Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

I purchased Arlo Ultra 2 Cameras & a base station 3 months ago. They have stopped recording.

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
jjoebaker
Aspirant
Aspirant

It is just 3 months since I purchased this system, and I have not subscribed to the service they offer, because I don't need to keep the recordings online.  Instead, I transfer them to my computer hard drive.  But now my cameras have stopped recording anything.  What gives?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@jjoebaker wrote:

But now my cameras have stopped recording anything.  What gives?

Assuming Ultra 2 cameras (per your title) - what happened is that your trial subscription ran out. You don't get any cloud storage with the Ultra 2 w/o a subscription, so the system has no place to store the recordings.

If you have a smarthub (VMB4540 or VMB5000), you can use direct access to local storage w/o a subscription.  You'd insert USB storage (a microSD card in the VMB5000).  https://kb.arlo.com/000062337/What-is-Direct-Storage-Access-and-how-do-I-use-it

There are a number of limitations:

1. recordings only directly accessible in the app (not the web browser)
  2. recordings only available to the primary account (not friend accounts)
  3. No manual recordings or snapshots can be stored
  4. no thumbnails
  5. remote access requires either port forwarding or a vpn connection your home router.  Many find that difficult to set up.

Note the first limitatation means that you'd need to download the recordings from a phone or tablet - not a PC.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Dannybear
Master
Master
What are camera models you have?
Any pro2 or older cameras came with free 7days cloud recordings. Any camera models post 2018 require a subscription.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@jjoebaker wrote:

But now my cameras have stopped recording anything.  What gives?

Assuming Ultra 2 cameras (per your title) - what happened is that your trial subscription ran out. You don't get any cloud storage with the Ultra 2 w/o a subscription, so the system has no place to store the recordings.

If you have a smarthub (VMB4540 or VMB5000), you can use direct access to local storage w/o a subscription.  You'd insert USB storage (a microSD card in the VMB5000).  https://kb.arlo.com/000062337/What-is-Direct-Storage-Access-and-how-do-I-use-it

There are a number of limitations:

1. recordings only directly accessible in the app (not the web browser)
  2. recordings only available to the primary account (not friend accounts)
  3. No manual recordings or snapshots can be stored
  4. no thumbnails
  5. remote access requires either port forwarding or a vpn connection your home router.  Many find that difficult to set up.

Note the first limitatation means that you'd need to download the recordings from a phone or tablet - not a PC.

jjoebaker
Aspirant
Aspirant

I can record the videos to an SD card inserted into my base station and view the recordings in the Arlo app on my iPhone.  I am still trying to figure out if I can delete recordings using my iPhone.  Right now, I take the SD card and insert it into my computer and then can delete recordings or save them to my computer's hard drive.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@jjoebaker wrote:

I can record the videos to an SD card inserted into my base station and view the recordings in the Arlo app on my iPhone.  I am still trying to figure out if I can delete recordings using my iPhone. 

You can't - Arlo doesn't provide that facility.