Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Motion sensitivity lowered after firmware upgrade???

Discussion stats
  • 16 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 8 In Conversation
Paul_FCCL
Prodigy
Prodigy

Noticed much lower motion sensitivity since recent firmware upgrade 1.092.0.4._13099 of July 10/17.

Have had camera in place and working great (up to 25' motion sensed) for over six months, never missed a beat. Only camera I never had any problems all this time, no changes made, battery charged over a month ago still at 82%. Suddenly its motion sensitivity is dropped way down to less than half, need to move across camera at least 12' to trigger it.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

16 REPLIES 16
steve_t
Master Master
Master

After that firmware update, I put my Pro camera back to 100 thinking I'd work through my process of reducing the motion sensitivity by 1 each time I got a false activation. Had zero false activations so it's staying at 100. Range is still great for me at 100

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Might be worthwhile reinserting the battery to see if the reset makes a difference.  I'd guess not.

Paul_FCCL
Prodigy
Prodigy

I had mine set at 95% ever since day one, worked great.......triggered by any thing that moved within up to 25' range. What in the world can make it change all of a sudden and why? Hope it wasn't the firmware upgrade, I'd be pretty angry if it turns out Netgear is out there breaking what is perfectly working (for a change).

Set sensitivity at 100% as well, but still need to get to within 10'-12' to be able to trigger it. Removing and replacing battery didn't make a difference. This is absurd!

Anyone else experiencing this?

Thanks.

steve_t
Master Master
Master

Contact Support and report it to them. If they broke it with a firmware update, no doubt they can fix it with a subsequent firmware update. In saying that, mine doesn't seem to struggle with the distance

Paul_FCCL
Prodigy
Prodigy

I guess I will have to do that.

Thanks.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Paul_FCCL,

No changes to sensitivity were made in the last firmware update to my knowledge. You might consider a base station reboot (using the on-off button) and test again. Are you seeing the same behavior across all of your cameras (if you have more than one)?

JamesC

Paul_FCCL
Prodigy
Prodigy

Just a coincidence then........tried that as well with no change. Other cameras are the original Arlo and they seem ok. I will call support and see what they can do.

Thanks.

Alexcaid
Tutor
Tutor

Hi,

I noticed the same problem. I have two systems. A Arlo first generation and a Pro. On two remote (different country) locations.

My home Arlo (first generation) which I have had for about two years, is filming my alley and I was surprised getting home after vacations that the system would not see me. It is filming my alley and I got not notification of motion detection when I got home. I had to push it to 100% and still, does not detect me all the times. This has never been an issue before (on the contrary, it was detecting moving tree branches). It is good not being notified anymore when wind is pushing stuff, but not if it does not tell me when someone is walking  in my alley.

My Arlo Pro is brand new and I installed it on my vacation site. I got suprised seeing someone walking her dog in my yard and Arlo not detecting it (it is filming it direct).

There is definitely an issue here !

Alex

Aliciajane
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have the same problem. Glad I'm not alone but it's really annoying. All 4 Arlo Pro cameras worked great for the first few weeks and now they don't pick up movement.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Alexcaid, Aliciajane

Please contact the Arlo Support Team to further investigate this issue. You will find several options for contacting support in the provided link.

JamesC

Alexcaid
Tutor
Tutor

Hi,

I got an answer from the support and discovered (sorry if it was obvious) that the motion detection is not image based, by infrared based. Support explaining that weather conditions can change sensitivity of the trigger.

In English : 

https://kb.arlo.com/583/How-does-the-motion-detection-feature-work-on-my-Arlo-cameras

https://kb.arlo.com/1015583/How-do-I-optimize-motion-detection-for-my-Arlo-Wire-Free-Arlo-Pro-Wire-F...

In French (my native language) :

https://kb.arlo.com/fr/2692/Comment-fonctionne-la-sensibilit%C3%A9-de-d%C3%A9tection-de-mouvements-d...

I wonder if very high temperatures, which is the case where one of my Arlo (Pro) system is with 85+ temperature (30°c) whould make a different. Everything is hot at that temperature ...

Also will try to change camera angle to get movements more side-to-side.

Now my other system (Arlo first generation) has always worked well and weather is not that hot where it is. So this would not explain a drop in sensitivity there.

Alex

[edit: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Features/Does-it-work-in-hot-weather/td-p/1041500]

JPC
Prodigy
Prodigy

Yes, noticed it too. All cameras were set to 99 sensitivity and the one that's on the garage pointing outside in the walkway used to trigger all passers by. Now no more. Never moved the camera since day one. It was when the update was done it started. Been doing the reboot and all and still the same. Also, when doing the reboot for many times on my iPhone using the latest update, the Arlo App suddenly crashed. It's doing reboot loop all of a sudden without touching anything. It's affecting the Base also. The only way to fix is to exit the App and log back in. There's definitely a bug that needs attention but of course if Arlo can't replicate the issue then nothing is wrong. I guess I'll just have to wait for the never ending issues to get fix in the upcoming update and hope for the best. I still have a month left before I return/exchange. All good Arlo.

steve_t
Master Master
Master

JPC, uninstall the app from your phone, restart your phone, reinstall the app from the App store and login and see if it loops again

JPC
Prodigy
Prodigy

Thanks steve_t, I did all that twice. It was fine for a couple of days but it came back recently again. Not sure if the recent iOS update made the Arlo App buggy? Also, I dunno' if you had experienced the long delay response when rebooting the Base from the App coz' I been having it. My cams would still be offline even the Base has done the reboot process so I had to exit the App and back to fix it. I do this most of the time not just once in awhile. So I figured this is a bug. 

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Please contact the Arlo Support Team to further investigate this issue. You will find several options for contacting support in the provided link.

JamesC

Jcamp
Apprentice
Apprentice

Wow, having the same problem. I have done nothing on my end but cameras no longer pick up my dog when I let her out at night and in the morning. Seems like every week something that has been working fine stops working after upgrade. Netgear get your act together before everybody starts switching.