARLO rep, and here in part is what he told me after I explained the situation (copy/pasted from actual live chat with him):

"...I see that your email address has been blacklisted, that is why you cannot be able to received email on your main account. It only happens when there is changes or updates on the domain of your email account server, It will automatically blacklisted on the Arlo system but don't worry we can remove it from blacklist...."

It took several minutes, but he was then able to remove my email address from the blacklist, we tested it by me setting off one of my cams, and once again after 5 days , I am getting the email motion alert notifications on my original email addy. 

@JMM118 - you too, would need to call or have a live chat with ARLO - once you give them the email address you are having the problem with, they can look it up and fix the problem while you wait 🙂

~Susan

JMM118
Aspirant
Aspirant

susan,

I contacted Arlo. I too was blacklisted. The rep removed me from the list. I will check later to see if it worked. I suggested they post something on thier site. Thanks for the help.

iSage
Luminary
Luminary

@JMM118 wrote:

susan,

I contacted Arlo. I too was blacklisted. The rep removed me from the list. I will check later to see if it worked. I suggested they post something on thier site. Thanks for the help.

You're most welcome, @JMM118 🙂

And yes, I agree that something should definitely be posted on the site as well as giving a heads-up to any of these ARLO support message board reps, considering from what I can tell by reading even older posts within the past year, this has happened a lot to other people.

~Susan

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Since one AOL address was blacklisted but not another, I would guess that your address has been used for spam or something. I thought the issue was AOL-wide, not individual addresses.

Thanks for all the info, it should help others.

iSage
Luminary
Luminary

@jguerdat wrote:

Since one AOL address was blacklisted but not another, I would guess that your address has been used for spam or something. I thought the issue was AOL-wide, not individual addresses.

Thanks for all the info, it should help others.

If an AOL account email address is sending spam, whether intentionally or because it has been hacked/compromised, then AOL would be the one doing the blocking - they would not allow any email into that address' inbox or out. 

With AOL, you can have several email addresses, but it doesn't mean that because they are all @aol.com/same domain, that they are on the same email server.  AOL has servers all over the US and abroad for foreign accounts.  Which is why, no doubtedly, @JMM118 was able to use an alternate AOL.com address when another was blacklisted. 

The ARLO chat rep says this happens quite often, and so far he has fixed not only AOL addresses today, but GMAIL.com as well.   And in one of my previous replies in this thread, I linked to an older post where someone with an Earthlink.net email address had become blacklisted as well. 

Doesn't mean that everyone out there with AOL or Gmail addresses were effected at same time - only those on the domain servers that had any sort of recent updates or changes.

At least there is an answer now going forward, for anyone who stops getting their ARLO email alerts.  They just need to speak or chat with ARLO and be removed from the ARLO blacklist.

~Susan

Deanomite
Apprentice
Apprentice

Having the same issue, unfortunately Arlo has not mentioned this to me as a solution or if they are even aware of it. Unable to contact support or chat to try resolve it. I tried a few other email addresses but no luck there either, so unsure if it's the blacklisting. 

Digitalguru709
Aspirant
Aspirant
Arlo pro been hacked for a while it stops recording hours of the day, not it removes my notification emails from the mode and I have to add it back. Anything I can do to increase security. It won’t record motion or library as well.
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@Deanomite

Have you tried using a different web browser or the phone number for customer support?

I have attached the support link here for you - Arlo Tech Support

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@Digitalguru709

Have you tried to reboot your base station and test again?

What firmware version is your base & cameras running?

Digitalguru709
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thanks for your reply. I reboot it all the time it doesn’t work. I even tried to put a timer to power cycle it and t still won’t record consistently or send emails that it recorded. It won’t record mostly when I’m not at home.
Digitalguru709
Aspirant
Aspirant
I’ve got another hub to see if it’s hardware. And they both won’t record at times when I’m not at home. Gaps in coverage and library.
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@Digitalguru709

When did this issue first occur? Is there a chance your wifi is dropping or some sort of interference at times?

What firmware is your base station & cameras running?

Digitalguru709
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have had the original base hardwired the entire time. The second one I bought also had been hardwired. The cameras never go offline and always play when asked to go live. The recordings on the modes just don’t trigger in custom or default modes. And recently the secondary email I added was removed and I had to add it again which is new.
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@Digitalguru709

Did you try and reboot the cameras by removing and reinserting the batteries?

If that does not help, you can try removing the cameras from Settings > My Devices > Re-add them

mjpetrisko
Tutor
Tutor

I have the same issue now with my comcast.net email accounts.  If I change to gmail it works.  All of a sudden, it stopped sending some, not all email notifications.  Some come the next day.  I thought the base may have had an issue, but it is just a router.  Communications apparently come from the "cloud".  Getting very frustrated as I deleted my cameras and rewrote the rules.  All for nothing.