Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Looking To Buy Arlo

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation
ccigas
Tutor
Tutor

Hello, I am looking into getting an Arlo Pro or normal Arlo and just have a few questions. Comparing these to the Nest, the prices are somewhat similar but the Arlo only records motion due to the battery and wireless nature correct? 

With a hard drive connected, when does the Hub decide on when to record to that? And it only also records motion and not continuous correct? 

How long do the batteries last on each of these cameras? 

I really like the wireless form of these, as well as having a hub, since my wireless network is congested of LIFX bulbs and Wemo switches among other devices. 

Also is there a live viewing of this? Can I use the app to view the cameras whenever I want? 

I doubt this one will be a yes but is there anyway to attach a NAS to the hub through the routers to use my NAS as a hard drive location to store video? I have a Synology NAS and can use the Surveillance station on it. 

Thank you !!!

2 REPLIES 2
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

ccigas wrote:

Hello, I am looking into getting an Arlo Pro or normal Arlo and just have a few questions. Comparing these to the Nest, the prices are somewhat similar but the Arlo only records motion due to the battery and wireless nature correct? 

Yes, the Arlos are "motion detect then record type systems ( mostly due to finite life on battery )

With a hard drive connected, when does the Hub decide on when to record to that? And it only also records motion and not continuous correct? 

The cameras detect motion and then record for the time set in the rules ( up to 2 mins ).

Back up record is with the ARLO PRO only... a usb hard drive can be used in case of internet failure...but the files are not directly acessaible, the drive must be ejected and then mp4 files play on another device...really is for backup only

How long do the batteries last on each of these cameras? 

Arlos for me last almost 4 months, PRO battery pack about three months on best video.. more use less battery time . Spec is =<5mins per day

Also is there a live viewing of this? Can I use the app to view the cameras whenever I want? 

Yes... live view via IOS/ANdroid/PC browser...live viewing uses as much power as recording , tho anything recorded to the library can be view with no battery usage.

I doubt this one will be a yes but is there anyway to attach a NAS to the hub through the routers to use my NAS as a hard drive location to store video? I have a Synology NAS and can use the Surveillance station on it.

NO

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
ccigas
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks for the reply, that helped me out a lot!