Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Chris67
Luminary
Luminary

A reply to a topic you are following has been accepted as a solution!

Topic:

Mandatory Two-Step Authentication (Verification) a Bad Idea

Author:

ChrisKay (Follower)

Date:

2020-03-07 10:51 PM

I do not accept this as a solution. IT IS THE WHOLE PROBLEM

If you wish to shut down a topic for discussion please do not use trumped up solutions.

462 REPLIES 462
joe1821
Apprentice
Apprentice

@dcfox1,  I only check my cameras when I suspect something or about every 2 weeks in the first place.  In that case I am still going to have this inconvenience every time I check my system.  This is nonsense in the first place since everyone owning a system has enough sense to know that if they choose to disable this 2 step process they potentially COULD be taking a risk, a risk they have chosen to take.  A simple DISCLAIMER would solve the entire problem and allow each user to choose at his own discretion whether he is willing to take on that small risk.  ARLO, your bottom line will suffer for having done this.

joe1821
Apprentice
Apprentice

@d0lphin,

I couldn't agree with you more.  We did NOT accomplish a thing with ARLO.  Buy a new system and let their bottom line determine their future plans with a failing system.

joe1821
Apprentice
Apprentice

@pjama,

It appears ARLO is going to ignore our complaints and just do whatever they want to do.  Their bottom line is the only thing that is going to change what they do in the future.  I, for one am looking for a new system.  Your idea of making the timeframe configurable is also a good suggestion.  ARLO does not care what it's customers think apparently.

dcfox1
Master
Master

@TomMac wrote:

Don't mind the 2 week login.... it's a pretty good time frame.

BUT, I still think it should be optional !

Agree, It should be optional but I'm fine with 2 weeks compared to every login. 

AikaneKai
Apprentice
Apprentice

ARLO!  This is NOT a solution.

WTH?  Make it persistent not 2 weeks.  Also return the 12-hour timeout rather than the USELESS 30 minute time out.

Seriously, YOU DON'T LISTEN.

hennesbe
Star
Star

How do I get away from these emails.  I keep unchecking the box.

I don't need all the drama anymore

dcfox1
Master
Master

@hennesbe wrote:

How do I get away from these emails.  I keep unchecking the box.

I don't need all the drama anymore

At the top at the title to the right is a down arrow. Select that and then select "unsubscribe" should work for this thread. 

hennesbe
Star
Star

Thanks,  I'll see if that takes care of it.   I don't mind the email notification for a situation that exists that I might be interested in.   but this one is out of control.

Some day I'll subscribe again and be careful when replying to ensure I uncheck the box if I don't want a hundred emails.

dcfox1
Master
Master

You can still reply even afterward.

AikaneKai
Apprentice
Apprentice

I just tried their 'solution' and as we've all guessed.

It still forces you to log off after 1/2 hour, and you have to log back in - which takes too long. 

When I bought Arlo, it left you logged in for 12 hours, unless you chose to log out.

If you refresh your browser when you're logged in, you're logged out and have to log back in again.

When I bought Arlo, they used local cookies to maintain the credentials.

These behaviors do not happen on mobile devices.  Arlo, why are you trying to cripple my browser access?  My guess is that it's because I can have Arlo record in the background on my computer, but I can't on mobile (which is another another shortcoming)

MDWORK
Guide
Guide
I totally agree.. I'm looking into new cameras system too. I can't use this two step verification on my jobs site because I do not have my phone or email while at work. If anyone knows as system that I can access cameras from a computer without two step verification. Please tell me. I need it within the next two weeks. I have a pregnant dog I need to monitor if she goes into labor. Arlo worked great for me but if two step becomes mandatory it will be useless to me. I wish arlo would leave it optional...
pc2k17
Hero
Hero

For those looking for a new system........... ReoLink. I just picked up a POE cam, and a couple wifi battery cams, and a 3TB NVR from them. Light years ahead of arlo. Check them out.

