Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

How to setup the base station on a network (not running DHCP server) manually?

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
daviddoria1
Aspirant
Aspirant

Manual network setup on VMB4000. I am trying to connect the base station to a Trendnet TEW-647GA (a wireless -> wired adapter). This thing is a little finicky, so I usually have to manually configure the network settings when I use it. But Arlo support has told me you cannot manually configure the network settings on the base station (seems bizarre, epsecially since it's made by Netgear??).

So the question is then, how do you guys setup the base station on a network that basically isn't running a DHCP server?

Thanks,

David

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
daviddoria1
Aspirant
Aspirant

I actually got it to work. Trendnet support was not very helpful in explaining how the device functions, but it seems like if I configured the Trendnet itself to use a static IP, that the Arlo then didn't work. But if I configured the Trendnet to use DHCP (to get its IP from my router), then the Arlo worked (though it still doesn't show up on my routers list of "devices that I've given an IP to").

David

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You can't. A DHCP server must be running.

daviddoria1
Aspirant
Aspirant

I actually got it to work. Trendnet support was not very helpful in explaining how the device functions, but it seems like if I configured the Trendnet itself to use a static IP, that the Arlo then didn't work. But if I configured the Trendnet to use DHCP (to get its IP from my router), then the Arlo worked (though it still doesn't show up on my routers list of "devices that I've given an IP to").

David

daviddoria1
Aspirant
Aspirant

The forum won't let me reply to my original question: https://community.arlo.com/t5/Arlo-Pro/How-to-setup-the-base-station-on-a-network-not-running-DHCP/m... but I thought this solution was sufficiently better to post again.

I mentioned that Trendnet device in the previous post got the job done, but it was such a pain and not reliable. Today I tried the TP-Link N300 Wireless Portable Nano Travel Router and it was extremely simple to setup for this - you follow the instructions for Client mode and it works like a charm. The Arlo base station worked as soon as I plugged it in.

Hopefully this helps the next guy!