Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

I have a DSL service, is there any issue with bandwidth? How and when does it upload to the cloud?

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
shawnh199
Aspirant
Aspirant

I wanted to know how the system chooses what videos to upload and if there was any issue with bandwidth.  I currently have DSL and the Internet gods arent in any hurry to bring any other sort of service my way.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Streak2
Master Master
Master

If you have the system armed and have set every camera to respond to motion then every time there is motion a video clip will be uploaded to the cloud.

You can decide how big the clip is by setting the length of it eg. 10 seconds and the quality of it. Lower quality will mean a smaller file gets uploaded.

A high-speed Internet connection (minimum 1 Mbps upstream recommended) is required for reliability. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Streak2
Master Master
Master

If you have the system armed and have set every camera to respond to motion then every time there is motion a video clip will be uploaded to the cloud.

You can decide how big the clip is by setting the length of it eg. 10 seconds and the quality of it. Lower quality will mean a smaller file gets uploaded.

A high-speed Internet connection (minimum 1 Mbps upstream recommended) is required for reliability. 

rdgwd
Guide
Guide

Just so you know, I too have DSL (and it sucks), we're suppose to be getting AT&T fiber soon, but it's not here yet.  Today I bought the Arlo Pro and have been testing it.  Seems with 120 second video clip it takes quite some time to upload.  I'm testing a 75 second video clip to see if it's better.  If not I'll go back down to 20 or 10 seconds.  The alerts in the app come quick, just the videos at the longer length take quite some time to upload and be available (in excess of 10 minutes).  I do plan on picking up some more cameras.  I only bought the one for testing right now.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Have you checked your upload speed using speedtest.net?