Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

My account was hijacked after sharing access

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
MikeOK1
Aspirant
Aspirant
I shared access with a guy staying with me and I thought it was limited. Now he’s admin somehow and it just tells me everything’s offline. Any idea how I can take it back or even how this could happen in the first place? Any helps appreciated as I’m completely perplexed by this. Thanks
9 REPLIES 9
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

With sharing access, there is no way another could take over the account completely ( unless the other person knew your password )

So, you should still have control ( yes depending on how much access you granted the other person, they can deleted vids and such )...

First is to change your password to something strong.

Second is then you can lower or delete the granted access.

https://kb.arlo.com/1103229/What-privileges-do-my-friends-have-when-I-grant-them-access-rights-in-my...

https://kb.arlo.com/1101094/How-do-I-delete-friends-from-my-Arlo-account

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@MikeOK1 wrote:
it just tells me everything’s offline.

What tells you that?

How do you know it has anything to do with shared access?

I would look for other explanations.

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@michaelkenward wrote:

@MikeOK1 wrote:
it just tells me everything’s offline.

I would look for other explanations.

I agree that isn't a sign that the account has been hijacked.

Check the LEDs on your base station(s) next: https://kb.arlo.com/000039100/What-do-the-LEDs-on-my-Arlo-SmartHub-or-base-station-mean

MikeOK1
Aspirant
Aspirant
I think what happened is he reset my base station and set up a new account. It’s the only thing I can think of at this point. My app just says the base station is offline. I think I’ll have to create a new account or something, not totally sure what he did
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@MikeOK1 wrote:
I think what happened is he reset my base station and set up a new account. It’s the only thing I can think of at this point. My app just says the base station is offline. I think I’ll have to create a new account or something, not totally sure what he did

If he did that, then your base station wouldn't show up in your account at all.  So that's not what happened.

Tell us what the base station LEDs say (re-asking the question in the previous post).

Also, perhaps try pulling out the power cord in the base and plugging it back in again.

MikeOK1
Aspirant
Aspirant
Okay they’re all green. Constant except the middle light blinks occasionally(bout 10 times). I had it unplugged for a day or two and reset it when I found he moved and hid them inside if that makes a difference. Again I really appreciate the help. If he recorded my 17 year old daughter With this I’ll never forgive myself, I need to figure it out
michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@MikeOK1 wrote:
I think what happened is he reset my base station and set up a new account.

Unlikely. I still believe that this behaviour is coincidental.

@MikeOK1 wrote:
My app just says the base station is offline.

If this is a mobile app, then my money is on that as the issue.

A better test would be to use a browser on a PC to go into my.arlo.com and to login to your account and check your Arlo system.

@MikeOK1 wrote:
Okay they’re all green. Constant except the middle light blinks occasionally(bout 10 times).

This is a sign that your hub is working as expected. The blinking light is a sign of traffic.

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@MikeOK1 wrote:
 I had it unplugged for a day or two and reset it when I found he moved and hid them inside if that makes a difference. 

You reset the base station via the pinhole?  That would explain your symptoms. 

Try removing the base station from your account and re-adding it.  It should then give you the option to re-add all your cameras.  If it misses some (or all), then you'll need to resync them manually.

To clarify the account security:  Your base and camera can only be in one account.  If you see them in your account (off-line or not), then they can't be in another account.  If you gave him your login information, then you should definitely change your account password. 

You also need to make sure he hasn't been granted access to your cameras from a second account.  https://kb.arlo.com/1101094/How-do-I-delete-friends-from-my-Arlo-account

You can also enable two factor authentication:  https://kb.arlo.com/000062288/What-is-two-step-verification-and-how-do-I-set-it-up 

MikeOK1
Aspirant
Aspirant
I’ll just try starting it all over. I reset the base station After symptoms had already started so that’s not the cause. Either way I’ll just try starting over