Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Looking to buy Arlo Pro Solar Panel for Arlo Pro system. Any thoughts?

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
Kangal
Aspirant
Aspirant

Looking to buy Arlo Pro solar panel for my Arlo Pro system.

Read lots of reviews and most of them negative.   See alot of Arlo owners are getting charging errors.  Is it worth the investment to buy the Solar Panel?

I live in the desert southwest so i get alot of direct sunlight.     Really getting sick of getting the ladder out to charge my cameras ...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Kangal
Aspirant
Aspirant
6 REPLIES 6
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Where you are I would say yes,... If in a cold climate, I'd opt for extra batteries and a charge tube ( as the cam won't charge under 32F anyway )

There is a yr warranty if  an issue comes up... running one for over a year now and no issue .

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
JerryR
Luminary
Luminary

I live in Phoenix. I'm fairly certain my charging fault is only present on our hottest days here, say, over 110 degrees. The panel keeps that camera charged so I've learned to ignore the fault.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

I'm in New England, and use the Ultra solar panel.  It is useful in the winter too (although when it gets too cold the camera won't charge).  I don't need to charge the camera with AC very often, but I still do need to do it every now and then.

I suspect the panel will be all you need in Phoenix though.

storgeman
Apprentice
Apprentice

Well I live in Phoenix also, and my solar panels keep the camera batteries topped off every day.   However, the first set that I purchased, only one panel surrvived longer than 6 months.  It wasn't the panel problem, but I believe where I mounted the camera + Panel.  A large Monsoon storm one evening last year, ended up shorting out the solar panel cable.   I have hence figured out that you need to provide some shelter for the the camera (Because that is where I believe the moisture entered the cable). The panel & camera worked, but the cable caused charging faults.  I tried for months to get a new cable, but Netgear stated they were out of stock and couldn't replace it.  I waited for 6 months and never received a new cable.  So I went and purchased a new solar panel (Figured I would have a backup when needed), and noticed that the cable has been re-designed from the original, how ever still works on the older panels .  So for the last 9 months the panels maintain the batteries for both of my cameras. 

I really was going to expand my system, but with how delicate the camera's and Panels/cables are, I'am moving to another system (Hopefully more reliable than ARLO). 

JerryR
Luminary
Luminary

I'd be interested in what you decide to move to. I'm not terribly happy with my Pro system, mainly due to relatively short battery life (4 to 5 weeks), high solar panel cost and overall performance. I probably won't change to something else until/when my system starts dying. 

Kangal
Aspirant
Aspirant