Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Intermittent Orange Network Light

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Travelin
Tutor
Tutor

I have a new Arlo Pro Wire Free 3 Camera VMB4000 Base Station bought and installed yesterday.  The unit set-up and functioned normally out of the box.  The problem is that it is exhibiting an intermittent orange network light. I tried accessing my base station through the Arlo website login and the base station was reported offline. I tried pinging my router from a remote server with the base station orange network light on. I was able to ping my router successfully, so I confirmed in real time that the cause of the base station orange network light is not due to my router or my network connnections. The network light will change back to green.  When it is green the unit functions normally and I can access it from my Arlo web account or from the Arlo iOS app on my phone.

Once again I have troubleshooted my network, router settings and cables.  My network functions normally when the Arlo Base Station network light is orange, and, as noted above, I can successfully ping my router.  After a few minutes the Base Station network light will change back to green on its own and everything functions normally and is accessible from my pc or my phone

Also, I have the same setup at another of my locations and although I cannot observe that base station first hand, I am getting occasional outages from that base station also. That entire network including the router, base station etc are connected to an uninterruptable power supply. I can access other devices on that network when the Arlo unit reports off line.

It seems to me that this is an Arlo hardware/software problem.

5 REPLIES 5
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

An amber Internet LED means that you have a connection to your router but not the Arlo servers. That can be c.aused by anything between your router and the servers. Could be the ISP, something about the path through the Internet or the servers themselves. Since there aren't mass complaints about this, it would seem to be particular to your location or maybe ISP.

One thing to try is to turn off your modem, router and base and then start them in that arder, allowing each device to initialize before going on to the next. No guarantees but sometimes it helps.

Travelin
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks for the reply.  I've tried the rebooting routine you suggest.  That's not the problem.  Also, please note, that I can successfully ping my router from a remote server WHEN THE BASE STATION NETWORK LIGHT IS ORANGE, this tells me that my network connection to the internet is active when the Arlo Base Station network light is orange.  So I've ruled out my ISP and my local network as the problem.

Also, my desktop pc is showing an active internet connection at the same time that the Arlo Base Station is showing an orange network light.

I do agree that the Arlo Base Station network orange light might be due to the Base Station connection to the Arlo servers, but I have no way of independently testing that potential cause.

To repeat, I can ping my router successfully from a remote server when the Arlo Base Station network light is orange, so my network and my ISP are providing a live network connection at the very same time that the Arlo Base Station network light is orange, and my desktop pc is showing an active internet connection at the same time.  Therefore I have ruled out my network and my ISP as the source of the problem.

Also, please note that I have another Arlo setup at another location that has been working flawlessly for six months and only recently begun to report intermittent outages when everything else on the network is working normally.

I don't have any other means of troubleshooting this problem.

Travelin
Tutor
Tutor

Just wondering if anyone has anything useful to contribute to this question.  My network connections and ISP are not the problem.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Travelin,

If you've ruled out network and ISP, I recommend contacting the Arlo Support Team to investigate further.

Arlo Support Team

JamesC

Travelin
Tutor
Tutor

With no intervention, this problem has disappeared.