Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
Jaspurba
Guide
Guide
IFTTT applet failed- if motion detected call my phone.

This recipe was working fine earlier and stopped working since last few days.
72 REPLIES 72
wldrns1
Guide
Guide

JamesC: I realize things take time...2 months with no communication whatsoever by either party is  a bit long, don't you think? FYI, the IFTTT Applet says 'There's a problem with the ARLO SERVICE', not the IFTTT service! Look like each party blames the other and neither is concerned about any of this in any way. Too Fat & Happy.

BobbyPolo
Aspirant
Aspirant

The criminal part of this is Netgear still stating on their product pages that they support IFTTT when they know it is false. Since people will use this information in making their buying decisions, this is deceptive product marketing and damaging to their brand.

Anyway... like others have stated on this string, you can work around this Netgear/IFTTT problem by using Stringify (hopefully, Netgear doesn't break this linkage as well).  I use Stringify to capture the motion detection from the Arlo camera, and then pass this trigger to IFTTT to turn my Lutron/Caseta light switch on/of (Lutron doesn't support Stringify, which is why I have to use both services). See attached.

paradisesurfer
Aspirant
Aspirant

What a shame this isn't an Arlo feature. Just before I hit the reset and went with Nest who makes this feature easy I figgured out a workaround. I tried dropping my cell number email (cell # + @mms.cricketwireless.net) in my Arlo settings for an email address but that didn't work so I set it back to my gmail account. From gmail I set up a filter that looks for arlo and forwards to my cell#@mms.cricketwireless.net. Now I get text messages. There's also a woopla IFTTT function to call your phone but you have to pay woopla coin per call. It's not much but kind of a pain. NetGear shouldn't make this so difficult.. Common NetGear Guys! 

AhTan
Initiate
Initiate
Anyone has any update? I am getting really pissed!!
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

An update went out late last week that should resolve the issue users were experiencing with IFTTT applets failing. Please let us know if you are still experiencing an issue.

JamesC

LeNoir
Star
Star

@JamesC

I just tested the IFTTT rule - if motion detected turn on light, and it worked. I am pleased it is working again.

wldrns1
Guide
Guide

JamesC

I am not home to do a physical check. What is supposed to happen when pressing 'Check Now' from the IFTTT app?

Thx,

Joe

ikanell
Star
Star

@JamesC, I am still experiencing the problem with IFTTT not being able to access my Arlo service.  I just checked all my Arlo devices, and they all say "No updates available".  All my cameras are on 1.2.14205, and my basestation is on 1.9.4.0_15548.  Is this the latest version you were talking about?  If yes, why isn't it working?  And if no, how can I get the latest?

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

ikanell,

The release was a backend fix, not a firmware update so no user interaction is needed on your part to receive the fix. Which recipe are you trying to use? Do any recipes work? Which Arlo devices are you trying to use with IFTTT?

First thing to attempt would be relinking your Arlo account to IFTTT, delete existing recipes and recreate.

Do you still see the same behavior?

JamesC

ikanell
Star
Star
James,
My existing recipes are working fine. But whenever I try to create a new recipe, any recipe, that involves Arlo, I get an error message. Given that so many other users report that unlinking and relinking makes no difference, III am reluctant to do that because it might disrupt my existing recipes that are all still working. I use 5 Arlo cameras (NOT Arlo Pro).
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

ikanell,

Can you provide the recipes that are working and the recipes that you are attempting to create that are not? This may be helpful for the engineering team to isolate.

JamesC

Muunkie
Guide
Guide
No new applets work because you get stuck when choosing device.
Apprentice
Apprentice

James IMO tell your "engineering" department to fix it as if NG CEO Patrick Lo's own cams depend on it. This is ridiculous. A NASDAQ listed company company can't get its act together after 3 months? Don't you feel ashamed at the incompetence?

ikanell
Star
Star

James, look at the reply by Muunkie.  It is currently impossible to create ANY NEW applet (they're not called recipes anymore, BTW) that involves Arlo, because the device lookup fails.  It is embarrasing (for you and for Netgear) that you don't know this.  Just try to build ANY applet that involves Arlo, and you'll see what your users are saying.  You should be ashamed for even asking me this question, especially since I've already answered it in my previous post to this thread.  If you're not even going to read our questions carefully, and if you're not even going to try to duplicate the obvious problem, how can you hope to ever provide answers?  Maybe it's time for me to finally dump my Arlo cams and get some Ring spotlight and floodlight cams instead.  You guys were there early with good hardware, but your software is disappointing and you're quickly falling behind the curve in IoT.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

I've escalated this issue back to engineering with the details described here.

