Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

My Arlo Pro Is Not Charging My Batteries

Discussion stats
  • 12 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
Chaucer
Aspirant
Aspirant

Well I’ve just joined this community, as I can’t get hold of Netgear, without it costing me money, no way am I prepared to pay. Sorry. 

I bought my 3 camera Arlo Pro camera kit last July, setup ok and work ok up until about March this year, when one of the batteries wouldn’t take a charge. Basically once plugged into the Arlo wall charger, the battery icon on the app would alternate between its current charge (15%) and Zero and the lightning symbol background would alternate white to black. The camera would show a blue led when first plugged in, but would then show a flashing amber, then the phone would get constant messages saying “Low Battery. Arlo dinning room 4XH********C2 camera has 0% battery left”.  

I went throught process that Netgear suggested to try and get it working, tried the battery in the other two cameras, but still this issue, all dealt with through Live chat. Netgear as a good will gesture sent a new battery out free of charge, which I thought was a given, as it seem to me it’s not normal behaviour. 

Anyway3 weeks ago, the same thing happened again on one of the batteries, exact same issue. I thought I’d contact the Live chat, but although it’s displayed on their website, when I select Live Chat, I just get a blank pop up page, with just the Arlo logo in the top left corner, nothing else. The other alternative is to call their premium rate phone line, which I’m definitely not going to do. 

The Arlo Pro batteries are very expensive in the UK, so I feel this issue needs to be resolve by Netgear. The problem hasn’t been helped with the latest issues where the batteries now seem be running out much quicker, even with the same minimal use. 

Can anybody help please, as I’m getting pretty annoyed at the cost of this system, particularly if we are going to have buy these expensive batteries, when we shouldn’t need to. 

12 REPLIES 12
brh
Master
Master

@Chaucer

A couple of quick questions, (or more than a couple, LOL), Did the new battery Arlo sent you fix the problem for a while? Did you try tthe supposed defective battery in different cameras? This time, is the same camera/battery combo acting up?

Does the Arlo power adapter charge your other cameras?

Brian

Chaucer
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi bro Master,

heres the answers to your questions. 

New battery that that they sent fixed first battery problem. 

Tried the defective battery in all three cameras, all had same result, battery wouldn’t charge. 

Current battery problem is with one of the original batteries and it won’t charge in any of the three cameras, plus neither the original Arlo charger supplied with the kit or the new Arlo charger that came with the replacement battery, will charge this faulty battery. 

The new battery and the other original battery, will charge with both Arlo battery chargers. 

I believe eve it is the battery that is faulty, same issue as the last one. 

Cheers

Chaucer

Chaucer
Aspirant
Aspirant

Sorry Brian, Auto spell correct changed brh to bro! 😉

brh
Master
Master

@Chaucer

I do believe that you indeed have a defective battery again. This to me sounds strange that you have had 2 defective batteries while still under the warranty period. I have mine all connected to solar panels and they all still seem to be holding up well although I did have problems with the battery connectors in one camera.

Since the camera and battery seems to be still in the warranty period, I don't believe you should have to pay to get it replaced. I know they say 90 day free techinical support, but I don't know if they are in fact enforcing this policy, especially since the battery should still be under warranty.

You have probably used this number before, but here is the Support number in the UK: 0844 875 4000.

Explain to them that this is a warranty problem.

If you don't get any help there, post a message here to @JamesC who is the site moderator and see if he can expedite your complaint.

So far I have been very happy with my 8 Arlo cameras, so don't give up. I believe your situation is rare.

Brian

brh
Master
Master

@Chaucer

Just for the fun of it I am sending you the Arlo KB article that pertains to batteries that won't recharge. It seems that there might be some electronics involved with the camera recognizing the battery so taking the proper steps in order is important.

https://kb.arlo.com/000052305/My-Arlo-Pro-or-Arlo-Pro-2-battery-is-dead-what-do-I-do

You have probably tried this already, but I thought I would post it just in case.

Brian

Chaucer
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for your help Brian, I have tried that process many times without success unfortunately. Also I’m not prepared to call their premium rate help line, I wanted to do same as I did last time, through the Live Chat, but that now doesn’t seem to work, neither on my iPad or my computer. When you select the Live chat, a new page opens, but apart from the Arlo logo in the top left corner, the page is blank! I’ve tried it on my friends computers as well, with the same results, I guess Netgear don’t want customers using this service anymore!

if anybody can inform me how I can speak to Netgear without using a premium rate phone number, that would be great. 

Cheers

brh
Master
Master

@Chaucer

That is so strange. I have seen several people say that the Live Chat is not working, but it is working on my computer using Chrome as my web browser.

Anyway, post a message to @JamesC and ask him what the best way to get a defective battery replaced is.

Meanwhile, to keep your system up and running, why not purchase a spare battery so that your system is never crippled due to a battery failure.

Brian

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Chaucer,

I see you were able to open a support case with the Arlo Support Team on this issue. I apologize for the frustrating experience. Please let me know if you need any further assistance.

JamesC

arlousers
Aspirant
Aspirant

I think it is not the fault of the charger. Why? Because, u can remove the battery and the camera is powered.

It is also not the fault of the battery. Why? Because living battery still able to power the camera.

Arlo & Netgear Support. Have u check ur firmware? Yes, this is for the company to check. Not their users. This is new and never happened to us before. Thousands of complaint!!

Chaucer
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi, sorry for a late reply. 

Yes I have finally been able to contact the Live chat support, however, it has taken three attempts with different people on Live chat, to confirm that the batteries are faulty again. They have agreed to replace two batteries, but the email replies I’ve had, with a link to an RMA, simply don’t work. I have got back intouch again and they have sent me another two emails, with these links to fill in an RMA for the replacement batteries. Again they don’t work!

To be honest, I have got to the point now, where I am so frustrated, I feel like setting light to the Arlo pros, as the £600 + that I paid for them about a year ago, seems like a complete waste of money. The whole point of having security cameras, is they should be reliable. 

The Arlo support is simply not working for me, I give up!

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Chaucer,

Try copy and pasting the RMA link into your browser if clicking the link isn't working. Does this work?

JamesC

CharlieJo
Aspirant
Aspirant

I had the same problem with several batteries.  I had two replaced but was having several more do the same thing.  Charge level was at zero, when using the charger and camera combo, I'd get the message that the charger was not the right one.  When trying to use the dual battery charger, it wouldn't charge. I'd swapped out chargers, cables etc.

Finally, I bought a USB charger from Amazon from Wesserstein for about 12.00.  This, along with the Arlo charging cable, fixed everything.  Using the aftermarket charger, I could get the battery to take a base charge in the camera to a point that I could take it from the camera and use the dual charger.  It would then recognize the battery and complete the charge while I had the aftermarket priming the next battery in the camera.

Not sure why the Arlo charger wouldn't do this but the Wesserstein / camera combo worked every time. I hate having to spend any more money but it was worth it in saving of time and effort.