Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Long term effects and damage to an Arlo Pro camera in hot and cold temperatures?

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation
SummerDrive
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hello community,

I received the "Your camera needs to cool down before you can use it" message yesterday on an Arlo Pro Camera that is in direct sunlight and has a black skin on it. I read the posts about the operating temperatures and know this is why the message appeared.

My question is, what are the long term effects on the camera? I'm not in a climate where I expect to reach these temperatures all the time. It will shut down when it has exceeded the operating temparature, which is great, but could this limit the life of the camera? And what about extreme cold temperatures? I believe it will also shut down to warm up. Will this limit the life of the camera?

Thank you

P.S. I'm loving this product. So useful and works awesome, an incredible find and I have recommended it to many friends!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

If the temp ranges you reach are every now and then, I don't see an issue long term...the camera is shutting down to safe guard itself.

As to cold, the PRO has been tested in my freezer and does shut down at -4F +/- (states must warm up and comes back fine when it does ) ...this is done prob more for the battery safety than the cameras as the older Arlo I've run to below -10f without any issue.  ( btw, assuming/guessing the high end shut down may be for camera and battery both )

You may also want to consider moving into a shaded area instead of full sun to avoid temp shutdowns

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

If the temp ranges you reach are every now and then, I don't see an issue long term...the camera is shutting down to safe guard itself.

As to cold, the PRO has been tested in my freezer and does shut down at -4F +/- (states must warm up and comes back fine when it does ) ...this is done prob more for the battery safety than the cameras as the older Arlo I've run to below -10f without any issue.  ( btw, assuming/guessing the high end shut down may be for camera and battery both )

You may also want to consider moving into a shaded area instead of full sun to avoid temp shutdowns

Morse is faster than texting!
JPC
Prodigy
Prodigy

I wouldn't worry too much about the temp.. I'm worried more on the effect of Bad Firmware Updates which it can ultimately lower the life of an Arlo Pro or Non-Pro cam..

SummerDrive
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you very much.