Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Login Security Issue - Password field

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Tigereye79
Aspirant
Aspirant

I noticed a huge security issue with the app recently, that needs to be addressed immediately. The problem may also exist with computer access, but I haven't been at a computer to double check, yet. With the Arlo App for Android, I noticed that as you are typing in your password, the letters and stars are red until the last correct letter or digit is entered, indicating the password is correct. This happens before hitting enter. So someone can sit there all day, or set up a program that could easily hack into people's accounts and never generate a failed login, because you receive an indication that the password is correct before hitting enter. This is a HUGE security risk.

I called customer service on it today, which was a joke... They were extremely unprofessional, playing with their mics, breathing into them hard, and not transferring me to a manager, and wanted my account information, which I refused, because they were acting like children, and they didn't need my account information anyway to address the problem.

Does anyone know of a way to get this problem to management which doesn't involve going through customer service?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Tigereye79,

The dots do not stop appearing red when the correct password is entered. As you enter the password into the field, the dots will turn black once you've met the minimum requirements for a password (any password). This doesn't necessarily mean that the password you've entered is correct, or the accurate number of characters, it just means you've met the minimum requirements for the password field.

JamesC

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Tigereye79,

The dots do not stop appearing red when the correct password is entered. As you enter the password into the field, the dots will turn black once you've met the minimum requirements for a password (any password). This doesn't necessarily mean that the password you've entered is correct, or the accurate number of characters, it just means you've met the minimum requirements for the password field.

JamesC

Tigereye79
Aspirant
Aspirant

I did play around with it some more, and it does in fact do what you are saying, however, I'm not really sure why it needs to do this.  It doesn't do that on the computer version, and I know of no other sites that give a visual indication when you are entering your password that you have all of the minimum requirements met.  I can understand that for when you are creating a login, but to have that when entering your password for access seems unnecessary.