I will provide an update when I have more information.

JamesC

bosemanhousehol
Tutor
Tutor

I returned four cameras and two base stations because of the overall lack of IFTT and or Stringify maturity.  Specifically the lack of a fully baked IFTT applet to call your cell phone.  They have to understand without this their products are no more than expensive "smart" cameras.  Just a neat gadget!  

pc2k17
Hero
Hero

I've tried to stay out of this issue because I don't use IFTTT, simply because I didn't like it. That said, I don't blame you for dumping Arlo cameras because the netgear engineers can't get their act together.

But..... what you said here isn't really all that true. I use the Arlo cameras with Samsung SmartThings and everything works flawlessly. The cameras are more than neat gadgets when used with SmartThings. I use them not only as cameras, but as motion sensors and switches to turn on/off other "things" and or lights. Plus SmartThings can do anything you can do with IFTTT, and more in many cases. Yes SmartThings has an initial investment of $99 for the hub, but it will allow you to automate your entire home (as I have done), and the Arlo cameras work without issue when connected with SmartThings.

So for anyone who still wants to keep the Arlo cameras and isn't happy with the IFTTT integration, take some advice from a real engineer, give SmartThings a try, you won't be dissapointed.

Jayvee
Aspirant
Aspirant

For me IFTTT seems to be working again.

But the time it needed to fix this issue (Sept to Dec 2017) is not acceptable.

bosemanhousehol
Tutor
Tutor

Let's analyze this reply strickly from my POV.  So take it with a grain of salt.  I am accurate in saying these are useless if they themselves can not complete this event.  No matter what the external trigger medium is (IFTTT, fill in the blank..).  As their own website states, "Introducing Arlo Pro 2.  Your own personal security blanket."  While "security" can mean different things to different people.  Recording an event, but not having the ability to warn\alert me with a means by which does not include me having to waking up to check every text and or email notification isn't much of a security measure.  Now if security to one means who's doing what via monitoring a live stream.  Or who did what in a specific point in time then yes you have your self "security".  Frankly the notification of an outward call should be baked into the original eco system.  Call me crazy!!!!!!   

Yes, I can buy external options such as SMart THings, but hell I paid $900 for what then? 

Oh and for the record I am a "real engineer", I just expect (as I do when I work on my own needed solutions) not to exclude an important feature and leave it up to someone or something else to fix\resolve for me!  That my friend is real engineering!  Be the answer, not the problem.  Hell don't sell the farm to buy a cow.  OK, so that last one doesn't apply, but I just liked saying it!!!!!!!!  Cheers!  

Muunkie
Guide
Guide

Almost a month has passed, any news @JamesC ?

KCDesert
Guide
Guide
  • Of course not. They have no solution. I’m going to return mine and get an actual smart camera solution.
ikanell
Star
Star

@JamesC, your lack of response is unacceptable, but what is really horrible is what has been going on with my Arlo cameras.  On 1/15 everything on my account disappeared: no basestation, no cameras, nothing.  After 2 years of use, it's as if nothing ever existed.  About 24 hours later, on 1/16, Arlo sent me an e-mail entitled "Is your Arlo System offline?", with instructions on how to rebuild everything from scratch.  I responded with questions, but of course I have heard NOTHING back in 2 weeks.  And just now IFTTT notified me that all my Applets that involve Arlo have been turned off because Arlo is not reachable.  Several expletives come to mind when I think of Arlo specifically and Netgear generally, but I'm determined to keep it clean.  Your solutions are terrible, and your customer support is even worse.  I wish I had never bought my Arlo system, and I will do my best NEVER to buy any Netgear product again.

JoeCymru
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I find it quite disturbing that since the IFTTT applets stopped working with Arlo last September, and numerous threads and posts have complained here, that the applets written by Arlo still are available on IFTTT. I am using Stringify, but have used and am using IFFT elsewhere. If Netgear is abandoning the connectivity problem, then they should abandon it. People who buy Arlo systems and use IFTTT should be cautioned to use some connectivity hub hardware, or something else other than IFTTT...

... or buy another brand than Netgear. 

To let this hang fire for this amount of time, while the Arlo written IFTTT applets still appear in the Arlo applet choices (along with all the others written by other people or hardware suppliers) is wanton disregard for those who lost this functionality and unfair to those who expect a company such as Netgear to have this rather common functionality.

What is more, the silence from Netgear after the original response on the community forums (the engineers will look into it) is blatantly disrespectful to its existing customer base.

At least tell us to bugger off, you will not be doing anything about this becasue it has low prioity ... or something. That would be disappointing, but silence is both disappointing and insulting.