Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

How to get my Arlo Pro to send me alerts when it detects movement

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
Weathergirl78
Follower
Follower
Hello, Just got our Arlo Pro (with 3 camera's) Have the camera's set up inside looking out of windows on different sides of our house. The picture is nice and clear during daylight hours, but it does no work at night. All you see is a big blob of light reflecting against the window. Also, how do I get it to send alerts to my iPhone and iPad and MacBook when it senses movement? Any help is greatly appreciated, thank you!
3 REPLIES 3
brh
Master
Master

@Weathergirl78

The Arlo Pro models are not designed to work through windows. For that you need the Arlo Q or Q Plus. The sensors will not detect motion through glass, thus no notifications.

Brian

hokeysmoke
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

The Arlo Pro cameras use a passive infrared sensor which detects heat movement.  The sensor uses very little power (so the batteries can last a long time), but it does not work through glass.  Fortunately, the cameras are wire-free and weatherproof, so they can be put outside safely.  Mount them outdoors and they will operate properly.  At night, the IR LEDs will turn on and illuminate the image like a flood light (although people can't see the light).

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The "blob" at night is the IR illuminators coming on and reflecting off the glass back into the lens. Disabling Night Vision fixes this at the cost of relying on external lighting.

Of course, motion detection doesn't work through glass so I'm not sure how you're getting things to record in the first place.