Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Is 2 Base Stations with 4 cameras each better than 1 Base Station with 8 cameras

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
johnnabholz
Follower
Follower

I want to buy 4 more cameras and I see it is cheaper to buy another 4 camera system with a base station than just adding on 4 more cameras.  Should I use the extra base station or not use it and just have 8 cameras on one base station.

If I do use it (large house) and have the two base stations at opposite ends, do the cameras connect directly to the nearest base station (manuall configured) or do they connect to the wireless router and then use ethernet to get to the base station.  In other words, if the router is on one end of the house and the base is on the other end of the house, which one will govern on calculating maxium distances for my cameras?

1 REPLY 1
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Think of one base making a circle.... two bases would make two circles of range which can overlap or not....It's the only way to expand the range coverage with Arlos. Each base would set up its own wifi network.

And yes, you should connect the closest cameras to each station ( can only be linked to one base at a time )

You either have to use ethernet to connect the far base (away from you router up to 100m ) , another access point with ethernet( doesn't have to be same network ), or a wifi expander with an ehtenet port can work to the max of the expanders range.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------