MDWORK
Guide
Guide
Awesome! Thank you... I'll look into it.
Nichols55
Star
Star

Arlo, 

You have over 300 posts regarding customer preferences.  You have over 2,000 views of people who are witnessing this discussion.  I would guess you have many many more who know nothing about this online conversation but most would agree with us.  MAKE IT OPTIONAL.  

d0lphin
Apprentice
Apprentice

Absolutely! I couldn't agree more!

Make it Optional!!

joe1821
Apprentice
Apprentice

@Nichols55

I couldn't agree more with you Nichols55.  ARLO apparently does NOT care about how many customers they are going to lose because of this stupidity.  OPTIONAL ARLO.  MAKE IT OPTIONAL!

CurbAppeal
Star
Star
Anyone else get the notification about reenabling 2fa in what I assume is Chinese?

Can this company do anything right?
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@CurbAppeal wrote:
Anyone else get the notification about reenabling 2fa in what I assume is Chinese?

I got one in English first, and when I dismissed it I got one in Chinese.

CurbAppeal
Star
Star
What a joke. This post says 2FA mandatory starting July 6th. I didn’t get first message until July 10th to turn on and it’s still working without it on. Plus I got the notification in a foreign language that I can’t read.

Can Arlo communicate anything correctly?
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@CurbAppeal wrote:
This post says 2FA mandatory starting July 6th. I didn’t get first message until July 10th to turn on and it’s still working without it on.

FWIW, they tend to enforce these changes somewhat later than they say in the warnings.  That's a good thing IMO, especially given this was a vacation week for a lot of folks.

But now that that they have added browser trust, it's clear that they will enforce it soon.  So I think it does make sense to turn it on and get it set up before they mandate it.

Dstrick44
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am going to cancel my account over this mandatory 2 step verification.  It is simply a heavy handed annoyance.

But that seems to be Arlo's tagline.  "Expensive, yet extremely annoying"

joe1821
Apprentice
Apprentice

It appears that ARLO is right in line with the political narrative that is going on right now in our government; they want to, "Control" everything regardless of what the customers want.  ARLO will see that the loss of customers over this ridiculous stance on something that is so easy to fix will cost them money.  The, "bottom line" is what always wins out in the end.  We will see how many choose to find a new system that allows the USER to control it as he wishes.

pc2k17
Hero
Hero

For those who want to cancel Arlo and check out other systems............ check out ReoLink. They have POE cams, wifi cams, battery wifi cams, solor panels, cams that pan, rotate, and tilt, cams with color night vision, 8K cams, 4G cams, and NVR's. And of course they have an app as well.

I just picked up a couple RLC-810A cameras and a 3 TB NVR. (nvr is your own personal cloud). Very nice. I'm replacing all my other POE cams with these. Since my arlos were before they made everyone pay a monthly fee, mine are still free, so I use them out by the apple trees in the back yard to capture deer. That's all they're really good for.

dcfox1
Master
Master

@Kaskillah wrote:

I wish I could have returned it to Best (worst) Buy but they only had a 14 day return window. They're as bad as ARLO.

You have post going back to 2019 complaining about Arlo so guess you still bought some new cams since that are beyond the return window. I do agree 2FA should be optional but I'm good with 14 days compared to every time. 

shauncore
Guide
Guide

So today I got a login screen on the website to set up 2FA, which can't be bypassed. Does anyone know why this is suddenly an emergency? I've got 2FA set up for most important websites, but I don't want to set it up for Arlo since literally nothing they make works correctly. And 2FA malfunctioning (which coming from Arlo it definitely will) will lock me out of my account, or at least require constant re-authentication of every device. Personally, I'd rather have my account less secure than not usable at all. If they ever actually fixed anything, I'd be less worried about it. But they put more effort into antiquating their old devices than fixing issues. If they're going to force this issue, it may be time for me to move to another brand.

Cue the canned, worthless response from Arlo saying to go to the support page for questions about 2FA...