Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 14 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation
Jaydog
Aspirant
Aspirant
It only seems to happen on only one camera. I go in the app and turn off the camera. But then I see recordings during those times when it should be off. The main devices screen shows the it is disabled but apparently not?
14 REPLIES 14
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Take the trouble camera and remove and replace battery pack to reset...

Check the live view screen for the 'running man' and make sure he is gray when you have disarmed the camera.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
Paul_FCCL
Prodigy
Prodigy

TomMac wrote:

Take the trouble camera and remove and replace battery pack to reset...

Check the live view screen for the 'running man' and make sure he is gray when you have disarmed the camera.

Tom:

I had this happen to me once before (on original wire-free cam) when setup in a nested rule. If camera is to record from a motion triggered by an other camera, it will record regardless of its on/off status. Sounds crazy???

I reported problem to netgear (also to JamesC here), however the answer I was given from support was: yes, camera will still record. So camera "off" does not mean completely off.

Makes no sense......but that's the way it was. Have not tested for that in a long time, not sure if still the case.

Regards,

Paul

Jaydog
Aspirant
Aspirant
Mine is only happening with 1 out of 4. Pulled the battery and replaced it, but continues to record events.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Paul_FCCL wrote:
I had this happen to me once before (on original wire-free cam) when setup in a nested rule. If camera is to record from a motion triggered by an other camera, it will record regardless of its on/off status. Sounds crazy???

I reported problem to netgear (also to JamesC here), however the answer I was given from support was: yes, camera will still record. So camera "off" does not mean completely off.

There are some issues that are "by design" that drive me nuts but until we can convince the engineers that that's not what WE want, it is what it is.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Jaydog wrote:
Mine is only happening with 1 out of 4. Pulled the battery and replaced it, but continues to record events.

Open a case with support.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jaydog,

Do you have the camera set up for cross recording? ( when motion is detected on a different camera it triggers the camera you are describing to record)

Paul_FCCL,

I would like to revisit this topic with engineering...can you point me to where I (or support) provided you this answer?

JamesC

Paul_FCCL
Prodigy
Prodigy

Paul_FCCL,

I would like to revisit this topic with engineering...can you point me to where I (or support) provided you this answer?

JamesC

This was back at the end of last October......hope it helps.

‎2016-10-29 05:50 PM

Paul_FCCL wrote:
JamesC wrote:
Paul_FCCL,

Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I have tested this and I see this behavior as well. I have escalated this issue.

JamesC

Thought I'd give you an update on this........contacted tech support and after a couple of calls I was told that "it's supposed to be like that" so OFF doesn't mean completely off for a camera, it only stops the motion sensing but not the recording, when triggered by another camera.
I still believe it's wrong camera behavior, just like anything else.....OFF means OFF!
Thanks.
Paul

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Paul_FCCL,

Thanks for the citation...I have raised this topic again. I'll post back with an update when I know more.

JamesC

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

I have been informed this is working as designed. If you do not wish for a camera that is toggled "off" to record based on cross-recording rules, please select a mode that does not include a rule for this camera.

JamesC

MarkC
Luminary
Luminary

JamesC wrote:

I have been informed this is working as designed. If you do not wish for a camera that is toggled "off" to record based on cross-recording rules, please select a mode that does not include a rule for this camera.

JamesC

James, they really need to change this though or add another option that is a TRUE OFF otherwise what is the point in having this option in the first place. You can have numerous rules and on occasion may want to stop a certain camera from recording but you are not able to do this. The OFF option should do exactly what it states otherwise it makes no sense. If they say it is by design then what is the reasoning behind this? Is it possible for you to ask them for this reasoning behind the design, perhaps we are missing something but my bet is that they will not have a reason. I cannot see any technical or even common sense reason for it to behave this way tbh.

What purpose does the OFF option actually give if it will still record if triggered via a rule. I mean if you have to use a different rule then you may as well just ignore the camera when creating it in the first place especially if even when set to OFF the camera is not actually OFF right. All it does is prevent it from appearing in the list which is sort of silly as you may as well just ignore rather than setting it to OFF.

If you did not want it motion sense then you would simply just not enable it to rather than using the mislabelled OFF option.

OFF should mean OFF and it should not be triggered by a rule if set to this state. If someone sets the camera to OFF then they do not want it to record period, irrespective of any rule that may be attached to it. Surely that is the whole point. Smiley Happy

I ditched Arlo! As a Company they hold their Customers/Us in complete contempt! We beta test producs for them, the products only work properly for ~70% of the time at best!

If you are serious about your home or work security then look elsewhere! Get a ip Camera System with an NVR and some Blink XT cameras to cover the places you cannot run a cable to. You will NEVER regret moving away from Arlo!
Jaydog
Aspirant
Aspirant

I agree.  Could you explain the justification between the difference of having direct vs cross recording rules where when you set the camera as OFF, should remain OFF, right?  Why is the direct recording rule respect the OFF toggle, but the other doesn't.  This sounds like a bug to me and *NOT* a feature.  Typical BS to cover it up.

I'm truly interested in how the PM justifies this behavior?  If valid use case, then fine I'll live with it.  Otherwise, it should be fixed, right?

Paul_FCCL
Prodigy
Prodigy

JamesC wrote:

JamesC

Yes just what they told me too.........I would take that as "wrongfully designed". Sorry but it still makes no sense at all. It's a flaw, a mistake or an oversight.

Paul

MarkC
Luminary
Luminary

Can we put some formal request in to have this changed to how we all feel it should be? I do not believe that anyone out there would want it to work 'as designed' lol. Simply makes no sense at all. There is NO logic that could apply here in the slightest.

I ditched Arlo! As a Company they hold their Customers/Us in complete contempt! We beta test producs for them, the products only work properly for ~70% of the time at best!

If you are serious about your home or work security then look elsewhere! Get a ip Camera System with an NVR and some Blink XT cameras to cover the places you cannot run a cable to. You will NEVER regret moving away from Arlo!
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

MarkC,

The Arlo Idea Exchange is the best place to post this kind of request for feature improvement or implementation. I recommend posting your thoughts and ideas on this topic there.

JamesC